Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Women crew members and wives at sea.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Women crew members and wives at sea.

We had many in Chiswick, some had rooms above a bank across the road.

Did not have any Oz bar staff but, many customers.

K.
    "Our veterans did not forget about us .... Let's not forget about them." From Michael Levesque

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#119 Hi Glennys you are right Anzacs turn up everywhere.
    In Port Elizabeth South Africa I was the only OZ radiographer but low and behold one of the doctors was from NZ so we ended up working together a lot. The other staff ended up calling us "the Anzacs".
    Up in Norway because it was winter the pension lady said "at this time of year you are either an American or an Australian. You have no money so you must be an Australian!"
    I guess being on the other side of the globe once we got over the other side we tended to make a real trip of it because it took a lot of time and money just to get there!
    Mind you going Greyhound through USA in the 60's many of the yanks were very interested in what it was like in OZ because of the Vietnam war going on with us being in it with them.
    They were very friendly and helpful because of that.
    I remember about Earls Court, had friends who went there. I stayed and worked in Southampton instead knew friends who lived in the New Forest. Beautiful part of UK then.
    Last edited by Victoria Moss; 17th July 2021 at 06:37 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#122 Hi Victoria, what a great life you've had so far. By the time my kids were old enough to start travelling things had changed a bit. My #2 son lived in Shepherds Bush which seemed to have taken over from Earls Court as downunder central. We met kiwis and Aussies everywhere. One of the most interesting was an 85 year old woman we met in Beijing. She owned a Backpackers Hostel at the start of one of our big tracks which she kept open for 6 months of the year, then she spent the other 6 months travelling wherever her fancy took her. Most of the time she didn't really have much idea about where she'd go - she would pick a starting destination and set off from there with her Lonely Planet clutched in her hand. Goodness, the tales she told left me speechless. She'd had the little backpack, which is all she travelled with, stolen in Kazakhstan so went for 6 weeks with nothing but the clothes she was wearing, which she used to wash at night so they'd be clean next day. I hope I'm as adventurous when I'm 85 but somehow I doubt it. I've started to like living in comfort!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can remember meeting up with a couple of mature university students of European vintage in Shanghai in 1977. They were married but were not allowed to live in the same accomodation and to share a bedroom. Think it was when the one child per couple was in force in China. When a law is made in China apparently it covers all without exception .Seamen learned this through the reality’s of life in other countries, and if had any sense obeyed the laws of any country one was in. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 18th July 2021 at 11:59 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#123 Sounds like a woman after my own heart. Sadly I too don't have the energy to do that anymore and I think having been back to some places later I would prefer to keep my original memories intact.
    The world is such a different place now and back in the 60's it was all about freedom and lots of people were doing what we all did then.
    Some just went to UK and Europe then home others like me tended to get distracted. I kept moving mainly because I ran out of money (often) or visa time., There were places I would've liked to spend longer but didn't.
    I also spent a lot of time travelling in OZ doing locums after I qualified....marvellous way to gain invaluable experience. Even vet work in country areas, people in the front door animals in the back!!!
    Where I learnt the term "FOU" from a vet in Lismore... means fell off ute !! I always look to see if working dogs are tied into their utes now and most are. LOL
    Last edited by Victoria Moss; 19th July 2021 at 06:05 AM.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is often said travel broadens the mind, when I look at some here I know this is true.
    Students from Uni love to take a year out after graduating to gravel, Europe is very popular and many end up in UK, some stay.
    But those who haver never traveled show kit by their attitude, more so with the virus situation, 'I never go overseas so why should I worry about the Vaccine'

As long as I can remember I haver been travelling somewhere, began in the war when we were moved around from town to town, then leaving home at 16.
    Here in Oz some are still at home at 30, no desire to leave and see the world, sad as far as I am concerned.

Like most of you I have been to places and seen things that opened my eyes to the real world, not the TV or other media coverage but fair dinkum stuff.

The sooner the world gets back to some form of normality and I can resume my travels the better.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Like you, John, I'm a great fan of young people travelling. NZ is so far from the rest of the world that you can get very insular down here and it makes me sad when so many young people stay at home until they marry and settle down. It is their choice but I think they've missed out on so much and become very complacent and unable to understand the way so many people in the world live.

That said, the trouble with raising kids who love to travel is that the boys, in particular, tend to meet the girls they marry and settle down overseas, which means that we grandparents miss out a lot when we can only see our grandkids on rare occasions. We have 3 sons. One lives in Sweden, one in London and one in the Sunshine Coast. Prior to Covid the one in Oz wasn't so bad - we could get a direct flight from Dunedin (where I live) to Brisbane, hire a car and 90 minutes later we'd be at their place. It was a bit harder financially to get over to Europe but even so we'd manage it every couple of years. Covid has changed all of that.

My youngest daughter also travelled a lot but she did come back to NZ to settle down, although she lives in the other island. At least I can still see her fairly frequently since we are Covid free and have no restrictions on travel within the country. Sadly, my oldest daughter has a serious mental illness and has spent most of her life in hospital since her first year at University. She's just been discharged after her latest stint of 15 years in hospital and is living with me. She and I are both really sad that her Dad didn't live to see her as well as she is. I'm hoping that she stays well enough to meet up with the rest of the family when we make the journey back to Scotland with my husband's ashes. He still has siblings and dozens of nieces and nephews down to a great-great nephew and niece, and I'd love her to meet them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Done my Travelling , and enough of it as i see!
    Now i am quite satisfied to relax, stay at Home most of the time and be where i know i am fairly safe!
    Travel these days even when you can, is still somewhat of a Jack in the Box, and one never knows what can happen while you are away in some distant Land.

But yes the Young like us in our days should try and see more of the World i guess, it certainly would open their Eyes a lot more to just sitting and watching the Box and playing silly games! LOL

Yes not like many of you that have travelled around , i have travelled and been in some dodgy places and situations some i would rather forget, but then also been to many great Cities and had some terrific times!

Time now though to settle in a Groove !!
    Senior Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Glennys, i hope all works out well for you and yours.

Vernon, I will attempt to keep travelling as long as i can still breathe, might be a bit tough after that.
    Once we get clearance to fly, hopefully by mid next year, I will be off like prawns in the sun.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good for you John. Cruising I imagine, though I would've thought you'd covered most of those!!!
    We will be glad like Glennys just to see our grandkids again in Melbourne.
    Don't you hate those passport photos....all to do with facial recognition, I look like I have just been dug up out of my grave LOL

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast