Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Women crew members and wives at sea.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Women crew members and wives at sea.

Good evening
    I have just discovered that my Grandmother was registered as a MN stewardess in the 1920s. Her husband later became Captain and OBE. I have no idea if they served together on the same vessel. Research time ��

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#51...Chris did you have any luck with information from St. James Palace or would they not divulge information. ? It is a condition of acceptance for such Orders as your relative had that all his movements should if possible be notified to them, and also they were notified on a holders death. Basically I should imagine , so that the number of Awards in existance to live recipients should be known to allow for any future ones. Every such Award there are a limited amount available in the Orders of Knighthood which a lot of people dont realize, and is strictly adhered to , the higher up the fewer Awards are allowed. I am asking so as to increase my own knowledge of the system. Thanks. JWS
    R575129

3. Thanks Doc Vernon, Chris Hare thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John
    Good to hear from you Sir. No I didnt get in touch with St James Palace. It is something I will add to my list as it looks like I may be going on furlough soon. Capt William Hare`s father was William James Hare, listed as Mariner in his wedding record and absent Sailor at Capt Williams birth. Do you feel these terms refer to MN, RN or RNVR perhaps? I have not been successful in tracking him down.

5. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Myself think it will refer to his status as a merchant seaman. Think if remember they ask you when registering for a marriage certificate what you do for a living, on mine it says 2nd. mate in the merchant service. This was in 1962 however, Think if he had been RN it would probably have said for vocation , member of HM armed forces. In 1963 if asked the same question would have said 1st mate in the Merchant service. Today if have to fill in any forms requiring past history , just put in retd. Master Mariner or even just Mariner. Please also bear in mind the term captain is a military title only legally, When you call a ships master captain it is a complimentary term, or at least used to be. The proper term for being in command of a merchant ship is Master. Just think of the Genii coming out of the magic lamp and given you 3 wishes. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 8th November 2020 at 11:37 PM.
    R575129

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6