Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Wives please get in touch.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wink Your Sea Stories

Hi Guys

Get your wives to respond on this page - wives of MN people who want to chat about life, The Universe and Everything.

I'm still here although it's holiday time and things are going a bit slow. Everyone is out boozing and snoozing - except this summer hasn't been all we hoped.

I've sent my novel to lots of publishers this week and hope to get the writing forum going as soon as I get back from holiday in Devon. It's all in the bag and will keep you informed.

Lin x
    Last edited by Lin Treadgold; 1st August 2011 at 07:47 AM.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Victoria Moss liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Hello

Hi Lin,

I'm not the wife of a mariner, but I'm a daughter and grand-daugher of mariners, here mainly searching for my father, Ron Wade. Thought I'd just pop in this forum and say hello. I've read some of the threads in here and it must have been both lots of fun and yet a little intimidating joining your husbands on some of the ships. But what a wonderful way to see the world.

I can't share much in the way of ocean travel, except that I was a passenger on the QE2 in 1973, doing the trans-Atlantic crossing to the UK. I remember it very fondly though.

Cheers,
    Jacyn

4. Thanks Doc Vernon, Tiger1 thanked for this post
    Likes Victoria Moss liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Lin and everyone else! It's fantastic to hear all of your stories!
    My husband is a Merchant Navy Officer Cadet so this is all still quite new to me but he loves his new career and because it makes him so happy...I'm happy for him.
    There are a number of us Merchant Navy Wives and Girlfriends on Facebook and we have our own little group who support each other through the long sea phases. I will direct them to come and read your stories but i was also considering starting my own forum just for the Ladies. (Merchant Navy WAGS as we call ourselves) I think what you have here is a brilliant idea, but i think it's beauty is that you have kept it as a sacred place for pleasant reminiscing. Some of the girls might be worried about complaining about how tough it can be and bringing the tone to a more negative place. Do you think you and some of the more experienced wives would be willing to join us on Facebook or a new forum to share some of your wisdom and encouragement which is dearly needed to get us through these sometimes challenging times?

6. Likes Victoria Moss liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Wives please get in touch.

This Thread is being Re Opened but remember this is for the Ladies Only! Please !!

Any replies from any Male Members will be deleted no questions asked.

Thank You
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 24th May 2019 at 06:55 AM.
    Senior Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

8. Thanks Captain Kong, Tiger1 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Letters do count

I met my husband when I was leaving South Africa having reached the end of my visa there. I almost missed the ship as I had been given the wrong information in Port Elizabeth as to embarkation and departure times. Luckily a friend in Durban checked and hastily contacted me ( in a game park near Zululand) to say get back quick the boat leaves earlier!
    I had to board at the stern of the ship as the other gangway was already pulled back. I wasn't the only one a few others had to literally run the gauntlet to the stern with me to the cheers of those already on board!
    So started the letter writing after I disembarked in Sydney. My husband sailed off I went to Hobart so even when he was in Sydney I couldn't always get there. He also had the Typhoid thing in Vancouver where he was quarantined in the harbour for approx. 3 weeks.
    Nowadays I guess it would be social media or emails. Don't think those would be as effective as a good old letter.
    We had a competitive thing going sending funny cards to each other. He had an advantage because at times he was in USA so the card shops there were great where as Hobart was very limited. Even my postie got into the action commenting and scoring who had the best card.
    This only went on for about a year until I went to UK. For those ladies who had to have months over years without the other half it must've been difficult at times. Family celebrations Christmas etc. For the guys it must've been tough too I suppose it depended on who they worked for and where they routinely went. Good way to see the ports of the world though. Cheers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How great to see there are so many ladies out there. Come and tell us your tales and experiences even if it was a long time ago such as myself.
    I did a lot of travelling in the late 60's-70 most of that was by ship. I lived on the other side of the world so it took a long time to get to places like UK and Europe.
    Now I live on an Island and still do a lot of ferry travel. I enjoy watching the wake of a ship, so much more relaxed and comfortable way to travel if you have the time.
    I look forward to seeing all your posts.
    Vicki

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ladies interesting posts about your lives sailing on board with your partners. Certainly you saw a lot of the world.
    Reading the contents I don't think I would have been so good at sea for such long periods of time. I probably would've chaffed at the confinement on board. In those days I was pretty much a free spirit.
    I sailed on a lot of ships but not extremely long voyages and always as a passenger.
    To me the ports were a starting point to travel inland, cross country. Ports were the taster to finding out what might be further available off ship.
    My husband was on a passenger ship and as such was not allowed to sail with partners.
    My husband left the sea when we got married his choice. We have travelled a lot together since. Everyone is different and I am enjoying what you have to say about your lives at sea.
    Last edited by Victoria Moss; 27th May 2019 at 05:21 AM.

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lin Treadgold View Post
    I asked Brian to open this thread because I am sure there are plenty of wives out there who want to have their say. Please join me with your stories. My name is Lin and I am writer, but I used to sail as the wife of an engineer officer on Blue Funnel, Glen Line and Elder Dempster Ships.

If anyone out there remembers me please don't hesitate to get in touch. I sailed on The Menestheus, Glen Falloch, Achilles, Falaba, Eboe and a few more of which I can't remember because it was short. I travelled around the world for about six years. This was between 1971 - 1977.

I have since re-married 32 years ago. The trips on the ship made us grow up! We saw life as we had never seen it before. I think lots of wives moved on, but I would like to hear from some of you ladies even if you didn't sail with me or got divorced or whatever - please tell us your stories. I still have some photos.

Lin
    Was it because you could "see" the world or just wanted to be with your husband you chose to sail for so long?
    By the time I met my husband I had travelled extensively on my own so I would probably not have wanted to go to sea. His cabin was tiny so that would not have been an inducement I guess. I also trusted him so wasn't concerned about " a girl in every port" you hear about.
    I also had a land based career that had enabled me to work in places I wouldn't have been allowed into if I hadn't had that.
    When we were getting to know each other he was sailing all over the place while I was working in Hobart. We wrote letters at least several a week. Not all these letters arrived in a timely manner because it depended where he was, so we could go weeks with nothing then suddenly there would be several delivered at once.
    Intermittently we did managed to catch up but only fleetingly so it was that support of letters that glued us.
    We have been together for 50yrs now so it seems to have worked for us.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5