Thread: Just out of Interest

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Just out of Interest

Looking for two answers which some on this site may have, Cappy in particular. 1. The recent death of Prince Phillip will be felt by different recipients of various Awards and 2 . Is a copy of one particular Award given on the warrant signed by the Queen and Phillip. Those who may have such warrants of relations of earlier years the query is were they worded the same.
    The warrant of 30 + years ago was as follows.

Signed in the top right hand corner on parchment and enscrolled in pen and ink.
    ELIZABETH the SECOND by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Terrorities Queen Head of the Commonwealth Defender of the Faith and Sovereign of the Most Excellent Order of the ..... .... .... .... to our trusty and well beloved
    .... .... .... Esquire.
    Greeting
    WHereas. We have thought. Fit to nominate and and appoint you to be................ of the civil Divisionof Our said Most Excellent Order of the ................

We do by these presents grant unto you the Dignity of an ........ of Our said Order and hereby authorise to have hold and enjoy the Said Dignity and Rank of ..............of our Aforesaid Order
    together with all and singular the privileges thereunto belonging or appertaining .

Given at our Court of Saint James under Our Sign Manual and the Seal of Our Said Order on this date
    ..........in the Said year of Our Reign

By the Sovereigns Command

Signed.

Phillip. Grand Master

Bottom left hand corner is the Grant of Dignity name etc.

Cappy your Grandfather in earlier posts received such and wondered, during the last war when the Monarch was King George V1. Who was the Grand Master then ?
    Also is the wording still the same as it was in the 1940s.
    The other query is who has replaced the Grand Master today ?
    Coming up to the Jubilee next month I would imagine there will be lot of Awards to celebrate the event and a lot of signing to do , I suggest to keep writers cramp at bay is to keep your wrist in good working order by exercising it by lifting the glass to the mouth more frequently . Cheers JS...
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 14th May 2022 at 02:07 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Just out of Interest

John the person who you say was my grandfather was ......not my blood but lived with my gran for many years .....he was captain ernest albert small his awardof theMBE...LOYDS MEDAL AND ROBIN EMILE AWARD was for the rescue of some crew after the sinking of the SS leo of hull after continous attacks from stukas off dover in 1940 ....he was chief officer at the time ....i was lucky enough to live with them on coming from sea ...and he was indeed a more than great mentor and friend to me....hisletter from the king was never on show niether were his medals ....but sadly although we discussed this award over a docking bottle i cannot remember the excact reading of the award ...as a matter of interest my own blood grandfather WA CRAM was mined aboard the SS HALO in which the father of a fine shields girl was lost ......we courted each other and not until years later did we know they were both aboard at the time....all these are sweet and sour memories ....i believe her brother peter ross was or is a member of this site....i believe the lady has now passed ....she was a true lovely gentle person .... regards cappy R 683532

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The name Peter Ross strikes a cord in the memory. Was he a journalist at some time say around the 80s . Is a fairly common name so chances are slim. For your info. In case you didn’t know your mentor off the SS Leo , his name is probably in one of the Chapels inside St. Paul’s Cathedral. Also his past history will probably be on file in the Chancellory in London if he has any blood relatives alive who seek any knowledge of his past. The Chapel is dedicated to members of the British Empire of all ranks, other Chapels to other Orders also. Someone else may have the info. As must be others on site who have family members in their history with similar awards. Hope Pat and yourselves still in good health . Take care . Cheers JS
    R575129

4. Thanks cappy, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

john i believe peter ross was an engineer from shields ....his father was also an AB lost when the halo was mined.....as regards capt e a small a fine man ....a mason who gave me his masonic ring in later years....as for his medals they were sold to pay an electric bill i was informed ....as having better circumstances in later life tried to find them to purchase for posterity sake.....only to find they had been purchased of a dealer by his own blood ....which was to the best of the event .......ernie was a barnardos boy .....sailed in sailing vessels ......and although of slight build was one exceedingly tough gentleman ......his ist vessel was the wigeon.....which he told me her bare bones were in the 50s still seen on jarrow slack ...she put to sea with a skipper his mate and ernie the boy ....he just constantly pumped the ingress of water out her ..by hand ......not easy times ......he also was left high and dry onthe vancouver coastafter the sailing boat co went bust in the 20s and as he put it rode the rails and hoboed his way across canada again a hard time ....he was a giant in my eyes ......sady just outliving my gran he fell asleep on his settee with his pipe setting the settee alight and giving him great burns from which proved eentually fatal ......his last word to me was ...im outward bound now .....i will see what happens next .i missed him greatly....such is life ......regards cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Racking the brain again as memory is not what it was , think and only think it was the name of some Scottish columnist who was in contact with me thirty years ago a few times , but if remember wouldn’t answer his questions. Other media people used to also email me saying they got the address from Peter Ross. Maybe the Scots May recognise the name those that read the Scottish papers that is. Think it may have been the Aberdeen Press and Journal. But not 100 % sure , especially having just been unable to remember the diameter of the earth at the equator. Sad when your memory fades especially when it follows eyes ears not forgetting the teeth. JS
    R575129

7. Thanks cappy, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#6 Marian there is a journalist who writes for the Guardian of Glasgow on the internet just looked it up, maybe or maybe not the same. Thirty years is a long time and his picture is of a young man in my eyes . JS

The name itself strikes a memory as have heard of it before. It may of been sometime after 1988 , as thinking back when Paul Berriffs partner got in touch with me much later about the documentary they made ,it may have been he mentioned as having got my email address from Peter Ross. Who may have been one of the journalists who traced me to ask questions about the 20 th anniversary or even one of the earlier ones , when still fresh in people’s minds. However as have said in previous posts never spoke for 20 years to any journalists and gave no information to them. He is just a recollection of a name on the end of an email. No need or requirement for sleuth work, unless you are looking for something to do. You seem however already to have your hands full with more important work tracing people for family members . Thanks for the interest however. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 15th May 2022 at 08:25 AM.
    R575129