Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Just a warning to ALL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Just a warning to ALL

We have never owned a credit card or mobile, though we are thinking of getting a cheap one for emergencies when we drive to Canberra.
    But shows how these ars$#$s ply their trade if one is nor careful. Our bank here in Cooma closed two years ago, so any transactions we do we have to go to Canberra, or a place called Marimbilla same distance the other way 100Ks, we got a garbled phone call saying that our account had been accessed and to let them know the password so they could check it, or to call this particular number to let them know.
    Jesus I have been conned to join some rust buckets in my time but this was pure armature stuff, trouble is there are many out there who are getting on in age who get caught by these Bastwards and are losing their savings. Time to bring back hanging.
    Des
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lots try to con saying they are calling from the tax office or centrelink. I just ask their name and number and say I'LL call them back later. Usually ends in a hang up. Mostly my calls go to Telstra messages or if landline my answer machine.....again either no message or a hang up. Irritating but fact of life these days. Don't actually get many as unlisted landline and all else pre paid.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We had a call some time back which for a couple of minutes sounded genuine.
    Then he mentioned the phone company, not mine so I put the phone down on him.

He called back a minute or so later, her indoors answered.

He asked why we had hung up on him, the reply from her was amazing in telling him to do things to himself which I considered almost impossible.
    He may well be walking with a limp if he tried it.

But had a video the other day from USA where a guy answered the caller telling him he was police conduction a murder enquiry into the man he was calling. Carried it on for several minutes.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a right bloody idiot on the phone the other week, Remember the cook book you applied for online a few days ago................... NO, Yes you must be into fine cuisine to want my recipe book i commend you sir you have fine taste and you wont be dissapointed, All i need is your sort code number and i will take 1 for postage and package,Why a 1 is that worth a phone call, Well sir i am that confident that once you try a few recipes as your a man of good food and taste you will come back for a more detailed book. No ta i don't want your book Sir please what bank are you with, Halifax i said which i am not, Your sort code number will begin with 11 they all do with Halifax go and get your card and give me the other numbers the book will be on its way to you today. How many have fell for that one. Lads if it sounds to good to be true then it obviously isn't its as easy to put the phone down as it is to pick it up Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We all cannot allow ourselves to get ga ga, they would clean us out in minutes, but being ex seamen we grew up with scams all over the world, and got pretty shrewd with it. A few trips through the Suez and a call into Aden certainly kept your wits about you, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Had one years ago, apparently from a double glazing company, conversation ended with how many windows have you in the back of your house?

6 - And in the front ? - 8.

Have you any doors ? Answer: Of course, how do you think I get into the house ?

I just put down the phone.

K.

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 4th August 2020 at 07:38 PM.
    "Our veterans did not forget about us .... Let's not forget about them." From Michael Levesque

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Victoria.
    Something the Govt could use in they're many adds on TV, it to inform the public that the tax office will send you anything my mail not phone, the same as banks,
    Des
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Glad you said that Des. Couple years ago I did get a letter from the Tax Office informing me they had some lost super that they were trying to give me. This despite the fact I had checked for lost super years ago and was told I had none!
    They also said my last employer (many years ago) had failed to pay into my super the right amount so did I want that too?? They had audited them and had fined them. I asked could they fine them again as they were horrible to work for!
    It wasn't much money but hey it is all money so I took them up on their offer. The tax office girl laughed as she said I wasn't the only ex employee who wanted the employer fined again.

9. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Victoria, from experience the only time the tax Office contacts any one is if they are after money.
    Never heard of any giving money back.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Likes Denis O'Shea, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John it's my charm sweetie. Or my cheek as my hubby says. LOL