Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

Trooping

4 Comments by John T Morgan Published on 17th February 2019 01:36 AM
    Trooping
    I was transferred from the “Somersetshire” to the “Cheshire” In January 1953, again as Quartermaster/AB. The “Cheshire” was a very different ship, larger and capable of 17 knots as opposed to the “Somersetshire’s struggling 10. My duties were the same, steering, keeping lookout and various assistant jobs for the Navigating officers

The passengers were very different too. About fifteen hundred Army personnel bound for duties in the near and far East. During my two voyages on the ship they were bound to and from Singapore to engage in a six-month tour of duty fighting Malay and Chinese communist insurgents in the Malay Peninsula.
    They were a mixture of regular soldiers and National Service men. Being a merchant seaman, I was exempt from National Service.
    The National Servicemen were all Privates and were about my age, on the outbound voyages they stood out from the Regulars in an unmistakable ‘rookie’ way. On the way home, they had changed into very fit and healthy young men indistinguishable from the regulars, the six months of living and working in the Malaysian jungle had obviously been of value to them.
    I was told that the principle under which they operated was to ‘capture’ the hearts and minds of the villagers by assisting them in every way possible such as providing medical aid, water and food, as opposed to the communist insurgents who preyed on the villagers and left them more destitute than before. I had no doubt that there were instances of jungle fighting but all in all the methods worked, with many communists changing over to the government side.

Onboard ship the troops were kept busy doing whatever troops do when not fighting an enemy, mainly physical exercises, lectures and equipment maintenance but there was relaxation too, films and leisure games not to mention beer! The principle watering hole was the Sergeant’s mess which anyone above the rank of private could attend. It was a custom to drink as many bottles of beer per day as the number of miles in the previous day’s ships run. At about17 knots this equated to some 400 so when the run was announced at Noon each day and if that number had been reached, or exceeded, a huge cheer went up and of course it called for another round or two!

Upon her father’s death in 1952, Princess Elizabeth ascended to the throne and was formally crowned Queen Elizabeth II on June 2nd, 1953. It was my good fortune to be in Singapore during the week of celebrations
    Singapore joined the rest of the Commonwealth to celebrate and paper mache crowns, coat of arms, signs bearing the words “God Save The Queen” and “Long May She Reign” were put up, buildings were adorned with lights and buntings. The entire city became very festive and a delight for a 19-year-old young man.

The” Cheshire” carried two deck cadets both about my age and who invited me to join them in studying for the 2nd mate’s certificate. I of course was delighted to do so, and we became firm friends as the voyages progressed. I was gratified one day to overhear the Chief Officer ask the senior cadet how the studies were going, and did he think that I would pass the exams, the reply was, “Sir, he will whistle through them”

I left the “Cheshire” in July 1953 and having obtained the required sea time I enrolled at the Liverpool Nautical College to engage in the three-month hard slog of improving on what I had already taught myself. I passed all the papers and the orals first time and at the age of 20 found myself in possession of a 2nd Mate’s foreign going certificate.
    Now to find a job!!

My most memorable experience in Singapore was a visit to a dance hall called ‘The Happy World’ where there were several girls who were termed Taxi Dancers. The procedure was to buy tickets and present one to a girl you wanted to dance with. I saw one who was a Chinese/Malay, young, beautiful, lithesome and beautifully dressed in that wonderous dress called a Cheongsam, I bought five tickets and five dances later had given them all to her. I wonder if any of our modern youths have known the pleasure of dancing a waltz with such a beautiful creature dressed in a silken sheath.
    As the evening was ending, she said to me “you like visit my house”. What could I do but accept the invitation?
    The following morning as I was about to leave, she wistfully remarked “One day you be captain big ship. Me still be dancing girl”.
    I wonder.

2. Total Comments 4

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Trooping

September 1954, sailed to Australia laden with £10 poms
    Left Sydney empty ship to Japan couple of days there then
    to Pusan (Korea) embarked A.N.Z.C.s to Brisbane to a wonderful
    reception, empty once more to Hong Kong British troops, to Singapore
    for more then home , Christmas day going through the Suez canal
    finally arriving Southampton Dec 31 we all got ashore and had a wonderful
    time, but the poof old squadies were confined to the ship (New Australia).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=John T Morgan;327809]Trooping

My most memorable experience in Singapore was a visit to a dance hall called ‘The Happy World’ where there were several girls who were termed Taxi Dancers. The procedure was to buy tickets and present one to a girl you wanted to dance with. I saw one who was a Chinese/Malay, young, beautiful, lithesome and beautifully dressed in that wonderous dress called a Cheongsam, I bought five tickets and five dances later had given them all to her. I wonder if any of our modern youths have known the pleasure of dancing a waltz with such a beautiful creature dressed in a silken sheath.
    As the evening was ending, she said to me “you like visit my house”. What could I do but accept the invitation?
    The following morning as I was about to leave, she wistfully remarked “One day you be captain big ship. Me still be dancing girl”.
    I wonder.[/QUOTE

A grand morsel of memoir, John. I also did time on a Trooper. Two trips east on HMT Dunera in 1956 as Sparks (Japan etc) . Also, like you, I taxi danced in the 'Happy World'. Sad to report the lovely damsel did not invite me home.
    In 2000 I visited that place. The operas and such are no more. It is now a place of light industry and workshops. But the ornate entrance still stands.
    Harry Nicholson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Harry Nicholson;327971]
    Quote Originally Posted by John T Morgan View Post
    Trooping

I wonder.[/QUOTE

A grand morsel of memoir, John. I also did time on a Trooper. Two trips east on HMT Dunera in 1956 as Sparks (Japan etc) . Also, like you, I taxi danced in the 'Happy World'. Sad to report the lovely damsel did not invite me home.
    In 2000 I visited that place. The operas and such are no more. It is now a place of light industry and workshops. But the ornate entrance still stands.

Harry mate, you were lucky.
    Know a few who went back with some beautiful ladies, Thailand comes to mind, to find all that glitters is not gold.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 25th February 2019 at 06:25 PM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Terry Sullivan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for reminding me of The Happy World, it wasn't just a dance hall but had all sorts of temptations.
    Terry Sullivan R340406

8. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post