Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Women crew members and wives at sea.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Women crew members and wives at sea.

Good evening Ivan and thank you for your reply. I appreciate that drifting happens, but I have to say that I am getting more than a little fed up having to create posts to preserve both an interesting Thread and also interesting off shoots. A little more thought on behalf of the poster as to the drifting, would go a long way to preventing this problem and spare any upset that the original poster might feel, ( which I might add I do get complaints about ) that his/her original post had been usurped by someone else's differing subject.

In this case, I do find it hard to equate how a Thread on ' Women crew members and wives at sea ' suddenly metamorphosed into a Thread about Indian Deck Officers and their behaviour !!!

I am only asking that anyone considering another subject should open that subject in a new Thread rather than basically destroy an interesting and informative Thread by introducing a new totally different subject. As I said previously, not an unreasonable request.

I am not a youngster either, being very well into my twilight years but I still try to abide by the rules and keep the site as trouble free and as enjoying as possible, hence my efforts to create new Threads rather than delete what are possibly valuable and interesting comments.

All I am asking for is that members abide by the rules regarding 'Off Topic Posts ' and keep to the subject in question, whilst seeking their assistance in that quest. Not really a ' big stick ' approach I would think, merely a very reasonable request.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#33. Ivan as originator of the post you certainly haven’t upset me, in fact just the opposite. If you also notice on. My post I have mentioned Wife’s which is in the title of the original post .Nit picking was never in. My vocabulary but try my best to look for fleas as always. Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 22nd May 2020 at 03:21 AM.

4. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I certainly dont think there was any Malice or whatever meant in what Chris posted, its just that we as Moderators are trying to keep Subjects and Threads to what they are.
    Yes of course we all stray at times me too,and i can fully understand that. As said when one reads a Thread and replies,at times the mind does wonder back,and many memories are brought forward.
    Its sometimes hard i know,but may we ask that you just read the Title first and then reply.

There will always be wonderings away from the original to this i must agree. As said we are just Human.

So please do not take Umbridge at what is asked ,as its only our Job that we do try and please all.

As this sort of thing has been approached many times in the past, i think that we as Moderators may be able to allow a bit off Topic ,as long as it does not drift too far away from the Thread. Would that be in order Lads!

So lets see how things Pan out , but all we ask is to try! Pretty Please!
    Thanks to one and all.

Added
    We certainly do not wish that asking to do something will have a direct effect on People posting, i am sure that all will understand. The site seems to be doing well now and the posts are rolling in,so Lads lets keep it that way . Thank You
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 22nd May 2020 at 03:47 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

6. Thanks Chris Allman, Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Vernon ,at time we all wander away from the subject.

Just before the lock down I was at the local club having a few cold ones but maybe too many as I wandered off course and ended up in a ditch.
    You just have to be so careful these days.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think wives made a positive impact on all ships that I served on from Deck Cadet to Chief Officer. As a Cadet we had some Great party’s with dancing and singing, with wife’s doing the organising. My wife came with me when I was 2nd Mate flying out to Singapore. The ship had 6 wives and Sue made it up-to 7. Because the ship was going to the Pacific Islands we stayed on another 2 months. Every birthday was celebrated with a party organised by the wives. I was posted to serve in the North Sea and wives were only allowed to visit the ship when we docked in the U.K. but we did 2 months on and 2 off. I did 2 trips then went back deep sea joining my ship in Cape Town and Sue joined me in Rotterdam to save on the Airfare and we both paid off Dubai. I think it is nice to see that girls can train to be a Deck and Engineering Officers. Sue and I have worked hard running a Rickety Old Petrol Station and kiosk developing it into a Moderm self service fuel station and supermarket. All I can say I was lucky to have such a clever and hard working partner and wife. We did have two kids also. May we wish everyone at sea the best of luck and those retired the best of luck. Kind regards Paul and Sue.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Appreciated Paul.

Thanks, Keith.

11. Thanks Paul Kirk thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At one time I was very pleased that in the 18th century the British government decided that the wives of the deceased should be paid the wages of their husbands. I think this is an important step in recognizing the plight of women who wait for their husbands at home.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was once put in a very embarrassing situation when I went on the bridge one morning. The second mate was doing chart corrections and his new wife was with him.
    They were a nice couple. from Yorkshire, and he had done his ticket in Shields.
    When I walked in the chart room he said, "hes a Geordie he will confirm it" "confirm what I said"
    "Is there such a word as winnits"
    "yes" I said.
    "There you go" he said to her, "its true, there is such a word"
    She said, "well what does it mean"
    I said "he can tell you" as I shot out the door.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brother of the gazinta ?
    JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 23rd July 2020 at 12:57 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Brother of the gazinta ?
    JS
    yes, son of Chronicle and Izal

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast