Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How old are you

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default How old are you

Born 1930 to 1946 facts

Special Group / Born Between 1930 - 1946. Today, they range in ages from 75 to 90. Are you or do you know someone “still here”?

Interesting Facts for you.

You are the smallest group of children, born since the early 1900s.

You are the last generation, climbing out of the depression, who can remember the winds of war and the impact of a world at war which rattled the structure of our daily lives for years.

You are the last to remember ration books for everything from gas to sugar to shoes to stoves.

You saved tin foil and poured fat into tin cans.

You saw cars up on blocks because tires weren't available.

You can remember milk being delivered to your house early in the morning and placed in the "milk box" on the porch.

You are the last to see the gold stars in the front windows of grieving neighbours whose sons died in the War.

You saw the 'boys' home from the war, build their little houses.

You are the last generation who spent childhood without television; instead, you imagined what you heard on the radio.

With no TV until the 50's, you spent your childhood "playing outside".

There was no little league. There was no city playground for kids.

The lack of television in your early years meant, that you had little real understanding of what the world was like.

On Saturday afternoons, the movies gave you newsreels sandwiched in between westerns and cartoons.

Telephones were one to a house, often shared (party lines) and hung on the wall in the kitchen (no cares about privacy).

Computers were called calculators; they were hand cranked.

Typewriters were driven by pounding fingers, throwing the carriage and changing the ribbon.

INTERNET' and 'GOOGLE' were words that did not exist.

Newspapers and magazines were written for adults and the news was broadcast on your radio in the evening.

As you grew up, the country was exploding with growth.

The Government gave returning Veterans the means to get an education and spurred colleges to grow. Loans fanned a housing boom. Pent up demand coupled with new instalment payment plans opened many factories for work.

New highways would bring jobs and mobility.

The Veterans joined civic clubs and became active in politics.

The radio network expanded from 3 stations to thousands.

Your parents were suddenly free from the confines of the depression and the war, and they threw themselves into exploring opportunities they had never imagined.

You weren't neglected, but you weren't today's all-consuming family focus. They were glad you played by yourselves until the street lights came on. They were busy discovering the post war world.

You entered a world of overflowing plenty and opportunity; a world where you were welcomed, enjoyed yourselves and felt secure in your future though depression poverty was deeply remembered.

Polio was still a crippler.

You came of age in the 50s and 60s. You are the last generation to experience an interlude when there were no threats to our homeland. The second world war was over and the cold war, terrorism, global warming, and perpetual economic insecurity had yet to haunt life with unease.

Only your generation can remember both a time of great war, and a time when our world was secure and full of bright promise and plenty. You grew up at the best possible time, a time when the world was getting better...

You are "The Last Ones." More than 99 % of you are either retired or deceased, and you feel privileged to have "lived in the best of times!"
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How old are you

And not a councillor in sight to help you get over breaking your finger nail, Oh dear.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And the radio our parents listened to, was powered by an accumulator, and taken to the local garage to be charged, kt
    R689823

4. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    And the radio our parents listened to, was powered by an accumulator, and taken to the local garage to be charged, kt
    We had no gas, electric or water laid on and had to walk two miles along a river bank to get the glass accumulator charged, they were very heavy things for young kids. Never had gas/electric/water in house until I was twelve and half years old, mother was over the moon, she'd had a hard time over the previous ten years, bombed out three times and then living for 6 years in a condemned cottage with no facilities, then we moved to a three bedroomed Council House in Hull, sheer bluddy luxury (in our eyes!) turn on a tap and water came out, pull a chain (well you know the rest!) flick a switch and the light came on, got many a clip for playing with it, with the admonishing words 'what are trying to do.......blow us up' and on top of that we had a garden with apple and pear trees and raspberry bushes, jeez were we king of the hill.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#4 Ivan I first met my wife in 1957. I thought she came from money just because she lived in a private dwelling, found out later she didn’t. Like you we moved into a council house newly built in 1948 after being two years on the waiting list and seeing newly arrived refugees getting first choice. Even in those days the boat people under a different guise were in existence . It was the first and only time we ever lived as a family group under one roof together and as one. It was short lived for me because 5 years later I was at sea , and only visited at short intervals for very short leaves. 73 years later my brother still lives there . But with different neighbours who I would find it extremely hard to love as the refugees come boat people seem to have taken over the whole shooting bag of tricks. JS
    PS Keith the first radio my parents owned , I bought for them after being at sea a few years, previously had a rented one, the same as their first TV and washing machine , I also bought. They were luxuries to most people.They only had a phone in the house because my brother bought one as needed it for work. Whatever they did have my mother used to look well after it. They weren’t the days of teabags and soft living, the tea was made with leafs if you could afford and was well used over and over again. It was the days of survival by taking empty bottles and jam jars back for the refunds on them. And yet people seemed so much better adjusted than the moaning crap that the modern day person is quick to come out with. Some of these moaning gits get right up my nose and hope they enjoy the company of the big green ones that reside there. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 22nd April 2021 at 10:28 PM.
    R575129

Lewis McColl Guest

8. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#5.. Michael I think the best way to describe those who are always too willing to find fault and disguise the truth with fantasy is...
    I hate people that say, “ He’s a nice guy once you get to know him”.
    They might just as well just say -“ He’s a prick but you’ll get used to it”
    JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well i am in that age group !!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We are all Vernon and all have our tales to tell.
    Like my GGF who had an ensuite of sorts in Sunderland way back in the early 1900's.
    He kept it hanging on a nail outside the back door and Friday night it went in front of the fire for all in the house to have a bath, needed or not.

Times were tough for so many and the saddest part is that some of the younger generation complain if the battery goes flat on their mobile.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Lewis McColl Guest

The tin bath Friday it was called in our family. The house I was born in had no bath room and an outside toilet, Gas lighting. It was my grannies house. My Dad put the electric in. At least that is what I was told. I do remember both my grans houses not having a bathroom and an outside toilet.
    The saying don't throw the baby out with the bath water.baby.jpg
    Last edited by Lewis McColl; 23rd April 2021 at 07:32 AM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast