Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The jobs we did before and after our Sea life .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The jobs we did before and after our Sea life .

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Portwig View Post
    hi you ever see the link by les pivic - soul of a railway ?
    Brings back some good Memories Bryan, those old Garrett Locos were something in their times. When i was on the Long Distance Trains as Steward we had Double Headers pulling us through the Little and Great Karoo,s and Boy could the Balega!! (Run Fast)
    Had some great times on the Trains and met many People including some Dignatries along the way.
    Here is the Link to your posting .
    Cheers

Soul of A Railway - Glencoe-Vryheid-Piet Retief by Les Pivnic & Bruno Martin © (google.com)

Added More interesting reading on the old Garrett Loco.
    Cheers

The Big Fiery Giant - The Story of the Beyer-Garratt Locomotive | The Heritage Portal
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 28th November 2022 at 09:50 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Began at the tender age of ten delivering papers, would the kids of today get up that early?
    After sea life took on numerous positions before settling down.
    But all my years in hospitality stood me well, never a day out of work.
    But all that hard work paid off, we are now in a good position financially and enjoying life.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the thing is back in the day the jobs were everywhere to is far to different young people with some no hope so they turn to selling drugs sad but true? jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very true John, i well remember, if you did not like the job you were in, leave, and get another immediately. Not well paid jobs in my case, but plenty of work.
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From my early years I always had some kind of a job. Up early paper round and same again in the evening. Later on when I officialy started work I would work Saturday mornings and sometimes in the evenings in a Petrol station. While serving my time in Lairds I would go to night school 3 evenings a week, that was until thank god day release was introduced . I was always into motor bikes and later cars so had to work to afford a banger. Bikes were fun but try getting your leg over so to speak on a motor bike in winter ,so it was cars for me.

Kids these days the jobs are few and far between , paper boys I don't think exist anymore as people read online or rarely buy a news paper, let's face it papers are economic with the truth.

Even super markets used to employ a lot of teens from 6th form but not as many as they used to.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here in Oz we have an unemployment rate of about 3.5%, very low.
    That is about 450,000 unemployed, but we have about 600,000 jobs crying out for workers.

But hey, I am not going to do that job, not what I want so will continue with the dole thank you.

That is the attitude of so many now, hospitality is one of the worst hit industries, crying out for staff, but an industry where there is and always will be work.
    For those who want to work of course, not the bludgers.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whether one likes it or not Brexit depleted the numbers of those employed in the Hospitality sector here in the UK.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    Whether one likes it or not Brexit depleted the numbers of those employed in the Hospitality sector here in the UK.
    Whether one likes it or not,Brexit also stopped the never ending supply of cheap labour arriving from Europe that drove down wages and working conditions in the hositality industry and other sectors. It appears to me that the hospitality sector are crying out for people to fill job vacancies which will never be accomplished, as long as they pay minimum wages with bad working conditions. The whole sector are still bleeting they need to be allowed an exemption from present immigration rules or they will go bust etc. Here in london average 3* hotels are between £500-£900 for a 3 night weekend stay. The price of a pint of ordinary lager is over £6 and rising, a meal for 2 in a reasonable restaurant £120-£200. Most hospitality venues are charging top money without paying top wages.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not according to HMG it did not as those working here from EU countries were supposed to be paid the National minimum wage.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john walker View Post
    Whether one likes it or not,Brexit also stopped the never ending supply of cheap labour arriving from Europe that drove down wages and working conditions in the hositality industry and other sectors. It appears to me that the hospitality sector are crying out for people to fill job vacancies which will never be accomplished, as long as they pay minimum wages with bad working conditions. The whole sector are still bleeting they need to be allowed an exemption from present immigration rules or they will go bust etc. Here in london average 3* hotels are between £500-£900 for a 3 night weekend stay. The price of a pint of ordinary lager is over £6 and rising, a meal for 2 in a reasonable restaurant £120-£200. Most hospitality venues are charging top money without paying top wages.
    Exactly how it is. Near us is an empty building site, half completed, but left derelict for over 2 years. I often chatted with the workers, who were all Eastern European. They were employed through an agency in their home country (much like the ships crews on UK ships). They lived in accommodation supplied by the Agent, a dozen in each house. None of them were paid anywhere near the minimum wage, in fact they were always complaining of how little their pay was.
    The builder can't now finish the job due to lack of funds, they have several sites in the same position in Essex, huge sites, abandoned. All kinds of excuses have been kicked around, but the real reason is being kept quiet, probably due to money being bunged in the past.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast