Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Article: The Unknown Soldier (Why we wear the Poppy)

1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

The Unknown Soldier (Why we wear the Poppy)

33 Comments by Doc Vernon Published on 26th October 2018 06:34 AM
    Attachment 27852

On November 7th, 1920, in strictest secrecy, four unidentified British bodies were exhumed from temporary battlefield cemeteries at Ypres, Arras, the Asine and the Somme.
    None of the soldiers who did the digging were told why.
    The bodies were taken by field ambulance to GHQ at St-Pol-Sur-Ter Noise. Once there, the bodies were draped with the union flag. Sentries were posted and Brigadier-General Wyatt and a Colonel Gell selected one body at random. The other three were reburied. A French Honour Guard was selected and stood by the coffin overnight of the chosen soldier overnight. On the morning of the 8th November, a specially designed coffin made of oak from the grounds of Hampton Court arrived and the Unknown Warrior was placed inside. On top was placed a crusaders sword and a shield on which was inscribed:

"A British Warrior who fell in the GREAT WAR 1914-1918 for King and Country". On the 9th of November, the Unknown Warrior was taken by horse-drawn carriage through Guards of Honour and the sound of tolling bells and bugle calls to the quayside. There, he was saluted by Marechal Foche and loaded onto HMS Vernon bound for Dover. The coffin stood on the deck covered in wreaths, surrounded by the French Honour Guard. Upon arrival at Dover, the Unknown Warrior was met with a nineteen gun salute - something that was normally only reserved for Field Marshals. A special train had been arranged and he was then conveyed to Victoria Station, London. He remained there overnight, and, on the morning of the 11th of November, he was finally taken to Westminster Abbey. The idea of the unknown warrior was thought of by a Padre called David Railton who had served on the front line during the Great War the union flag he had used as an altar cloth whilst at the front, was the one that had been draped over the coffin.It was his intention that all of the relatives of the 517,773 combatants whose bodies had not been identified could believe that the Unknown Warrior could very well be their lost husband, father, brother or son... THIS is the reason we wear poppies. We do not glorify war. We remember - with humility - the great and the ultimate sacrifices that were made, not just in this war, but in every war and conflict where our service personnel have fought - to ensure the liberty and freedoms that we now take for granted. Every year, on the 11th of November, we remember the Unknown Warrior. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them.Lest We Forget
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 26th October 2018 at 06:38 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

2. Total Comments 33

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The Unknown Soldier (Why we wear the Poppy)

For once I'm with Chris on this one , there has been too many occasions where someone has tried to provoke a stimulating debate with resulting disharmony
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Francisco - this Thread was posted as a tribute to all who died during the two World and other wars. It was NOT posted, as Rob agrees ( thank you Rob ) to stimulate political debate on the whys and wherefores of the motives behind wars. We are not a political site, we are a site for present and Ex Mariners to talk about the sea and their memories, which also includes remembering the deaths of those that died at sea, including women, who are just as important whether they be one or thousands and one. It also includes those that have no grave other than the sea. I reiterated all this in my previous post which obviously passes over your head and you are obviously determined to cause political debate on a thread designed purely for remembrance.

I will repeat my advice to you again - If you wish to debate Wars then I am sure you will find other sites which will gladly cater for your Political Views. This site does not cater for the type of political debate you want, nor do the site rules permit it.

Your post is deleted, as will other posts should you wish to continue posting them and seeking political debate and censorship. By all means share in our remembrance and memories of life at sea, if of course you went to sea, but please refrain from Political issues as I said they form no part of this site. As regards your membership, I shall leave that to the site Administration, you have been warned once, please take this as your second warning.
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 7th November 2018 at 12:12 PM.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

##we did have a guy from hong kong who wrote in a similar vein ....ex blue flu or something......cappy

6. Thanks Chris Allman, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

45258618_1943012772443236_1009158937640960000_n.jpg

a friend in the South West sent this today , they are NOT Britsh Legion , makes me suspicious
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

8. Thanks Chris Allman, Captain Kong thanked for this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4