Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone remember?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Does anyone remember?

hi ivan cloherty #21
    good day, talking of chart work, yesterday i downloaded a program from the internet, from raymarine for the updating of my plotter charts, i was duly imformed that my charts where to old to update, i have imformed them that the charts that james cook worked on from the 1760s in the pacific ocean are still being used in todays world.
    i await a answer from them.
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One kilometer is about 5 furlongs, not to be confused with furlongs the movers.

As said all distances and speeds here in Oz have been metric since the 1960's

But go to Ireland and be totally confused.
    On the motor way all distance is in metric.
    But on the smaller roads it will be in both, to be sure, to be sure.

But how did a knot ever get into distance?
    Was it from the days when sailing ships measured depth with a rope with different markings on it.
    Or some other manner?

Something of a knotty question.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A knot as most will know is one nautical mile per hour
    One nautical mile is 1 minute of latitude , so when you see John Wayne whether in the movie the Fighting Seabees or the Halls of Montezuma crouched over a Mercator chart dividers in hand he is measuring distances from the latitude scale at the side of the chart.
    To make it a little harder for non seafarers this distance will vary whatever latitude you are in , not by much , but enough to CRASH your ship. Reason is because no matter what they say the world is not round , now that should give enough reason to think your school teacher was round the bend.
    Now once again getting back to John Wayne in the Fighting Seabees , that is wrong info. and should be C.B. s which stands for Construction Brigade so what he’s doing with those dividers is anyone’s guess. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So, if I get pulled up by the police for speeding can I say I was only going at the speed of lattitude?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes thomas michael, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

He would probably arrest you for being drunk , and for not knowing what latitude is ? Do you ? JS
    Now if you said the speed of light that could be more believable JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 27th January 2022 at 08:08 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post

(i) A knot as most will know is one nautical mile per hour

(ii) once again getting back to John Wayne in the Fighting Seabees , that is wrong info. and should be C.B. s which stands for Construction Brigade so what he’s doing with those dividers is anyone’s guess. Cheers JS
    (i) yer aving us on yer, according to our Special Shipping Correspondent, the boat (ship) was doing 15 knots per hour, dumbkoff not realising that according to his statement after two hours the vessel would be doing 30 knots, after 3 hours 45 knots after 24 hours 'hang onto yer hat'

(ii) impressing the Americans no doubt, how a man who dodged out of military service during WWII became the idol of the US Marines defies logic, the mind works in mysterious ways

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Being gay may have had something to do with that.

Now John another one to test your brain.

One knot as you say is a measurement of latitude, but when did man first use such methods?
    Until 1492 when Columbus sailed the ocean blue there were navigators who only knew part of what we now call the world.

Then the nautical mile, was that also a result of the knot, and why knot, did it originate with maybe one of the European navigators way back in the 1300;s maybe?
    From maybe some latin name which was later converted to English?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes thomas michael, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#26 with the extreme risk of telling most on site , the same as telling their grandmas how to suck eggs , but knowing there will be visitors on site who may not know what am talking about ..the extreme basics to navigation..
    Latitude.. is the angle subtended at the centre of the earth by the equator and that point.
    A parallel of latitude is a small circle drawn on the surface of the earth going E and W joining places of the same Latitude .
    The Equator is a Great Circle.
    Longitude is the angle subtended by the Greenwich meridian centre of the earth and the point of longitude The same as latitude but is subtended by the Greenwich meridian and that point and is measured along the equator O - 180 degrees 180 degree E and west ,as against 90 degrees north or south for the equator . The lines of longitude are called meridians . Every meridian is a great circle. Every parallel apart from the equator is a Small Circle.
    Definition of Great circle a circle drawn on a spheroid whose plane passes through its centre e.g the equator and every meridian of longitude . Captain Cook had to learn that so you are in good company
    The earth is a terrestrial spheroid whose polar diameter is approx. 27 nautical miles less than its equatorial diameter. Get that in your mind and you will always know what lat and long are in good company especially on Australia Day. Cheers JS
    Knots have always had a significance to seaman as a measurement your history book Will tell you how they used knots on a rope to measure the distance travelled through the water and an egg timer to work out the ships approx. speed . However that was a bit before most of our times and when distances were in cubits and leagues .
    Cubits were used by the ancient Egyptians and the leagues during the Crimean was , by poets at least “ half a league onward into the Valley of death rode the 600 “ No doubt cheered on by the general who brought up the rear guard . Think he was the inventor of the cardigan.and finished up in the House of Lords . Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 27th January 2022 at 01:01 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john #28
    good day, the term knot comes from the early days of navigation, and comes about with the use of a sand glass to measure the time, ( and was refered to as the log glass ) a chip log line knotted to correlate with the log glass to give the speed, and as it was already known that a east - west position or latitude was easily to assume, then the work by a englishman john harrison to build a time piece called chronometer which enabled a longitude position to be accurately taken, the work by john harrison was akin to flying to the moon in todays terms.to be concise.
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I thank you both for your replies.
    But the question, when did charts begin using the longditute and laititude we have today.

Who came up with the concept of such, but I understand the knot and egg timer concept.
    On UCL ships they still had a log line running from the ships stern, had a daily sweep with the bloods on what we would cover in a day.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast