Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Close Shaves .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Close Shaves .

That wasn’t the old comrades club in Whitley Bay was it ? My grandfather was one of the founder members there after the 14/18 war. The barmaid was sworn not to divulge anyone who was there by irate wife’s on the phone. It was a men only conclave. you may have known Olly Armstrong just up the road from me was chief with me on a couple of ships. Died a dozen years ago now. The Briardene was on the seafront end of the street and the Kittiwake at the inshore end. Very convenient. Cheers JS
    R575129

2. Thanks Tony Taylor, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    That wasn’t the old comrades club in Whitley Bay was it ? My grandfather was one of the founder members there after the 14/18 war. The barmaid was sworn not to divulge anyone who was there by irate wife’s on the phone. It was a men only conclave. you may have known Olly Armstrong just up the road from me was chief with me on a couple of ships. Died a dozen years ago now. The Briardene was on the seafront end of the street and the Kittiwake at the inshore end. Very convenient. Cheers JS
    No John, it was the working mens club in my home village of Kibblesworth.
    I did use the Briardene and the flats you mentioned as navigation aids when I had my boat. If I lined up a buoy with the pub and the building and ran towards shore on that line I would run up to a reef called Briar Bushes which was a good spot for fishing, the water was crystal clear right to the bottom at about 4 fathoms, something you mught not expect off Whitley Bay

4. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes if going up or down the coast say Yarmouth to Aberdeen used to go in close to the coast there to wave to the wife on the beach, looked like at times it could have been a two fingered one. It puts quite a bit of extra distance on as the coast bends inwards there. Should have put the frc down and slipped into the Briardene , thought about it at times. They did some nice meals there at times. The best fish and chips though were at that pub at Seaton Sluice. Came in 3 sizes big bigger and biggest. Prawns in garlic sauce were my favourite at the Briardene, JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 22nd January 2021 at 07:48 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    I have had too many to mention here. One or two I was warned by "Security" not to speak about it, not to write about it, "IT NEVER HAPPENED , OR ELSE,"
    or else what?? "JUST OR ELSE" more scary than the event.

Just had the usual ones, Drowning, my mate Ken died. I was saved , Fire on a tanker, Crashing into the Southern Ocean in a helicopter, . Fell 50 feet off a mast etc plus operations in a world tour of hospitals, due to accidents and illness/
    I guess I have been Lucky
    hi capt kong
    same with me, my wife always tells me to keep my mouth shut, or ( Else. )
    tom

7. Likes j.sabourn, Doc Vernon, Captain Kong, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Be a man Thomas put your foot down. Just do it outside where she can’t see you. JS
    R575129

9. Thanks thomas michael thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes if going up or down the coast say Yarmouth to Aberdeen used to go in close to the coast there to wave to the wife on the beach, looked like at times it could have been a two fingered one. It puts quite a bit of extra distance on as the coast bends inwards there. Should have put the frc down and slipped into the Briardene , thought about it at times. They did some nice meals there at times. The best fish and chips though were at that pub at Seaton Sluice. Came in 3 sizes big bigger and biggest. Prawns in garlic sauce were my favourite at the Briardene, JS
    that kind of thing might have qualified you to captain an Italian cruise liner a few years back ha ha

11. Likes thomas michael, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Be a man Thomas put your foot down. Just do it outside where she can’t see you. JS
    hi john sabourn
    its easy for you to preach,
    tom

13. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When it comes to wives Tom , I just keep mum both literally and physically and financially. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 22nd January 2021 at 11:37 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another what I consider a close shave was in 1957 or could have been early 1958. I was 3 mate on a ship again in B.A. had been ashore doing things that people do. Coming back into the South Dock slightly inebriated staggered back onto the ship and straight to Noddy land. Waking up next morning with the usual reactions of the previous boisterous evening gone , could not find my clothes , thought the engineers had snuck in during the night and hidden them , the other2 mates were too solemn to have done so. Went out onto the boat deck and found an old pair of grey trousers , everything else was gone cleaned out total . There was a further 9 months to this voyage and that is what is called being schooner rigged. The ships laundery man came to me and said someone down 25 de Mayo was selling a third mates uniform, so in desperation I gave him my last few pesos to try and recover.I lost them as well.To the mate and second it was a huge joke until they found they had been cleaned out also money wise , At least they had their clothes. The close shave bit was that I stayed unconscious whilst being robbed as no doubt there would have been 2 of them one all ready to slit my throat , so good I stayed asleep. That same evening a Norwegian seaman had been held up in the docks and robbed, he thought he would have a go, they took his arm off with a machete. The gangway watchman had nothing to report so they probably boarded on the offshore side. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 23rd January 2021 at 12:07 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Horse and Groom in Southampton have a quite beer with a couple of mates.
    Two of the 'girls' saw us and said I like that one pointing at me.
    We were out of there quicker than that with one of them shouting, 'No I saw him first'.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast