Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: MV La Falda

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default La falda

Hi Mike

Change the ships names and your scenario could be any PSNC ship in the 50's, the owners certainly got their monies worth out of us, but at the same time it prepared us for anything thrown at us afterwards and I'm glad I did it, as the girls in Chile were a great compensation and the currency of a bar of Yardleys brought a whole new meaning to "He filled her soul with hope" when translated in Spanish read "He filled her hole with soap"

Ivan

Gulliver Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Hi Mike

Change the ships names and your scenario could be any PSNC ship in the 50's, the owners certainly got their monies worth out of us, but at the same time it prepared us for anything thrown at us afterwards and I'm glad I did it, as the girls in Chile were a great compensation and the currency of a bar of Yardleys brought a whole new meaning to "He filled her soul with hope" when translated in Spanish read "He filled her hole with soap"

Ivan

I've just had a bath,Ivan,and I am glad to say "I too have hope in my soul."
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gray View Post
    Hello George,
    My name is Michael Gray and I was an App with Buries Markes at the same time as you.Iwas in Vancouver end of 59 waiting to load grain. Had to wait a long time as the grain was wet and they had to use blowers to take moisture out. I was on the La Pradera. I wonder if you were on L;a Falder with Mike Compton. I think the old man was a nutter called Mike Hughes. I seem to remember everyone hid when they saw him coming.

When we left Vancouver for the continent and Denmark we we hit a bad storm and water flooded the chain locker and the forepeak.We travelled down the West coast like a submarine that could not decide to dive or not. When we crossed the Atlantic the weather was so bad we were going astern at times.

The other App were Eric Creasey, Iain Rodgers and Phil Henderson. I don't Know if you ever knew Bernard Gaffney but we went to London Nautical School together at age 11,left at the same time and were together on the La Cordillera and we are still in touch every week.

Let me know if you did know any of them ,
    Regards,
    Mick Gray
    I see our new friend Capt M Hughes featured in the above. Will you be saying hello Mick ?
    R 627168 On all the Seas of all the World
    There passes to and fro
    Where the Ghostly Iceberg Travels
    Or the spicy trade winds blow
    A gaudy piece of bunting,a royal ruddy rag
    The blossom of the Ocean Lanes
    Great Britains Merchant Flag

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi George,

Unfortunately I think you have got the wrong trip on the La Falda, or are confusing part of it with another voyage.. We started at Dagenham in April/May 1959 and finished in Avonmouth in February 1960, the first trip was to Los Angeles and,I think, San Francisco with cars and car parts. From there we went to Chimbote in Peru to load Anthracite for either Rotterdam or Antwerp. We loaded Volkswagen parts in Bremerhaven for Melbourne & Sydney and then took grain from Sydney to Tokyo. I think Longview came after Tokyo, but I know Christmas Day 1959 was spent in Tokyo.

Regards

Mike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Mike,
    I know the old gey matter gets tangled up and you could well be right, but according to my discharge book I sighned on on the 10/07/59 in Southampton and sighned off in Avonmouth on the 21/02/60, We spent the Christmas in Tokyo as you rightly you say. I realy can't remember how the trip whent but after leaving the dry dock in Southampton, we whent to one or two ports on the continent then accross to Curaco, then on through the Panama Canal, to Los Angelies, San Fransisco. after that the trip gets a bit hazey, but I think we returned to the continent, where quite a lot of the crew sighned off on the ageement they payed there replacements fares as well as there own, as a boy rating, I couldn' afford it but I did get promoted ast steward, that was on the 15/10/59. From there I think we whent back to the west coast of the US evntualy going into Longview then up to Vancouver, across to Melbourne, Sydney, over to Tokyo for the Christmas. After this I will stand corrected but I think we then came back to the Continent Via the Suez Canal. At some point in the trip we exchanged the cook at Gib ending up with a German cook. who seemed to keep to himself. Eventualy we made Avenmouth.
    George in Southampton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: did you know?

Hi Michael, Have never met you, but served my apprenticeship with Buries commencing on La Hacienda about August 1959, then La Colina, Montrose, La Pradera and last couple of months back on La Colina. The memory is going, but somewhere along the line i sailed with a Bernard Gaffney. I am sure he came from London, Chiswick stick in my mind. He played a blue and white electric guitar and did a good impression of Bobby Vee. I think it was either on the Pradera or Colina If it is the same one, a great guy. Regards Norman Ribbons

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My Dad Vivian (Viv) Parsons was on the La Colina from around 1958-1959 as a 17-18yr old till around 1969. I thought he was a welder but from what people have been telling me it would have been unusual to have a welder on board permanently.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Not certain if it helps but jobs:

Ordinary seaman/welder and AB/Welder on General Cargo Vessel
    are being advertised today.

Keith.

9. Thanks j.sabourn, Katie Gaskell thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe the sign of the times , but I never heard of it , but many others might of. You have AB/handyman why not AB/welder or AB/ bricklayer. Or anything else for that matter. You have Scaffoders and abselers on offshore structures. Maybe they were there in 1958 , would think there would have been welders also. Cheers fings ain’t wot they used Ter be. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 18th May 2020 at 10:59 PM.

11. Thanks Katie Gaskell thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2