Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Article: Our Member: Charles Louis Barron (Lou)

Tony Morcom Guest

Our Member: Charles Louis Barron (Lou)

28 Comments by Tony Morcom Published on 19th February 2013 06:35 PM
    I have recently received some articles Lou wrote for the local paper in Dunedin in New Zealand. Unfortunately they came on odd sized paper but I have done my best to reproduce them here.
    Attachment 12026Attachment 12027

2. Likes Red Lead Ted liked this post
  3. Total Comments 28

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Vernon.
    Thanks for posting that web site, a great article by Lou in the Dunedin press, I hope that many people in NZ read it, what with ANZAC day coming up, they will learn that men like Lou didn't have to wear a uniform to be hero's. I wont call Lou an old timer as it is obvious that he is able to present the story as if it were yesterday, good on him, thanks Vernon and thanks to Lou.
    Cheers Des
    BritishMN1.jpg

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Charles Louis Barron(Lou)

First of all i would like to thank you for the compliments you said after reading my stories but i consider my self lucky that i can do this there were a lot and i mean a lot of brave Merchant Seamen who died in the war and even those that survived the war ending up in very poor health As i have said before how the MN got treated after the war and even to this day .Thank You

7. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Gordon Robbins, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Thanks:

"Let those who come after see to it that all be not forgotten".

K.

9. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Stan,

Quote Originally Posted by stan carter View Post
    this is a classic reason why we should maintain and insist that history be taught to our misguide youth and politicians who don't care and are hell bent on destroying this once great country. They should dwell on the old saying, if yuou can read, thank a teacher, if you can read this in english, thank a vet. Lou we do thank and salute you. You led the way for us younger ones who decided to go to sea, enjoying every moment and the experience.
    regards, stan
    I couldn't agree more with your post, Watching this evenings news David Cameron has quite rightly gave the Irish people a full apology for the bloody Sunday affair he was 3yrs old at the time of bloody Sunday, I was actually sailing in and out of Belfast at the time on a small Bulk Carrier. Today i think he done nothing at all for drumming up trade between the UK. and India voicing his regret at the golden temple regarding the most shamefull act in British colonial history, The Jallianwala bagh massacre. He should have given them an unreserved apology for the dreadfull event let alone a wreath. These politician's today are far to young and uneducated to run a country like the UK. Its not the first time he has been left with egg on his face. I will be glad to see the back of the lot of his Tory party and if Labour is to be the only other option lets hope they get themselves a more mature and educated leader than Wallace and gromit. Someone that looks like he knows what he is talking about. Bewildered Regards Stan Terry.
    {terry scouse}

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Loui,s

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Louis Barron View Post
    First of all i would like to thank you for the compliments you said after reading my stories but i consider my self lucky that i can do this there were a lot and i mean a lot of brave Merchant Seamen who died in the war and even those that survived the war ending up in very poor health As i have said before how the MN got treated after the war and even to this day .Thank You
    You are a gem mate and a credit to yourself and our former Merchant Fleet. Even in your own hour of grief you can find the time to take into consideration the plight of current Merchant seaman serving in all the worlds fleets. For that my friend i salute you Regards Lou, Terry.
    {terry scouse}

13. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default My sentiments too Terry!

My sentiments too Terry!
    Hope you are well there mate!
    Take care
    Doc!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Masefield:

For All Seafarers:

Unrecognised, you put us in your debt;
    Unthanked, you enter, or escape, the grave;
    Whether your land remember or forget
    You saved the land, or died to try to save.

by John Masefield

16. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    leratty Guest

You have to say young Louis is a fine looking fella for his experiences & time on this delightful planet of ours. Great read Louis, as always you have my heartfelt appreciation & respect for your contribution to this site. Richard

18. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Louis,
    That's a very sad story. I once worked with a couple of ex soldiers that were taken prisoners by the Jap's in the last war, poor guys were always going sick with some feaver, or other. Louis, hope I get to meet you in Liverpool, come the May Bank Holiday.
    George
    in Southampton

20. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Our Member; Charles Louis Barron (Lou)

Hi George,I hope to get to the Albert Dock tomorrow to sort out a venue and a time.It's awkward making a deciision on a day and a time without having a programme of what is going on,a time could be decided when something of some importance is going on.Some people may only be here for the Saturday and Sunday so the meet up would have to be on Saturday.I have one o'clock on Saturday as an ideal time if anyone who is going has any other ideas lets hear it.All info will be on the Liverpool meet up thread.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

22. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Articles

1. Charles Louis Barron(called Lou)
    By Lou Barron in forum A Tribute Forum for the late Lou Barron
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30th August 2010, 01:17 AM