Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Buries Markes

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Buries Markes

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Although I never worked for BM sailed with those who had very interesting stories to tell about the various phases they went through re manning of some of their ships which at that time I found very intriquing, the following is from records kept by someone..... When completed in 1947, the LA Cordillera made history in that she was the only British ship to have an entire staff of women in her catering department. From the outset her owners, Buries Markes Ltd. brought the Trade Unions concerned into discussions, and obtained their prior, full approval. Considerable care was taken in selecting those suitable from the hundreds of applicants received, and detailed consideration was given to the problems involved with such an innovative departure from accepted practice. Those engaged were ex-WRNS personnel. Considerable thought was given to the layout of their accommodation, which was arranged in self contained quarters at the forward end of the boat deck, this deck being for their own use. The ship had also been provided with accommodation for 12 passengers, but this was not a success owing to the vessel trading world wide. For it was never known where the vessel was going, or how long she would be away, so eventually this aspect of her trading was discontinued. Claimed an "emphatic success"to begin with the La Estancia was also provided with an exclusive 14 woman catering crew, all ex-WRNS and then later La Pampa . Although La Estancia and La Pampa were existing vessels, it was felt that the problems associated with so many females crew members would be better alleviated in ship design, rather than attempt to modify existing tonnage. Other shipowners however were reluctant to adopt the change. More ships in Buries Markes were to follow the trend, but for several reasons, after a short number of years, the practice was discontinued. That is the Official version put out, the version I and many others heard was that it was lack of Birth Control education and was costing a lot of money due to re-patriation of various crew members. Also my own observations reading that report is.... why choose WRNS to the best of my knowledge in those years there were no serving members on HM ships, so had no special sea going experience as an advantage. Going back to my own experiences with the Navy, anchored off Lisbon one time and acting as the de-gaussing vessel for the minehunters, we had about 12 wrens on board who had to be off the vessel by Dark, however due to the special exercises we were undertaking with the fleet this was impossible and special exemption had to be given from the Admiralty, listening to various matelots, it was the first time since Nelson that serving WRN personell had stayed officially on board an HM vessel, we were not a RN vessel however so maybe the exemption came easier. Cheers John S
    Gary Philip
    Re Buries Markes
    I was very interested in reading the above article, as my grandfather was the captain of the LA Cordillera at that time, he was also the captain of the LA Pampa. My grandfather was Captain Matthew Frame, and I have an article that was written at the time with a photo of him with the wrens.

2. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by davet View Post
    Hi my name is David Thomas & I worked for BM in the late 70's to early 80's. I run a secret group on Facebook called "Friends of Buries Markes". It has over 60 ex-BM men as members. Please look me up if you are an ex-BM man & request to join. We share photos, memories & general chat. Old friends have found each other via this group, it's secret so the rest of Facebook can't see your conversations or steal your photos. Look me up, David Thomas from Liverpool.
    My name is paddy keeler I sailed on the Montrose/Montcalm in the sixies

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anybody sail on the La Pradera 1962-63, Durban for Christmas.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by davet View Post
    Hi my name is David Thomas & I worked for BM in the late 70's to early 80's. I run a secret group on Facebook called "Friends of Buries Markes". It has over 60 ex-BM men as members. Please look me up if you are an ex-BM man & request to join. We share photos, memories & general chat. Old friends have found each other via this group, it's secret so the rest of Facebook can't see your conversations or steal your photos. Look me up, David Thomas from Liverpool.
    Hiya David,
    I served onboard Tsuru Arrow 1978 thru to La Cordillera 1981. Best time of my Merchant Navy life. Wish I had kept track of the many friends I made there. Sadly no fotos either.
    Wud like to apply for this "Secret" Membership.
    Shay Hickey

6. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2