Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shackamaxon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Shackamaxon

Hello; first post, here.

I came across your forum via the entry on the website of the ship, Shackamaxon. This is the vessel in which my ancestors arrived in Australia and Im keen to know more about the Shackamaxon, her Captain Wm H West (also referred to elsewhere as HW West), her builder and her owner

First I'd like to ask, can anyone explain the connection of this ship to the White Star Line, as I can't find such a reference elsewhere?

Can anyone here give me more on the history of the ship? Her type? Capt Wm H West (aka HW West)? The builder, and the original owner McHenry & Co?

Hopefully there are lots of nautical history buffes here who can help me.

Cheers

Rosemary

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, Captain Kong, Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Shackamaxon

Hello Rosemary

The only Ship at this stage that i find is this one with details.

Shackamaxon (Ferry) USA ID Number 2023001
    Built 1886 393 Tons By WM Cramp and Son Philadelphia
    Also
    Neafie & Levy, Philadelphia

More than likely this is a different Ship as the Pwners are different than what you state.

Will look into it
    Cheers

Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have come across this not much but I am still working on it

Ship Shackamaxon

Liverpool, England to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    19 November 1853
    [No.8.]Printed and Sold by John C. Clark, 60 Dock Street
    Report or Manifest of all the Passengers taken on board the Ship Shackamaxon whereof Wm H. West is Captain, from Liverpool, burthen1090 14/95 tons and owned by G McHenry & Co of Philadelphia and bound to Philadelphia.

[TSL] Ship "Shackamaxon"

https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/381...19291/?lp=true

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/38459212
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 27th December 2018 at 08:57 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Home People Projects Genealogy DNA Tests
    Start My Family TreeWelcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
    Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.
    Follow
    "Shackamaxon" (Ship) - Colonists to South Australia - 1853
    « Back to Projects Dashboard

Project Discussions
    18 Project Profiles
    Photos and Documents
    Project Tags
    1853 Colonists Shackamaxon Ship South Australia
    Related Projects

Australian Pioneers 1788-1900
    Bound for South Australia
    Top Surnames
    Speck, Spurling, Bowgen, Coral and 1 other
    Profiles
    Robert Speck (1849 - 1912)
    Mary Ann Speck (1845 - 1895)
    Rebecca Speck (1852 - d.)
    John Speck (1839 - 1892)
    William Speck (1819 - 1884)
    About
    View in: English (default) edithistory
    The ship Shackamaxon, 1090 tons, Captain H.W. West, from Liverpool, 4th October 1852, arrived at Port Adelaide, South Australia 19th January 1853.

Sources:

The Ships Passenger List
    If you have information on passengers or need help locating them on the tree, start a discussion here..

Some of the passengers:
    Speck John 32 Farm Labourer 1520/3 Cambridge

Sophia (Bowgen) 33
    James 11
    Thomas 9
    Samuel 1
    Speck William 34 Agr. Labourer 1520/3 Cambridge

Sarah (Coral) 36
    John 13
    Hannah 10
    Mary Ann 7
    Robert 3
    Rebecca inf
    As they have the same name, same number and came from the same area, it is being presumed on the tree that they are brothers.

Stories
    MARRIED. South Australian Register, Monday 28 February 1853, p. 2 On board the emigrant ship Shackamaxon at sea, on the 20th of November last, by Capt W. H. West, according to American usage, and again on the 26th instant, by the Deputy Registrar, at his office, Victoria-square, Adelaide, James Fawcett [sic] Esq., late of Chalfont, St Giles, in the County of Bucks, England, to Elizabeth Cooper Viney, daughter of the late William Viney, Esq., Collector of Customs, Margate, Kent.

Manage Privacy ×
    Personalized ads
    OffOn
    These cookies are set through our site by our advertising partners. They may be used by those companies to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant ads on other sites. They work by uniquely identifying your browser and device. If you do not allow these cookies, you will not experience our targeted advertising across different websites.

To serve you personalized ads, we share your data with the following partners:

Google
    Click here for more information about how we use your data.

Searches Related to Home People Projects Genealogy DNA Tests Start My Family TreeWelcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree. Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree. Follow "Shackamaxon" (Ship) - Colonists to South Australia - 1853 « Back to Projects Dashboard Project Discussions 18 Project Profiles Photos and Documents Project Tags 1853 Colonists Shackamaxon Ship South Australia Related Projects Australian Pioneers 1788-1900 Bound for South Australia Top Surnames Speck, Spurling, Bowgen, Coral and 1 other view all Profiles Robert Speck (1849 - 1912) Mary Ann Speck (1845 - 1895) Rebecca Speck (1852 - d.) John Speck (1839 - 1892) William Speck (1819 - 1884) About View in: English (default) edithistory The ship Shackamaxon, 1090 tons, Captain H.W. West, from Liverpool, 4th October 1852, arrived at Port Adelaide, South Australia 19th January 1853. Sources: The Ships Passenger List If you have information on passengers or need help locating them on the tree, start a discussion here.. Some of the passengers: Speck John 32 Farm Labourer 1520/3 Cambridge Sophia (Bowgen) 33 James 11 Thomas 9 Samuel 1 Speck William 34 Agr. Labourer 1520/3 Cambridge Sarah (Coral) 36 John 13 Hannah 10 Mary Ann 7 Robert 3 Rebecca inf As they have the same name, same number and came from the same area, it is being presumed on the tree that they are brothers. Stories MARRIED. South Australian Register, Monday 28 February 1853, p. 2 On board the emigrant ship Shackamaxon at sea, on the 20th of November last, by Capt W. H. West, according to American usage, and again on the 26th instant, by the Deputy Registrar, at his office, Victoria-square, Adelaide, James Fawcett [sic] Esq., late of Chalfont, St Giles, in the County of Bucks, England, to Elizabeth Cooper Viney, daughter of the late William Viney, Esq., Collector of Customs, Margate, Kent.
    Shackamaxon
    Colonists to South Australia
    to compose a complete list of ships to Australia and their passengers
    Ship
    Geni
    This project
    Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni
    "Shackamaxon" (Ship) - Colonists to South Australia - 1853 - Geni
    https://www.geni.com/projects/Shacka...lia-1853/31267
    Geni Project: "Shackamaxon" (Ship) - Colonists to South Australia - 1853. The ship Shackamaxon, 1090 tons, Captain H.W. West, from Liverpool. ... Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree. Follow ... passengers or need help locating them on the tree, start a discussion here.
    Bound for South Australia - Geni
    https://www.geni.com/projects/Bound-...ustralia/18356
    Bound for South Australia Portal page for projects related to immigration to South Australia. ... Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree. ... Unlike the older colonies on Australia's eastern seaboard there were to be ... SEARCH your Last Name here Then note what ship they came out in.
    Australian Pioneers 1788-1900 - Geni
    https://www.geni.com/projects/Austra...788-1900/26654
    This project is to compose a complete list of ships to Australia and their passengers. ... Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree ... of birth is unknown) and died on 2 July 1846 in New South Wales, Australia. ... PAINE on 17/3/1832 in Beckley, Sussex, England and they had the following c ...
    Related Searches
    Shackamaxon
    Ship
    Colonists to South Australia
    Geni
    This project
    to compose a complete list of ships to Australia and their passengers
    Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni
    home of the world's largest family tree
    and died on 2 July 1846 in New South Wales
    Search History
    Home People Projects Genealogy DNA Tests Start My Family TreeWelcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree. Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree. Follow "Shackamaxon" (Ship) - Colonists to South Australia - 1853 « Back to Projects Dashboard Project Discussions 18 Project Profiles Photos and Documents Project Tags 1853 Colonists Shackamaxon Ship South Australia Related Projects Australian Pioneers 1788-1900 Bound for South Australia Top Surnames Speck, Spurling, Bowgen, Coral and 1 other view all Profiles Robert Speck (1849 - 1912) Mary Ann Speck (1845 - 1895) Rebecca Speck (1852 - d.) John Speck (1839 - 1892) William Speck (1819 - 1884) About View in: English (default) edithistory The ship Shackamaxon, 1090 tons, Captain H.W. West, from Liverpool, 4th October 1852, arrived at Port Adelaide, South Australia 19th January 1853. Sources: The Ships Passenger List If you have information on passengers or need help locating them on the tree, start a discussion here.. Some of the passengers: Speck John 32 Farm Labourer 1520/3 Cambridge Sophia (Bowgen) 33 James 11 Thomas 9 Samuel 1 Speck William 34 Agr. Labourer 1520/3 Cambridge Sarah (Coral) 36 John 13 Hannah 10 Mary Ann 7 Robert 3 Rebecca inf As they have the same name, same number and came from the same area, it is being presumed on the tree that they are brothers. Stories MARRIED. South Australian Register, Monday 28 February 1853, p. 2 On board the emigrant ship Shackamaxon at sea, on the 20th of November last, by Capt W. H. West, according to American usage, and again on the 26th instant, by the Deputy Registrar, at his office, Victoria-square, Adelaide, James Fawcett [sic] Esq., late of Chalfont, St Giles, in the County of Bucks, England, to Elizabeth Cooper Viney, daughter of the late William Viney, Esq., Collector of Customs, Margate, Kent.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the Albert Dock, Maritime Museum (Liverpool) there is a ' mock-up' of the Shackamaxon. You walk down a Dockside Street with the sounds and smells until you board the ship.- steerage. Racks of bunks. Our g/children love it. When our girls were little we were passing a bunk when suddenly a figure rose from the sacking blankets.'whoooooo'. Nearly had a heart attack/nasty accident or both.......!
    Worth a visit.
    regards
    Brenda

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Brenda,
    I did that a few years ago,
    I sat motionless like one of the figures in the semi darkness by the bunks, and when a family with kids came in I suddenly jumped and everyone screamed,
    was the DVD OK??
    Cheers
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brenda Shackleton View Post
    In the Albert Dock, Maritime Museum (Liverpool) there is a ' mock-up' of the Shackamaxon. You walk down a Dockside Street with the sounds and smells until you board the ship.- steerage. Racks of bunks. Our g/children love it. When our girls were little we were passing a bunk when suddenly a figure rose from the sacking blankets.'whoooooo'. Nearly had a heart attack/nasty accident or both.......!
    Worth a visit.
    regards
    Brenda
    Hi Brenda have you heard anymore from your source regarding the BOA Memorial for the Pier Head.I was holding the fort last week in the mission as they were all out in the mini buses looking after the seamen.I answered the phone and as it happened it was Billy Anderson the chairman of the Retired Merchant Seamen Liverpool Branch,I asked him about the memorial,he has left the committee as has the RN chap that was on it,I think a guy from Peel Ports is looking after it now.He said watch out for some news in the new year.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

9. Thanks Brenda Shackleton, Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Brian,
    Watched the DVD last night and really enjoyed it. In the second part ,filmed in 2004, it seemed that the Russians wanted to retrieve artefacts from the Barents Sea. Was that right? I thought that these places were designated War graves. Perhaps you know these things better than me.
    Anyway, thank you again for thinking of me . It was very kind of you.
    Happy New Year to you and yours
    regards
    Brenda

11. Thanks Captain Kong, Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for the post Brenda, Glad you enjoyed it, It is one you cannot buy as it was only issued to the Veterans.
    My friend, Bob, now deceased, is the very small thin man with a chest full of medals.
    Happy New Year to you and Peter.
    All the best
    Brian

13. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Jim,
    I wrote to the big Chief in June and have not had a reply.......
    Will send you a PB
    regards
    Brenda

15. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Likes Jim Brady, Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast