1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

Empire Endurance

12 Comments by Brian Probetts (Site Admin) Published on 1st August 2012 12:10 PM
    Just a short story, I had a uncle not much older than I, sailed in a shipcalled the "Empire Endurance", She had left Liverpool approx April1941, heading for the States, she was torpedoed and sunk, George Gibbons washis name, he was on deck, he had an old school mate aboard, working as aTrimmer, his name was Owen McCartney, Owen never had a chance being below deck,I had heard George felt so bad he was shouting for Owen, He had to be draggedinto the Skippers boat, He lasted for 16 days, but being delirious, he dranksea water, he died on the 16th day, which was his 21st birthday, my grandmotheralong with thousands of other mothers received a 6inx4inch certificate from theKing, being sunk his wages ceased right a way, People today, should know whathappened to seamen when their ship sank. A line was drawn across the pay-offbook, which meant the ship was no more.
    Just a great coincident to this story, many years later, My son-in- lawsfather, happened to be the Boson of the "Empire Endurance" during thetime George was sailing in her, His name was John Connolly, I never found outabout him being on that ship, till after he died, my son-in-law shown me his pay-offbook, and yes, it had the line drawn across the book, to denote the sinking ofthe ship. what a bloody way to treat men.
    yours sincerely Jack Stamper

Brian Probetts (site admin)
    R760142

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins, Captain Kong, cappy, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Peter Copley liked this post
  3. Total Comments 12

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Empire Endurance

Thank you Brian for your interest.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you gray_marion. She never complained and remained quite Victorian.

6. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you Des. We were all proud of her and after losing her father from the disaster, she went on to look after her mother who never really got over the loss of her husband.

8. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2