Thread: Operation Pedestal 80th Anniversary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Operation Pedestal 80th Anniversary

Just returned from a holiday in Malta of which the main reason for the trip was to attend the 80th anniversary of Operation Pedestal.
    My wives father was Allan Shaw who was on the Ohio.
    The commeration was attended by the President of Malta, the British High Commissioner, Royal Naval representative, American Naval representative and other dignitaries.
    The service was read by Rev. Simon Godfrey and Fr Marius Zerafa, who as a young boy had witnessed the arrival of the Ohio.
    The exhortation was read by Elaine Zerafa R.N. A 21 gun salute was fired before we were invited to board a Maltese patrol boat for the wreath laying in the Grand Harbour.
    A lot of the organisation is done by a Simon Cusens who always active in keeping the memory of the convoy alive. He has been a good friend of the family and always will do anything for us.
    We attended the 75th anniversary and scattered Allan's ashes in the harbour then.
    Regards Michael

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Operation Pedestal 80th Anniversary

Hi Michael. I have just watched a programme on TV tonight of the OHIO coming into Valletta between R.N. warships. I have seen this before so repeated. There were interviews with former crew members but did not catch any names. I have a newspaper cutting of one who sailed on her.
    Bill.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Operation Pedestal 80th Anniversary

In remembrance of Cadet Midshipman Francis A. Dales and 3rd Officer Frederick A. Larsen of the U.S. Merchant Marine who took an active part in the defense of the S/S OHIO. Both men were survivors of the S/S SANTA ELISA which had been attacked and sunk by enemy torpedo boats. Both men were picked up by HMS PENN and later when HMS PENN was alongside the OHIO they went aboard the OHIO to repair an anti aircraft gun which they did and took part in the defense of the OHIO. Both men were awarded the U.S. Distinguished Service Medal for their heroic actions. Among many past friends who served at sea during the war (39-45) they have both passed away but always remembered.