Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lent:Garrick and lent Hoshelaga II

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Lent:Garrick and lent Hoshelaga II

Many thanks for the explanation it all goes to making sense of the information. Will get more of the entry with Garrick included. I do appreciate all this. A story that puzzled me is that dad told the account of a convoy he was on in very rough seas and was hit badly so much so it was every man for himself. Dad had life jacket but his mate who couldn’t swim didn’t, so dad parted with his to his mate and in the water. It wasn’t long before the ship was lost. I think as many did, dad prayed. An upturned life boat came by and dad clung on. Prayer answered. Dad was picked up some 36 hours later. The account goes that the chap that pulled him out the water said ‘we will have to stop meeting like this Alf’ It was a chap from Leyland close to where dad lived. Trouble is can’t find any other accounts of dads boats being hit. I know dad was in a bad way mentally when he returned home, from other relatives. The family was very worried about him for quite some time. His dad my grandad John Henry Langton spent many hours just being with him, listening to him and chatting to him. Of course John Henry new what dad was going through, as he was in the WW1 as a stretcher bearer in France and Belgium.
    Dad true to his word to our Lord in his hour of need and reflecting on church services from the past again renewed his faith in God and in the birth, death and resurrection of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. He met my mum, got married and here I am age 66. Dad also became a lay preacher in the local area.
    One Sunday evening at church during the service dad sung a solo of a song that meant alot to him whilst Glenys his dear wife played the organ. On finishing the song dad turned fell over backwards and had a massive heart attack and died at the front of church.
    I don’t know why I Am telling you all this but I pray you can see why finding out about dad and things I didn’t know as it wasn’t something that war people did. Only people that suffered something similar understand the torment and torture wether physical or mental. Many thanks for your help in this matter. Keep up the good work and I will send images of the transcripts shortly.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

- - - Updated - - -

unsure if it has worked this time. Let me know. If it has worked, there may be other things on there that you can explain please.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 28th February 2023 at 07:05 PM.

6. Thanks happy daze john in oz, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John,
    It is difficult to imagine the horror of being torpedoed at sea - your father and mine were lucky to survive their ordeals. I think any son would understand how you feel about your father and of course you want to find out as much as you can.

GARRICK in 1940, I think, is a typo which is easily done when someone else is transcribing a service record - humans make mistakes. So, we start of by looking for him being lent to HMS GARRICK but, problem is, there wasn't one.
    I believe you are looking for the DEMS Training Centre, Greenock which was HMS Carrick, James Watt Dock.

HMS NADEN was the accounting base at Esquimalt in Canada - HMCS NADEN (RCN Barrack, Esquimalt) - For Posterity's Sake I have seen it shown as HMS but infact it would be HMCS

Regards
    Hugh
    Last edited by Hugh; 28th February 2023 at 07:43 PM.
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

8. Thanks Doc Vernon, happy daze john in oz, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Keith Tindell, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just of possible Interest !
    Cheers

HMS Carrick Training Ship and other.JPG

Composite ship Carrick on the slipway at Irvine, Scotland May 1997. Built 1864 as City of Adelaide for the immigrant & cargo trade to Australia. After 1887, the ship carried coal around the British coast, and timber across the Atlantic. In 1893, she became a floating hospital in Southampton, and in 1923 was purchased by the Royal Navy & commissioned into the Royal Navy as HMS Carrick, training ship. In 1948, she was decommissioned and donated to the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve Club as the club's headquarters and remained on the River Clyde until in 1991 when she sank at her mooring. Carrick was recovered by the Scottish Maritime Museum the following year, and moved to a private slipway adjacent to the museum's site in Irvine. In 2010, the Scottish Government approved her removal to Adelaide, South Australia for preservation as a museum ship. In September 2013, the ship was moved by barge from Scotland to the Netherlands to prepare for transport to Australia. In late November 2013, loaded on the deck of a cargo ship, City of Adelaide departed Europe bound for Port Adelaide, where she arrived February 2014. She is now at. Dock 2, Honey St, Port Adelaide with restoration ongoing.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

10. Thanks happy daze john in oz, john langton thanked for this post
    Likes Hugh, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

many thanks again for yet more info to put into my file. I have numbered each row on the transcript and when I find anything out I print it giving it the number of the relevant row and filing in order.
    of interest on the national archives for free download are the captains log of journeys where and dates.
    SS Baron Maclay, SS Yewpark also known as Avonwood, SS Olev, SS British Progress, SS Jamaica Planter, SS Waroonga also known as HOrorata, and SS Anthony Enright,

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John L
    I had sent you a PM yesterday but no reply as yet?
    Can you please tell us the following!

Hello John
    What Year was your Father Born please and where?? If his Records Still Exist i will look and see if i can get his Discharge Number
    Cheers
    Doc Vernon

R697530

14. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    What Year was your Father Born please and where?? If his Records Still Exist i will look and see if i can get his Discharge Number
    Cheers
    Doc Vernon
    Vernon, John already has his father's service records - he was a Royal Navy D.E.M.S. gunner so he won't have any MN records or a Dis.A number.
    https://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/...hlight=LANGTON

John Langton said
    free download are the captains log of journeys where and dates.
    SS Baron Maclay, SS Yewpark also known as Avonwood, SS Olev, SS British Progress, SS Jamaica Planter, SS Waroonga also known as HOrorata, and SS Anthony Enright
    These are the Ship Movement Cards you are talking about John, they tell you where the ship sailed and when and to which ports etc.
    Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

16. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK Hugh Thanks
    Just that there was some message about his R Number in my PM Box.
    Cheers

R697530

18. Likes happy daze john in oz, Hugh, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Born 1920 at whittle le woods
    Sorry as I thought I had Replied with the info.
    Still finding my way round this site and how it works and where things are.
    Last edited by john langton; 1st March 2023 at 09:01 AM. Reason: More info

20. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast