Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Article: John Alwyne Burgess

Tony Morcom Guest

John Alwyne Burgess

13 Comments by Tony Morcom Published on 17th March 2012 09:45 PM
    In 2010 I decided to investigate my late uncle's wartime career in the Merchant Navy. Until that time, to be honest, I had not given it much thought. However his widow had recently had a clear out of her loft and had sent me his discharge book and a couple of other bits and pieces. Those items led me into the world of these nostalgia sites whilst attempting some research. Luckily for me, both Ray Buck and Hugh answered my probing questions on another site and this steered me in the right direction. With their help, which I have seen replicated many times on this site, I was able to pin down and establish virtually all of my late uncle's career, the ships he was on, where he went and how his career progressed from apprentice to 2nd mate when he was discharged from national service.

His widow was delighted with my findings which I put together in a booklet form for her. She had not even met him until after the war and her knowledge of his career was sketchy to say the least. As many of us know that generation were reluctant to talk about their wartime experiences. I have now uploaded it to a web site. She has also discovered some old photos which I will be adding at a later date. Whilst this is primarily only of family interest I thought that it would be useful for members and prospective members to see what can be achieved with the help of the researchers on this site. Without their interest and involvement I may never have continued with my own research into his past and almost certainly would not have joined the many sites available to us.

For those interested in the career of an Ellerman and Bucknell Steamship Company Deck Officer the site is
    HERE
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 19th August 2018 at 10:18 PM.

2. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
  3. Total Comments 13

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tony,

Excellent effort and I am pleased that you put all the information online in the form of a website. I did the same after researching my late father's service and I thought it was a good idea to put that information out there for others to see and remember what these seamen had to endure to keep the lifeline open.

Looking through your site, I note you only display the War Medal. Looking at his service I would say he should have been awarded more than that. I presume you downloaded his medal card from BT 395/1. The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Image Details

Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

5. Likes j.sabourn, Lou Barron, Charlie Hannah liked this post
    Tony Morcom Guest

Thanks for your comments Hugh. I have just downloaded his medal listing but to be honest I have no idea what it all means as there is no key. Please can you translate it for me?

7. Likes Lou Barron, Charlie Hannah liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Tony,

1939 - 1945 Star
    Atlantic Star and Clasp
    Pacific Star
    Italy Star

Strangely the War Medal is not circled or crossed but that must be a mistake as he is clearly entitled.

Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

9. Likes Lou Barron, Charlie Hannah liked this post
    Tony Morcom Guest

Thanks very much Hugh

I will now be able to amend the website with this updated information.

Regards

Cebu, Philippines district of Punta Princessa.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default john alwyn burgess

Nice to see some more information has shown up, we certainly have some great people in our membership who go all out to help, without them i would never have found my fathers WW2 and post war records, even though i went to Kew myself, was told no record existed, i think it depends on who helps you , one post on here and i was given all the info i needed to find them this time i paid for the service, maybe thats why i got them, ? managed to find photos of all his ships, all in an album now with history, congratulations.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 19th August 2018 at 10:17 PM.

12. Likes j.sabourn, Charlie Hannah liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up The Web Site! 4 Tony Morcom

Hi Tony
    A great effort and as said well presented on the Web!
    Its so nice to see things like this appearing on the Web,as it shows that there are still those out there who really care about the past,especially the Services of those Men that gave so much for our benifit!
    Cheers mate and may it grow to greater things!
    All the best!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

14. Likes j.sabourn, Charlie Hannah liked this post
    Tony Morcom Guest

Default Thanks

Thanks for the comments guys. I have now updated the website thanks to the extra input courtesy of Hugh.

Hugh: How do I go about trying to obtain the medals for his widow. They would make an excellent birthday present for her.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Medals

Just info Tony
    You may allready know all this!
    Cheers

Who is entitled to receive medals?

Service veterans are entitled to receive medals in recognition of their Service, if they meet the qualifying criteria. If the Service person is deceased, the immediate next of kin is entitled to receive any medals. In the first instance, the immediate next of kin will be the spouse. If also deceased, it will be the eldest child. If there was no marriage or no children, it could be a sibling or other relation. If a different family member wishes to receive the medals, written and signed permission must be given by the immediate next of kin

How do I get medals previously unclaimed?

You may claim any medals which may be due to you by writing to the MoD Medal Office giving your Service number, full name, date of birth, branch of service (if Army please add regiment or corps) approximate dates of Service and full current address. The Medal Office will acknowledge your application in writing. A full assessment of your entitlement to any medals will then take place using your original record of Service. Send your request to:
    Service Personnel and Veterans Agency (SPVA)
    (Joint Personnel Administration Centre)
    Ministry of Defence Medal Office
    G36, Innsworth House
    Imjin Barracks
    Gloucester GL3 1HW

Veterans also need to supply proof of current address (eg a utility bill). Widows, widowers and legal next of kin (if both the ex-Service person and their spouse are deceased) who wish to claim medals or to check what medals were issued to their deceased spouse/relative will be asked to provide proof of death and confirmation that they are next of kin. All others enquirers must be able to provide a letter of consent from either the person the record belongs to or, if that person is deceased, from their next of kin.

MY Apologies for giving the incorrect information here Tony,thanks to Hugh for pointing this oiut!
    Cheers
    Doc Vernon
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 18th March 2012 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Mistake in post
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Tony Morcom Guest

Thanks Vernon. You have saved me some late night research and to be honest my brain is a little frazzled now. The info you give is much as I suspected which unfortunately means I will not be able to retrieve the medals as a surprise for her. However its the thought that counts and if she orders them I will make a nice velvet lined display case for them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast