Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

My Dad, WW2 ship Empire Cameron ocean seaman

11 Comments by ANDREW GORDON Published on 10th October 2014 10:20 AM
    Hi all,
    I have been trying to do some research on my dad, Alan Gordon and his movements during ww2, and from the information that I have, from things written down and some original paperwork, unfortunately my dad pass away some 10 years now, and never really spoke much about the war, bits here and there, but never the full story, from what information I have, dad, started his sea life on the Mercury training ship, on the Hamble river near Southampton, and then joined the Merchant Navy May 1942 at 15 years old, as a Cadet, the first ship was the Empire Cameron, from information I have written down by my dad, he did Russian and Iceland convoys, then was transferred to the ship ocean Seaman, which was Torpedoed by U380, March 1943, off Algiers, all crew saved, another incident he was involved with earlier in the war, 11 DEC 1942, was an attack on Algiers by Italian 2 man torpedo"s, the last ship that dad was on was Empire Canyon, and then dad left the Merchant Navy april 1943, and then joined the Royal navy, until 1947, had a brief spell back in the Merchant navy in 1947/8, on the Anthony Enwright Coastal ship..then finish with the Merchant navy...from all the information that I have, and info that I have found on the internet etc, says the ship that I have mentioned apart from ocean seaman, was not on convoys mentioned etc, I can only guess, that perhaps he was transferred to other ships also, that dad has not mentioned, I would love to find out more information on ships and crew, if there is a way of finding out, I did get some copies of records from the national archives, but they tell very little, and only one ship mentioned, the Empire Cameron..
    Last edited by ANDREW GORDON; 10th October 2014 at 10:48 AM.

2. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
  3. Total Comments 11

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My Dad, WW2 ship Empire Cameron ocean seaman

Hello Andrew and welcome,

Can you tell me what records you have from the National Archives? Can you give your dad's full name, date and place of birth?

Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

5. Likes N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi ,my dads full name is, ALAN VERNON GORDON , DOB 29 NOVEMBER 1926, place of birth, NEW MALDEN
    the records I have from national archives, are copies of British seaman's identity card, which dates January 1948, a discharge certificate dated 15th January 1943, and what looks like an envelope with summery of service on one side and BT372/0522 on other side, name and number etc, no ship names on it, just a stamp mark says ineffective, looks like, basically 3 documents copies both sides..ohh and dischage no, R270617

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You have his Seaman's Pouch from BT 372, that is what I expected you would have.
    You really need his CRS 10 (service record) which should list details of all of his ships; however, if his service was not continious then it is difficult to say how much detail will be there and indeed if the file has survived.
    The CRS 10 Docket Book should be held in BT 382/665. Best to visit Kew to obtain this file as it is in a block of up to 60 other names therefore Kew would charge you research fees to get it for you online.

His medal file is here: BT 395/1/36465. This file can be downloaded to your computer for £3.30.
    Any questions - just ask.

Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Hugh,
    Thank you so much for your help, I will try and get these copies, to see if this helps with my research, I also just wondered, as you go to order copies from Kew, the boxes that come up, and as the files as you say hold up to 60 names, do I need to put my dads name and detail"s etc in boxes to get copies I require?
    Regards..
    Andrew Gordon

11. Likes N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am afraid it is not as simple as that Andrew. It should be but it's not. You would need to go to their research service and input the file reference I gave you but also give his name, date of birth Discharge number etc.
    Because the file is not to a named individual i.e. it is a block of records, they will ask you for silly money to pick the file and send it on to you. If you are not in a position to visit Kew then it would cost you in the region of £50 quid to get the file from a researcher. I know someone who will copy it for about £5 though so if that interests you send me a private message and I will give you his contact details.

This affects the CRS 10 but not the medal file that is simple enough to download.
    Regards
    Hugh
    Last edited by Hugh; 10th October 2014 at 01:09 PM.
    "If Blood was the price
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi,
    message sent, I have received the medal file, I know my dad had 1939/45 star, war medal, Africa star, Atlantic star, Pacific star,
    should the file show this, as there is no markings cross or circle, just a little R in 1939 box,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes it should. There should be a cross to indicate the medal was issued and if only he ribbon was issued it should be a circle. A cross and a circle indicates both medal and ribbon were issued. An R can indicate that the medal was reviewed and refused. (* that's got to be a mistake in his case).

Regards
    Hugh
    Last edited by Hugh; 10th October 2014 at 02:12 PM.
    "If Blood was the price
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

16. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ohh, I do seem to remember, that while he was in the RN, was told to get his ribbons etc, I have a letter of application for 1939/43 star from 1944, other than that, dont really know any more, or when he actually got his ribbons and medals, certainly before I was born, most probably while he was in the RN.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That makes perfect sense Andrew. There may or may not have been a notation, DNA, on the file (Director of Naval Accounts) the RN medal issuing authority.
    Regards
    Hugh
    Last edited by Hugh; 10th October 2014 at 02:40 PM.
    "If Blood was the price
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Articles

1. Seaman Ship
    By Lou Barron in forum A Tribute Forum for the late Lou Barron
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 24th April 2012, 04:25 PM