Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Women crew members and wives at sea.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Women crew members and wives at sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith at Tregenna View Post
    Women also played important roles during World War II and more, both at home and in uniform. Not only did they give their sons, husbands, fathers, and brothers to the war effort, they gave their time, energy, and some even gave their lives.

K.
    I think we are all aware of the important role played by women in war and their sacrifices.

We are talking about 'Women at sea' not women in any other profession. Women at sea whether intentionally or not could cause complete disharmony to an otherwise previously happy ship and they did not disappear and go home at 5pm, you were stuck with her for months and let's face it unless you've actually experienced it, you will not have a clue what we are talking about. A small steel island 4/500' x 35/40' with 60+ men on board is not an ideal scenario for harmony at times, never mind throwing a hand grenade into the mix.

2. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, cappy, john walker liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

I have over the years sailed with several females. Like in all ships crews you occasionally get one who is a complete waste of oxygen. Thankfully nearly all the females I have sailed with have been good at there jobs and also good fun. I will add though I never sailed with one who did not end up with shall we say had a BOT marriage for the duration of the trip. I have three very good friends who took it beyond a BOT marriage and have been happily married for years now with families. I was on one ship though that I took over from a female 3rd Eng. It was plainly obvious though that her talents lay elsewhere. I was flown out as extra 3/Eng to help this poor maiden in distress. As soon as I joined the 2nd /eng told her to keep out of the engine room. She was a close companion of the C/Eng & the Oldman absolutely no shame. The mood on the ship was toxic. The merde hit the fan as she stepped over the mark when she gave the C/off a mouthful in the saloon at dinner one night. The mate told the oldman she had to go or he would let the company know. When we arrived in Euro port the Master , C/Eng and madam were relieved. The Mate and the 2nd eng had contacted the company as the oldman had refused to do so.

4. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The ship with no name ... as is one of three I can’t remember and have no records of, but joined in Avonmouth and was sent to seperate a duo , the mate and second mate who was a female. The first thing she said to me was,... I can do anything a man can do but when taken stores I can’t lift certain items, the second thing was give me a job, so I put her over the plimsolls in a chair and told her to cut them in with paint, I forgot she was over the side , and she had been screaming for a few hours to be pulled up, a seaman would have shinned up the rope. The third thing she said was that if I or anyone called her for her middle watch was to never enter the room but shout from the door and leave the light on. She resigned after a meddy trip and finished up as a personel manager forMarks and Spencer’s. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The role of the female has greatly changed over the past 50 years.
    My mother, like so many in her day stayed at home to mind the kids.
    Now the kids ae born and a few years later the couple get married, relying on child care now or grand parents to look after them.
    It is not always the career that is the reason for both to work, rather the cost of housing.
    But not just that, they want it all at the start, unlike us who had to work for it and get it when we could.
    Little wonder there is so many that fall on the scrap heap with all the worry of cost.
    The cheapest house and land package now starts at about $500,000.
    That is a lot of money no matter how you look at it.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Keith Tindell, Ivan Cloherty, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sailed with many wives on the VLCCs,
    Most were nice happy ladies. and made the ship more like home.
    BUT some would have been better off in the Skandi Bar in Valparaiso.
    One engineers wife, they had the next cabin to me,
    she could have been attractive but had green teeth and always drunk. She worked her way down the Firemens Alleyway, they all had a go at her. and on Christmas Day they had a Party in the Officers Saloon, all hands were invited, I was on Watch , 8 to 12, so missed it , I came down at 20 minutes past midnight, and it was chaotic. A Fireman was having a knee trembler with her against the bulkhead, both her legs around his waist.
    I got a beer out of the fridge, and sat next to the Engineer.
    I said , "Hey, thats your wife there"
    He says, "I know but what can I do, she is always like that."
    He was pathetic,.
    I took my beer to my cabin I was in better company by myself.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 1st January 2021 at 03:20 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post #65, just to make it clear I am talking about cargo ships where women on board was not the norm. Naturally passenger ships would have female crew members and be in their numbers and also have their own facilities. On cargo ships I always found their presence disruptive, especially if you got a shrew 'Mrs Captain'

10. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

One UASC ship I was on we had a Captain who's wife thought she ruled the roost. Funniest thing I have ever seen was the 3rd mate dandering into the bar during the 8-12 sits at the bar and orders a coke. The old man was in his usual state , well hammered , he goes apoplectic wtf!!! are you doing? who is on the bridge ffs!! I have asked your wife to get her head out of the radar twice. I will not ask her again, she told me the 8-12 is the Captains watch so you had better get your **** up there sharpish. She was very subdued at breakfast the next morning

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lewis, I had a similar experience when I was 3/m (relieving) on one of Ropners Liners (true, 12 passengers) she was a 16/17 knotter, and I was navigating up the North Sea (which I knew well) and could not get to the radar because of Mrs Captain, I went down and knocked at the old mans door and told him his wife had taken over the watch. He was up that ladder quicker than a ferret and she never came on the bridge again during my watches. I thought that would be the end of my career with that company, but the old man requested the company to send me to his next vessel which they did. I posted this about two years ago

Forgot to add that belting up the North Sea in the 50's at 16/17 knots was quite different to crawling up it at the 8/10 knots on the other vessels, you couldn't ignore the speed of currents or set, but they were not such a worry as they are on a crawler, having to adjust your course by 1 degree was quite different to having to steer one or two points off course to maintain your course line on the crawlers
    Last edited by Ivan Cloherty; 1st January 2021 at 11:17 PM. Reason: old age again

13. Likes N/A, cappy, Tony Taylor, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not too many female son the liners back then, though UCL did go with female wingers on a couple of ships.
    The kids controller was usually female, hair salon, pursers department, nurse and that was about it.
    But on the Windsor there was a female telephone operator, though being the ships bike we never knew how she found time to look after it.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

15. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    But on the Windsor there was a female telephone operator, though being the ships bike we never knew how she found time to look after it.
    The bike or the telephone?

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast