Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Women crew members and wives at sea.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: Women crew members and wives at sea.

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    That’s her Graham and that was my cabin the deck below the bridge deck outer starboard side. Days of our youth ? Some might say. Still 38 years to go after her. Ships like her were at one time the backbone of the British Merchant Navy. Cheers JS.
    I never saw any definitive answer as to why the Master's accommodation should be on the starboard side for'd of a vessel,and they nearly always were.I can only surmise that it was because that was the side that danger was most likely to come from i.e we are the giving way vessel and should alter course to starboard. On similar ships to the Warkworth, the Chief Engineer was on the port side for'd,with the midships cabins between them being Sparky(if he wasn't up on the bridge deck next to the Radio Shack) and the 2/O and 3/0.
    When I was a watchkeeper I nearly always avoided walking about on the starboard side above the Old Man,especially on the 12 to 4, in case I woke him up,and then would probably have to endure his annoying presence up there for the next few hours.We watchkeepers are a strange breed-we hate being alone-yet want to be left alone. I used to wear crepe-soled brothel creepers on the night watches .I would really have preferred my comfy slippers with pompoms on but probably would have looked a bit 'dodgy' in case of abandon ship.Still,better than no clothes or shoes in those circumstances,although I don't think fluffy slippers would last ten minutes when bailing out salt water from a lifeboat bilge.
    Same sort of thing in port-on cargo watch(no, I wore steel toecaps,not the fluffy slippers)- I would try and position the bridge front derricks,if not being used, in front of the Old Man's portholes on the starboard side...

Attached is a pic of the Crystal Jewel showing what devastation can ensue when a ship slices through your accommodation .It is on the port side,but is tragic in that the only casualty was the 14 year old Master's daughter who was sleeping in an empty spare cabin there and was killed when the bows of the British Aviator sliced through the accommodation on 23/9/1961. The Master himself broke both legs when he jumped from the Bridge onto the lower Bridge deck below .That collision itself was one of the first so-called 'radar-assisted ' collisions where both vessels were making successive small alterations of course each,instead of more substantial ones,not plotting correctly and assuming a clear passing port to port situation,and also proceeding at too fast a speed in reduced visibility,all contravening the Collision Regs....

I don't recall ever having nightmares at sea whilst asleep,but I often do since I swallowed t'anchor ,many years ago now.The same dream involves me being on watch,in coastal waters,lot of traffic around and being distracted by something elsewhere which I can't explain just what.About an hour later I suddenly realise I haven't looked out of the bridge windows or at the radar! Such a feeling of dread and then relief when I find we're proceeding OK. Then I wake up.Oh the sheer relief that I'm not at sea anymore!

2. Thanks j.sabourn, Des Taff Jenkins, cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Women crew members and wives at sea.

In the case of the Warkworth when I say stbd. Side I mean that literally the portion the starboard side ,the master as you say had the forward looking window , our cabin doors were side by side however. As regards slippers on the bridge , I see nothing wrong with that. During the whole time I was on the Silver pit I wore all the time disaster and all. I condensended to go and put a pairof shoes on , on arrival back in Aberdeen on. Meeting Royalty. At the time during one of the busy times the coast guard managed to get me on the VHF and I was not too worried about what they had to say, however they wanted to know when I was in the busy mode what the survivors were wearing , at the time my mind was on other things, and I said something like what are you talking about clothes of course, they tried to clarify what they were asking by saying what are you wearing , I was a bit peed off and said a pair of trouser a shirt and a pair of carpet slippers which was totally true.Then the noise of the burning and breaking up platform put all voice communication almost useless . The only protective gear supplied to ships crew were 4 discarded helicopter suits ex Dyce airport for boat crew. Job and finish. There may have been survival suits on the platform but I never saw any. Think that was the information they were looking for. As regards the deck below the bridge on the older ships being sacrosanct , Cappies favourite Captain who used to shout at him and had a bad reputation with everyone was all show. When I was second mate with him I used to slip down through the inside accomadation two decks down and through his deck which he had to himself and was told not to do. However if someone says don’t do this , I take that as a challenge. Innumerable times when I was creeping past his door curtain at 0430 a hand holding a glass would shoot out and say here second mate , drink this tell me what it is and I”II give you another one, he was only a make belief bully. Cheers JS.......
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 14th June 2021 at 02:30 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post # 100. CRYSTAL JEWEL and BRITISH AVIATOR

OFFICIAL BOT WRECK REPORT

I am pleased that most of the former BOT Wreck Reports on the Port Cities-Southampton-Plimsoll Org site are now available on the Southampton City Council -Local History-Maritime Digital Archive,Southampton. HERE.Then use search facility for name of vessel,or just browse. Then click on Check Availability,then click on the Digital Number displayed.Usually works for me !
    Last edited by Graham Shaw; 14th June 2021 at 06:05 AM.

5. Thanks j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz, N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There don't seem to be many women posting here. Are any wives still around? It would be great to have a chat about what it was like having a seafaring husband or to hear stories of your own time at sea.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Glennys
    There used to be a few , seems they have lost interest in this Thread or what?? Not many Ladies on Board here any more, which is a bit disappointing!
    Lets hope that your post may revive some , a wake up call! LOL

Thanks for asking!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

8. Thanks Glennys Faulds thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Shaw View Post
    Post # 100. CRYSTAL JEWEL and BRITISH AVIATOR

OFFICIAL BOT WRECK REPORT

I am pleased that most of the former BOT Wreck Reports on the Port Cities-Southampton-Plimsoll Org site are now available on the Southampton City Council -Local History-Maritime Digital Archive,Southampton. HERE.Then use search facility for name of vessel,or just browse. Then click on Check Availability,then click on the Digital Number displayed.Usually works for me !
    Hello Graham
    I seem to have missed this Thread but anyway thanks its a good site that you give.
    The Report of the two Ships as well, as my late Brother was on the British Aviator but before that incident, she was a lovely Ship i was aboard her a few times with Greg.

Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

10. Thanks Graham Shaw thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#103... Hi Glenys good to see you have taken the time out to enquire. I cant remember of your situation whether you were one of the few who travelled with your husband or not. If my wife had to talk about ships she would have very little to say as the only times she set foot on them was in port when she came to see me, and later brought the kids down as well. She was only aware that I was away for long periods of time, and never talked about ships at home as had better things to do. However if you did travel with your husband I would imagine it would be a total new experience to you and well remembered . Being married to a seafarer was no picnic and takes a certain type of woman. I wouldnt like to think of the marriage break ups because of it. Im coming up to the 60 years line and have been lucky. Regards JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi JS,

I was lucky enough to have one trip with my husband but once the kids started coming along (5 altogether). that really ruled out further travel. My husband was a Glaswegian. I met him out here, he was going back to the UK for study leave to sit his steam endorsement and gave me the choice of getting engaged and waiting until he was back in NZ to get married, or getting a plane ticket to the UK in lieu of an engagement ring and getting married straight away. I chose the latter and never regretted it. He did have a couple of attempts at leaving the sea once we'd settled in NZ. Firstly he worked as a shift engineer at one of the dairy factories, then he was chief engineer on the old steam tug Otago down here in Dunedin. The call of the deep blue was a bit much for him though so he joined Union Steam and was with them for several years before finally giving up and becoming an Inspector with the Marine Division of the MOT down here (similar to the BOT I suppose). I think he always had a yearning to go back to sea but by that time things were changing rapidly and the days of the Playboys of the South Pacific (Geriatrics of the South Pacific if any are left) were well over.

Glennys

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

He was motor engineer then with a steam endorsement commonly known as a double barreled Chief. My cousin was the same and finished up teaching at Launceston nautical college , also with a similar career to your husband. He started his sea career with RFA which I believe were mostly steam turbines so would probably have got the steam ticket first. As regards my very brief excursion looking for shore employment came to nothing probably because of lack of money , and a lack of adventure by the missus. The first one was assistant Quay master at North Shields Fish Quay where the wages would barely pay for fish and chips on a Friday night for 4 of us by this time. A lecturer at St. John’s Newfoundland at the College of Fisheries. The wife would not leave hearth and home for what she believed was a fog shrouded piece of snow covered Island. A job with cable and wireless on their cable ships which came too late as ran out of money and had to go back to sea via a Canadian company. Being married to a seafarer was no easy task as he would always be trying to be ahead of the game as regards employment at least. For a single man easy , for a family man a different ball game .Its really a fallacy we were all the times playboys , we did have our serious moments. Regards JS

I went to school with twins called Watson , they both settled in N.Z.and both worked for union steam , one of them diversified into stevedoring later. I often wonder if they are still alive. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 13th July 2021 at 02:47 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes. he was a double-barrelled Chief. Sorry your wife wasn't a bit more adventurous. She missed out on a lot in my humble opinion. Still, it wasn't for everyone. If I hadn't got pregnant every year I don't think you could have kept me away from the sea. I loved my all too short time on board. I was a bit tongue-in-cheek about The Playboys of the South Pacific. That's what Shaw Savill engineers used to call themselves but, in reality, most of them with wives back in the UK were fairly responsible when it came to other women. I did meet one who sent his girlfriend out from the UK and installed her in Wellington so he had his wife and kids in Dundee and his girlfriend out here, but he was the exception rather than the rule. The young, unmarried guys were a different kettle of fish entirely. They were out for adventure wherever they could find it, just as young men everywhere, and apart from leaving a few broken hearted girls behind when they left they were causing no harm. In general I found seafarers to be a really caring group of men, no matter what their rank and position. Unfortunately, my husband was not the type who kept up friendships once he'd left a ship. Once he was on leave he just wanted to spend time with me and the kids so he wasn't interested in keeping in touch with old shipmates. His loss really, as we met some truly wonderful people on the various ships he was on.

Glennys

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast