Thread: Christmas Past

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Christmas Past

At this time of year I often think of the past and where I was at Christmas.

Suez;

We arrived at the canal early hours of December 24. The Skipper told us we would be entering the canal with the convoy on Christmas day and so we would be having our Christmas a day early. The cases of beer and bottles were opened and everyone dived in headfirst. The party was in full swing when suddenly the orders changed, heave up the anchor and proceed through. Trying to find a sober wheelman was impossible, each man taking the wheel was drunker than the last. The Pilot had his prayer mat out on the wing of the bridge.

Auckland;

I had jumped ship and was staying with a Maori family. On Christmas Eve morning the eldest son dug a big pit in the back garden and lit a fire with paper and wood, when the fire was ablaze he placed rocks in the fire. After a couple of hours the rocks were glowing hot Margaret, his mother, came out with joints of meat and vegetables wrapped in sheets and put them on a metal rack over the rocks, the son then buried them in the pit.
    At midnight the food was dug up cooked to perfection, we had a great night with plenty of beer, ukulele music and singing.

Shanghai;

Absolutely freezing, deep snow, the hatch tarps frozen solid. Water lines to the steam winches frozen. Red guards on the gangway, music and speeches probably praising Chairman Mao blaring out on speakers 24 hours a day. Seamen had the ability to make the best out of any situation, we had a good day but not one I would not like to do again.

These are the Christmas's that stay in the memory there must be many more lost in time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Christmas Past

The most memorable Christmas I ever spent at sea was as 2nd mate and we were in Santos discharging. For some unknown reason, after Christmas dinner we decided that the evening celebrating should be done in fancy dress, as you do when drunk. So we had a couple of Hitler's, red Indians, cowboys and one of us, me, dressed as a trapper adorned with a set of moose antlers. Where they came to be on the ship is another story in itself. We also had a couple of wife's on board and they also entered into the event dressing up as a squaw and a princess.
    Anyway as the evening wore on and drunkenness took over, it was decided that we should spread Christmas cheer to other ships in port. Next astern of us was a lovely Swedish Johnson line cargo ship so that was where we were going to spread our good cheer. Now the Swede's are renowned for fighting even amongst themselves when drunk. So we all traipsed into their lounge just as they were set to do battle with each other.
    The sight of these mad English dressed in weird fancy dress put an immediate halt to their battle. The rest of Christmas day passed in a drunken haze but I vaguely remember trying to sing " silent night" in both Swedish and English, badly.
    Boxing day was spent recovering from the mother of all hangovers.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Christmas Past

Christmas day in Durban.
    o
    The plan was for all crew to eat Christmas dinner in the tourist salon to be served by the officers.

Fantastic idea said many of the lads on deck as well as catering.
    But a small disruption caused all manner of problems.

The officers in officers quarters on the boat deck decided that as we were in port and no work they would have a small morning drink together.
    Morning became afternoon, which became a disaster as by the time they were to turn to to serve moist could hardly stand.
    Ginger my mate the other officers steward like me suffering from some form of leg disorder.

Dinner was served by the skipper, Chuckles Charnley the chief officer, Radio officer, head chef Bill, first class barman Tony, Chief engineer and a few others who could be bushwacked into the job.

The officers were treated to a serve next morning by chief engineer and Chuckles.
    Most were too hung over to take much notice while Ginger and I had the wonderful job of cleaning it all up.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller