Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Women crew members and wives at sea.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Women crew members and wives at sea.

I can remember meeting up with a couple of mature university students of European vintage in Shanghai in 1977. They were married but were not allowed to live in the same accomodation and to share a bedroom. Think it was when the one child per couple was in force in China. When a law is made in China apparently it covers all without exception .Seamen learned this through the reality’s of life in other countries, and if had any sense obeyed the laws of any country one was in. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 18th July 2021 at 11:59 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is often said travel broadens the mind, when I look at some here I know this is true.
    Students from Uni love to take a year out after graduating to gravel, Europe is very popular and many end up in UK, some stay.
    But those who haver never traveled show kit by their attitude, more so with the virus situation, 'I never go overseas so why should I worry about the Vaccine'

As long as I can remember I haver been travelling somewhere, began in the war when we were moved around from town to town, then leaving home at 16.
    Here in Oz some are still at home at 30, no desire to leave and see the world, sad as far as I am concerned.

Like most of you I have been to places and seen things that opened my eyes to the real world, not the TV or other media coverage but fair dinkum stuff.

The sooner the world gets back to some form of normality and I can resume my travels the better.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Like you, John, I'm a great fan of young people travelling. NZ is so far from the rest of the world that you can get very insular down here and it makes me sad when so many young people stay at home until they marry and settle down. It is their choice but I think they've missed out on so much and become very complacent and unable to understand the way so many people in the world live.

That said, the trouble with raising kids who love to travel is that the boys, in particular, tend to meet the girls they marry and settle down overseas, which means that we grandparents miss out a lot when we can only see our grandkids on rare occasions. We have 3 sons. One lives in Sweden, one in London and one in the Sunshine Coast. Prior to Covid the one in Oz wasn't so bad - we could get a direct flight from Dunedin (where I live) to Brisbane, hire a car and 90 minutes later we'd be at their place. It was a bit harder financially to get over to Europe but even so we'd manage it every couple of years. Covid has changed all of that.

My youngest daughter also travelled a lot but she did come back to NZ to settle down, although she lives in the other island. At least I can still see her fairly frequently since we are Covid free and have no restrictions on travel within the country. Sadly, my oldest daughter has a serious mental illness and has spent most of her life in hospital since her first year at University. She's just been discharged after her latest stint of 15 years in hospital and is living with me. She and I are both really sad that her Dad didn't live to see her as well as she is. I'm hoping that she stays well enough to meet up with the rest of the family when we make the journey back to Scotland with my husband's ashes. He still has siblings and dozens of nieces and nephews down to a great-great nephew and niece, and I'd love her to meet them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Done my Travelling , and enough of it as i see!
    Now i am quite satisfied to relax, stay at Home most of the time and be where i know i am fairly safe!
    Travel these days even when you can, is still somewhat of a Jack in the Box, and one never knows what can happen while you are away in some distant Land.

But yes the Young like us in our days should try and see more of the World i guess, it certainly would open their Eyes a lot more to just sitting and watching the Box and playing silly games! LOL

Yes not like many of you that have travelled around , i have travelled and been in some dodgy places and situations some i would rather forget, but then also been to many great Cities and had some terrific times!

Time now though to settle in a Groove !!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Glennys, i hope all works out well for you and yours.

Vernon, I will attempt to keep travelling as long as i can still breathe, might be a bit tough after that.
    Once we get clearance to fly, hopefully by mid next year, I will be off like prawns in the sun.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Victoria we have two cruises booked, had four cancelled, so if all goes well we will get on at least one.
    Talk that all international borders here will be lifted April next year.
    Big numbers here again but not serious as all were isolating at the time.

No doubt like so many you will be happy to get to see your lad and the rest of the family, but when here maybe do some shopping, have heard there ae only two lock downs till Christmas,
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Victoria, some mixed news there, but he is in very good hands.

No one can understand why Elective surgery was banned.
    Most, about 9+5%, is done in private hospitals, none of which would be of much use for patients with the Virus needing special care.
    Most are like drive in drive out with the surgeon of the day brining his own team in.
    No X ray facilities in most or MRI, most private patients having that done in public hospitals.

But he will be fine, no worries there Victoria, just hang on and with luck we may, and I use the word adviseadly, open the draw bridge next week.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry to hear about the complications with your son's surgery, Victoria. He's in the best place and the best hands, so I'm sure his recovery will be fine once he's over this initial hiccup. It must be very tough on his wife, not being able to visit, and tough on you too. No matter how old they get they remain our children (although I divorced my oldest son when he turned 55 - I refuse to be the mother of a 55 year old!!!).

I know what you mean about passport photos. Mine were bad enough when I was young - I shudder to think what my next one is going to look like. I've reached that age where we have to renew our drivers' licenses, complete with medical certificates and eyesight tests, and I am dreading the thought of what my new license photo will look like.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Glennys, just smile and be your natural self you will look fine no worries there I am sure.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ipI sailed with officer's wives and on one occasion even the two kids of the Ch/Eng and there were never any issues that I was aware of. My wife also did a couple of deep sea trips after we were married and the officers and crew, for the most part, all behaved impeccably. On one occasion the 4th Engineer became a little "addled" on the beer and his behaviour fell somewhat below how an officer is expected to conduct himself but aside from that there were no issues at all.
    After the passenger ships were sold off (SS&A) we did have female stewardesses appearing on the cargo ships but I can't recall there being any problems as such. Of course, the crew accommodation had to be modified to allow for separate showers and toilets but I seem to recall that was a fairly simple job.

15. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast