Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Health and Safety at Work

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Health and Safety at Work

During the U election we have seen many politicians visiting factories or other places of work. On each of the visits, said politicians are wearing hi vis best, safety glasses an hard hat.
    Today Nicola Sturgeon was shown visiting a factory, she was wearing high vis best, safety glasses, are hat and high heel shoes!
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Health and Safety at Work

igh eels! well laddie had she hadna yea naw wud ad seen er!
    Last edited by Mike Hall; 28th April 2020 at 10:19 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This post didn’t seem to go very far. As many have different views on safety at sea and as in other posts have made my personal views clear , that as far as I am concerned ships crews should undergo all their meetings and lectures on such ashore and not reliant on being taught at sea during their own off duty time. Let me say that out of all the courses of varying types. That I did ashore I found the most graphic one both actively and physcological wise was the Huet course here in Fremantle. The course actually starts with telling you how to get in and out of the different types of helicopters due to their different configurations, we do not really take too much notice of what type of machine we are in , so the same rule applies to them all. The first graphic picture shown to one is an ex pilot of one minus part of his skull where his eyes once were where there only existed a 1 inch gouge deep, right across the fore part of his face, he actually survived. This was caused by himself forgetting and walking round the fore part of his own aircraft and the rotor blade was still turning .This course was done every two years , and I think most people got the message. The actual other parts of the course re the escapes from a sunken helicopter kept one up to the various tecniniques of different escapes , if you were lucky , enough to survive the impact on hitting the ocean.
    Sitting in a class of off duty crew yawning at their lack of sleep and being lectured on how to fill in an accident form to make it appear that no loss of time appeared, I did not consider worth the loss of sleep, and worthy of the title Safety. Meeting. JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 10th April 2020 at 12:28 AM.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only safety meetings I ever had at sea was lifeboat and fire drill. No safety instructions as to how to hold on when being bowsed under the bow when painting over the side, or what to grab onto {Anything} if perchance the bosuns chair broke away from the gantline while painting the mast, you already had a fall back position in your mind. And anyone worth his salt knew to make sure there was one hand for the ship and one for yours truly. I wonder how many times after a serious accident, the people who work these safety rules out says, "Never thought of that happening". Just a thought.
    Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The first two Des were BOT sports and required by law. Primary I looked on it as a measure to check that the gear was all in working order. The others were seamanship and part of learning your trade. Safety courses were supposed to inform you of all dangers and hazards outside of your normal duties. Even a gyro course on how to dismantle a gyro compass and put back together had its safety values , as were told that The Carbon Tetchrachloride you used for cleaning the machine could have fatal affects on your using, it was a number of years before this was taken out of service.. seamen today have different targets than yesteryear , instead of lifeboat certificates , of more value is a coxns cert. for a frc. Seamen today are told on various courses how to act as landing officer for helicopters landing on decks of ships for crew changes etc. In Australia as you know they are now classed as IR and can serve both in E.R. And deck so must know the basics at least of both. They even do the cooks job on ships with less than 13 on board. I think the UK hasn’t had that law passed yet , as has always been one of the few laws that people haven’t fiddled with, but nostalgia will no doubt come to an end sometime.. More pieces of paper today’s seamen have more to contend with, but a piece of paper is just that a piece of paper, it is the persons ability that one looks for and always has been. That Norie Smith I mentioned I relieved him in Shimonosaki Japan, the master there at the time was another Welshman also called Smith, I thought at the time was an unusual name for Welshmen, especially as they didn’t get on too well either. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 10th April 2020 at 02:25 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On UCL the only training I recall was boat drill rowing around Durban harbor.
    Then on the Paparoa on the open seas having to use the Jacobs ladder to climb down into a life boat and then back onboard.
    Not easy with the ship on the move and rolling a bit.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Bob Dunkley liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As i have said before, in my time at sea, fire drill was a joke, anyone entering a serious fire in a smoke hood which relied on a guy pumping the bellows outside would be crazy, means of communication being pulling on a line, like a fish at the bait. I would think that today they would have compressed air self contained sets, which require less training to use. kt
    R689823

10. Thanks j.sabourn, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On the L.S.A. Certificate of old Keith it usd to be one bellows type smoke helmet with safety hat and fire axe, together with safety line with direction e.g. 1 tug let out more hose, 2 tugs let out more line, 3 tugs pull me in . The self contained breathing apparatus was supposed to be used in conjunction with the bellows type , And as advised that 2 people went in together. That is shipboard stuff. As I said previously my neighbour was the ex fire chief for Plymouth and he used to tell me , he always felt sorry for those seamen who went through the ships fire fighting course as he said they had to do in a couple of days what a trained fireman took a couple of months over., and the fireman was considered still a rookie . Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 10th April 2020 at 08:17 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#7 Crazy for using that helmet and having someone pump the bellows, that's exactly what my late wife called me when she discovered that is exactly what I done for four hours when stationed in Dubai. I wouldn't have told her but I changed my sodden and burnt clothes in my office for fresh ones, but the Harbour Master told her as she was friendly with his wife. I had cargo aboard a Greek chartered ship and just happened to be aboard at anchorage when the fire was reported in the foc'le, your training immediately kicks in, they had no self contained unit only the Siebe Gorman bellows and the Greeks wouldn't wear it, I advised the Master to call the harbour master and get the tug out there. I donned the helmet and two A B's came with me and pumped that bellows for hours, the tug arrived and the British skipper came down with his self contained unit and spelled me 10 minutes on 10 minutes off. When we'd finally controlled we found out that all the crew apart from the Master, C/O, the 2 A B's, two engineers who kept the pumps going had packed their cases and taken the motor lifeboat to another Greek vessel at anchor. Got a thank you telex from the owner but no compensation for the burnt clothes and damaged spectacles. I often wondered what report the Master had sent to his owners

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Are you sure you didn’t interrupt a barratry operation Ivan. The Greeks had the reputation for even if it wasn’t justifiable and falsely accused mostly.. probably the old smoke helmet was where the producers of space wars got their inspiration for Darth Vader.. JS.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast