Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Articles of Engagement

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Articles of Engagement

I can’t imagine any company’s today apart from foreign flag opening two years Articles , on foreign flags I was on if they tried to get me to sign refused and would only sign for 12 months. Just before leaving deep sea to go offshore it was an agreement verbally with the company that all things being equal you would be relieved after 6 months. I would be very surprised if the British seafarer of today would even consider signing on a ship for two years , the Chinese crews I sailed with expected 2 years away , if they did told me they earned enough in that time to spend a year back home in mainland China at the end of it. But even there times must have changed . JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 14th January 2021 at 11:17 AM.
    R575129

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hope this one " blows up " a little bit bigger. If not, maybe a web technician can monkey with it. Granted, it's still an U.S. agreement, it might give some insight...
    Attached Files Attached Files

4. Thanks Ivan Cloherty, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post # 1 Hi Charles a bit before our time 1881 off the records held in Newfoundland some parts probably carried over to our time. One Home Trade The other F.G.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cruise ships of today maximum on any time is 9 months.

But do recall as Cappy tells it about the Vindi, sure saw no obese cadets there only starving ones.

But can all members be a bit careful about their title for a thread.
    Terms of Engagement, I thought you were going to talk about how you got married, frighten us all.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Should have been Terms of Agreement. But there again finishes up the same . You have to agree with whatever him/her says. Notice I am political correct, no ones going to get me on a technical point. JS
    R575129

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The articles of agreement consist of
    ALC1.. list of seafarers required to sign the agreement,
    Full name, d.o.b and place, next of kin and their address, rank, wages, signature or mark
    ALC2... Seafarers not required to sign...the master, young persons under 16, supernumeraries
    ALC3... conditions of employment, minimum quantities of water and provisions to be provided to each crew member, duration of articles and for voyages between 65N,60S latitude (2 of)
    FRE13, record of draught of vessel on departure from berth or port.
    Official log Book
    ALC3 and FRE13 to be posted in prominent position available to all crew
    Rgds
    J.A.
    (as best I recall)

11. Thanks Ivan Cloherty, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember on quite a few ships board of trade agreement and rations entitlement was displayed in the alleyway for all to see

Lewis McColl Guest

Was there not something called A & B articles. When I joined the Merchant Navy I started with Ocean Fleets we signed a 2 year agreement. I was offered a company contract after 8 weeks I think. I think by doing that I really did miss out a lot on what the MN really had to offer as I never signed on a ship from the Pool. Saying that i did stay 43 years so did see a fair bit. There must have been some characters working out of the Federation. 2 year articles disappeared and we went on to 6 month articles . The last few years we still signed 6 month articles but I was always back to back 10 weeks on 10 weeks off. Basically you worked it out between you and had a gentleman's agreement about every other Christmas or agree about family time. Only time I was let down was for getting home for my sons wedding. I walked off in Singapore told the Oldman and BP to stick the ship. Paid my own fare home. Got a phone call and was told my plane fare would be reimbursed. Had my leave and rejoined a the sister ship I had walked off. I was never even asked to explain my actions.

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is not the same i know, but is an Agreement and List of the Crew, given to all as i recall on signing on a Ship. It indicates the Period of Agreement plus lots of other Rules etc concerning the Crew Members taken on.
    This one is hard to read as i cannot get it sized to read owing t the Site allowable sizing, but i have taken a cut out piece of the full Agreement where you can see the 2 Year Clause. This one was for 1959
    on the Warwick Castle from London.
    Cheers

Last edited by Doc Vernon; 16th January 2021 at 10:59 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

16. Likes happy daze john in oz, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#18. A agreement was you were a company servant or more to the point you were on contract to the company usually for a 2 year period. For this you received certificate pay whilst at school. A fixed leave ratio higher than normal . Disadvantages were no overtime payments. B agreement was as the NMB agreement. Regardless of what agreement you were on , any stipulations in the Articles carried superiority over private agreements with the company as regards discipline on the ship. Wages may have been a few bob higher on A agreement but were not usually stated in the Articles usually APA was inserted where the wages should have been , As Per Company Agreement. On B agreement was the same wage as stipulated in the Maritime Year Book was also in the Articles. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 16th January 2021 at 03:26 AM.
    R575129

18. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast