Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Writing a novel featuring 1930 Burnyisland Economy Steamer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Writing a novel featuring 1930 Burnyisland Economy Steamer

#68. Re wages for US seamen. In 1995 Iwas master on the Dickerson Tide of New Orleans , Louisiana , USA. The American master had to be carried due to the American Law about citizenship which Britain used to have at one time. However he was resigned on as 2 mate and believe he stayed on as of the same US salary , which was 60,000 US $ per annum, the chief engineer also had to resign on as 3rd. Engineer and don’t know what his salary was. Even allowing for the difference of exchange rates between Australian and American dollars there was nothing in it. An Australian AB at that time was on 60,000 $ Australian per annum, but with the added benefit he. Was on 1.1 days paid leave for every day served. In other words he worked less than 6 months to accumulate 60,000 $. The American got no where near these leave entitlements . The American told me himself he wished he was on the salary of an Australian AB. There were other inducements which he never even knew about e.g. if you were not permanent with a company , you were paid 28% loading on top of that salary, and only 2% to the union itself as against 5%. The drawback to this was that no money went into your retirement benefits. I have no idea today what the wages are but during my time they were the best I had ever seen. JS...
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 18th January 2021 at 06:25 AM.
    R575129

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith at Tregenna View Post
    The earlier seamen, were a different again breed of men. Recorded and repeated often that
    never did a ship not sail for a lack of crew, these heroes left knowing they may never return,
    some returned then left knowing they may never return, then some returned then left knowing
    they may never return etc etc. The Heroes of the Red Duster: The British Merchant Navy.

None of the Allied services engaged in World War II was in action longer or suffered a higher
    percentage of casualties than the British Merchant Navy.

K.

I think I read more seamen lost their lives than sailors during WWII. Had a brother-in-law aboard a submarine during that period. Lost his hair overnight after a depth charge run. The brotherhood of men is going to be a theme in this novel. The following novels will take the crew and ship into Hitler's mess.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Keith Tindell liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just finished "Lord Jim" by Joseph Conrad. "Sailing On Friday" by John A. Butler and "Looking For A Ship" by John McPhee arrived yesterday. Finding it hard to find books from the British point of view

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If haven’t already done so try the Cruel Sea, And a. Flock of Ships. JS
    R575129

8. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Also try 'The Real Cruel Sea' by Richard Woodman ISBN 184884415-8 The Merchant Navy in the Battle of the Atlantic 1939 - 1943 approx 770 pages. Not to be confused with the novel 'The Cruel Sea' by Nicholas Monsarrat which is more Royal Navy aspect.

Richard Woodman is an Ex Master Mariner

I would not bother with 'The Battle of the Atlantic' by Jonathan Dimbleby ISBN 978-0-241-97210-6 because it is full of errors and written (compiled!!) by someone who it appears does not know one end of a ship from another and is relying on reports mainly (apparently) from Army, RAF and Naval historians,(who may never have served) it would probably never have been published, if it hadn't been for his name, or more liklely his father's name.

When speaking with Admiral West and another Admiral (circa 2008), whose name momentarily escapes me, he told me that the RN has no real idea how the MN works so well with limited crews and he was then speaking about an era 40's -70's when a normal crew was 50/60 on a cargo ship rather than 20/25 today. He said we have twin screw (or more) vessels, with approx 15/20 people on the fpc'le, the same aft and the same on the bridge and we still hit the bloody quay. You have 5 on the foc'le, 4 on the poop, 3 on the bridge, single screw and come alongside without cracking an egg.

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You should have said we take Birthing lectures on the Ship Master Medical Book. Ivan. Tells you how to assist damsels in distress and also poor little chicks before they hatch . JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes i always enjoyed watching navy ships anchoring or tying up ....hands falling over each other not doing anything sept trying to look sharp .....while old peggity and the deck boy plus a mate loooking bored to death tied or with chippys help dropped the hook ......lol cappy

13. Likes Ivan Cloherty, N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    You should have said we take Birthing lectures on the Ship Master Medical Book. Ivan. Tells you how to assist damsels in distress and also poor little chicks before they hatch . JS
    Wish I'd thought of it at the time!

15. Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

here is an attachment with the terms. I hope

- - - Updated - - -

Looking for an English version of “British Tramps - and Their Peacetime Contribution to World Shipping History “. Can find it in German used. Danial Jones has it for $60 used. Waiting to confirm it is in English.

“ When you sort book two have them call in at Cardiff, Wales would give a welcome. “
    I plan on three books so far. Book four will be to Cardiff.

“There is a qualification for 3rd. mate in the American Marine world, Not in the British. “
    Is this just a paperwork reason? They still had to know the skills and duties.

“The Cruel Sea” is one of my favorite books. Just sent “flock of ships” to my Kindle.
    Attached Files Attached Files

17. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

British Tramps and their Peacetime contribution to World Shipping History by I.G. Stewart.
    Ian Stewart Marine Publications
    P.O. Box 5154
    Rockingham Beach ,6168,
    Western Australia
    Fax & Tel (08) 95931331
    First Published 1997.

Should be able to find somewhere on the net.

Cheers JS

Covers Background History The British Trampship
    Development
    World war 2
    Post war years
    New trends in design
    British liberty ship replacements
    All the shipping losses
    Plenty more in its 514 pages
    I have never read it all myself and have had it since 1998 as is still in pristine condition.
    Ps have moved house 3 times in that period as well.

JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 18th January 2021 at 12:44 PM.
    R575129

19. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty liked this post
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast