Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: rank GP1-GP2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default rank GP1-GP2

Whilst reading the tribute of the MV Derbyshire today , posted by Gulliver, and saw in the ranks the above , having sailed in a bygone era i am wondering what these ranks are?, and what duties they had to perform?. I am sure those of you who sailed fairly recently can enlighten me, much obliged KT

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Engine Ratings

Hi Keith T
    As far as i know they are referrered to Engine Ratings GP1 and 2
    Motorman Fitters
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Gulliver Guest

Talking Re: rank GP1-GP2

GP (category 1 or 2 depending on grade of certificate held,e.g. I suppose GP 1 would be equivalent of AB or Motorman,GP2 as OS or Wiper)stood for General Purpose,used to denote ratings with originally either a deck or engine room ticket-they could be used in either capacity depending upon a vessel's manning requirement for any particular voyage.,and probably just another method used by the Pools when facing a shortage of certain ratings on some ships,caused I suppose by shipowners employing foreign crews and the subsequent continued decline of the British MN.

I think it was used from late 70's or early 80's through to the 90's?I didn't sail with any GP ratings so I don't really know,but others here on site will be familiar with the concept I feel sure.

Although not exactly a GP case,I was once pleasantly surprised,and bemused when my brilliant Filipino steward on one ship turned up on the next as an AB.
    On my port cargo watch I often felt unsure whether to ask him to tighten the moorings..or bring me the cold meat platter.Doh.....gif

Gulliver

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I believe that originally the concept was that ships would carry " general Purpose " ratings GP 1 or GP2 , There is quite an old concept of GP (General Purpose)Rating referring to those who are qualified both as Deck as well as Engine-room rating. . Ratings that
    are qualified under both II/4 and III/4 may be referred to as GP2. Ratings that are qualified under both II/5 and III/5 may be called GP1.I looked up on the Clyde Marine Website and found they refer to Engine Room ratings as GP Ratings

http://www.clydemarinetraining.com/c...man-fitter-gp1
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: rank GP1-GP2

Things certainly changed a few years after i came ashore, just as well, as my knowledge of the engine room consisted of asking for water on deck. KT

9. Likes Doc Vernon, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I only sailed GP crew once in 1971 for a very brief trip , Once was enough . In my opinion it was a. Stupid idea , I would almost be as bold to say Deckies are only happy in sunlight or starlight , but then I went on tankers , and. Saw a few working in tanks that made the Engine room hands jealous of the amount of oil their opposite numbers could get covered in when tank diving
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From my memory of BP Tankers in the early 70's we were manned by 10 GPs - 3 on Bridge watches, 3 on Engine Room watches , 3 on deck duties day work (mainly chipping & painting) and
    1 assisting the 2 x Petty Officers (Day work). They were rotated through the various duties in a 10 week cycle. Cheers

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was told a few years ago by a seamen down in Port Melbourne Mission, that many crew now come under such a name .
    On ships such as containers the crew are allocated all manner of duties.
    Not the convential way we knew.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

15. Likes Keith Tindell, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cannot say I ever sailed with GP ratings. On every safe Manning certificate I have seen the rating wording on his certificate was " rating, verified to be part of a navigational or engineering watch. The STCW certification system has two layers for all certification, one being part of and the other being in charge of,
    (My wording to paraphrase the actual wording).
    In most company contracts there was inserted something along the lines "the seaman agrees to work in any other departments As and when required".
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I first sailed with GP crew in 71, the terms GP1 and 2 referred to crew members roughly equivalent to AB and OS as far as I recall. There was quite often "discussions" between the mate and C/E about division of labour, most of the GPs were deck lads who were not keen on working below (unless it was cold and wet outside) and the mate obviously thought his jobs took priority.
    We also had PO mechanics instead of junior engineers; these guys were ex firemen who had attended a short training course, some were good and some had no idea, just wanted the money.
    At the time I was sailing as 3/E and was not always happy that these guys were earning more than me due to overtime payments which some Chiefs controlled tightly, so that I ended up working overtime for nothing on jobs they were more than capable of, such as bulbing up. The other side of the coin was that I was responsible if they stuffed up, as I said some were good but there were some not so good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast