Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: SS Baron Dechmont of Ardrossan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default SS Baron Dechmont of Ardrossan

My great uncle Donald (Dan) Tarrel was boatswain of the SS Baron Dechmont and lost at sea when she was torpedoed in 1943. I have pictures of both he and Master Donald MacCalllum,captain of the Dechmont and will post them when I figure out how and where to. Captain MacCallum was taken POW on Harro Schacht's U-boat 507 and perished when she was sunk days later with all hands. I gratefully received his picture from his only grandchild,Frederick Donald tosh of Glasgow Scotland. regards,Tom
    Last edited by Donald (Dan) Tarrel; 28th November 2010 at 02:56 PM.

2. Thanks David Tarrel, Des Taff Jenkins, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes David Tarrel liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default The ‘baron dechm0nt’ story.

I would love to send all that I hold on the THE ‘BARON DECHM0NT’ STORY.

Alas, was sent to me for my eyes only so as to speak.

Please contact David Simpson of Barry: certain he will be very interested and can furnish all, any problems I will contact him on your behalf and hopefully then pass all on.

davesimpson321@ntlworld.com

Copy to:

manager@barrymerchantseamen.org.uk

http://www.barrymerchantseamen.org.uk/

Certain between all we can assist more.

To: David

A gent seeks info on the SS Baron Dechmont, I would not pass on what you have sent to me in trust / good faith without permission, hence my contact. Have suggested he contact you direct.

Would love to be kept in the loop, but not to interfere.

Regards,

Keith.
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 27th November 2010 at 08:36 PM.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Dan Tarrel,SS Baron Dechmont

hi Keith; the years go by!!! Have you yet received permission to forward the Baron Dechmont information? I am most anxious to see it to hear the rest of the story, thank you very much,Tom

6. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default I will search my archive:

I will search my archive:

Hopefully, of help, just it was then an elderly gents work, doubt if there will be much that you have not found, but will assist as much as pos. Busy at the mo, but will respond by or before the weekend.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi here is a photo of the Baron Dechmont taken in Cape Town, from the Old ship Photos site.
    Cheers
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Have located an early mail on this:

May explain my seemingly lack in input then:

BARON DECHMONT

Cargo ship Baron Dechmont, 3,675grt, (H. Hogarths & Sons Ltd) had loaded a cargo of coal & coke and had sailed from Barry and Milford Haven and joined up with the outward bound Convoy ON-150, which departed Liverpool on the 1st December 1942 and arrived at New York Christmas Day. The Baron Dechmont had loaded he cargo for Pernambuco, Brazil and had left the convoy and had been sailing independently when she was intercepted by U-507 in the South Atlantic North-West of Cape San Roque, Brazil. At 18.00 hours (CET) on the 3rd January 1943 the ship was torpedoed and sunk in position 03’ 11S 38’ 41W. The survivors having abandoned ship many injured were approached by the U-boat who took the ships Master, Captain Donald MacCallum prisoner. Unfortunately he was killed ten days after when the U-boat herself was sunk. Twenty-eight crew and eight DEMS gunners eventually landed at Fortalaza off the North-East coast of Brazil. In total eight men killed.

Tower Hill Memorial. Panel 14

BUCKLEY, Donkeyman, MICHAEL, S.S. Baron Dechmont (Ardrossan). Merchant Navy. 3rd January 1943. Age 26. Son of James and Julia Buckley, of Kinsale, Co. Cork, Irish Republic; husband of Eileen Buckley, of Barry, Glamorgan.

BURGE, Fireman and Trimmer, BERTIE GEORGE, S.S. Baron Dechmont (Ardrossan). Merchant Navy. 3rd January 1943. Age 22.

BURNETT, Greaser, PERCIVAL, S.S. Baron Dechmont (Ardrossan). Merchant Navy. 3rd January 1943. Age 25.

HORTOP, Carpenter, ROBERT SAMUEL, S.S. Baron Dechmont (Ardrossan). Merchant Navy. 3rd January 1943. Age 35. Son of John Richard and Alice Hortop, of Barry, Glamorgan; husband of Elizabeth Hortop, of Barry.

LEAN, Fireman and Trimmer, FREDERICK, S.S. Baron Dechmont (Ardrossan). Merchant Navy. 3rd January 1943. Age 59.

MacCALLUM, Master, DONALD, S.S. Baron Dechmont (Ardrossan). Merchant Navy. 13th January 1943. Age 40. Son of Duncan and Catherine MacCallum; husband of Christina MacCallum, of Glasgow.

REEVES, Fireman and Trimmer, NORMAN, S.S. Baron Dechmont (Ardrossan). Merchant Navy. 3rd January 1943. Age 21. Son of George Worthy Reeves and Lilian Maud Reeves, of Barry Island, Glamorgan.

TARREL, Boatswain, DONALD, S.S. Baron Dechmont (Ardrossan). Merchant Navy. 3rd January 1943. Age 50. Son of John and Isabella Tarrel; husband of May Florence A. Tarrel, of South Chingford, Essex.

Captain McCallum was just one of eight British MN Officers taken onboard U-boats during WWII, who died when the U-boats were sunk while they were still on board

Here with the 'Dechmont' story:

It is not yet completed...I have three charts which illustrate the whole trip. We: Charles and I will enter it in the website when complete.

It is particularly important to us because it concerns Fred Hortop's brother.

Some of the material I have is not ours to pass on.

David Simpson:

Not certain if you ever attempted contact with David Simpson of Barry: certain he will be very interested and can furnish all, any problems I will contact him on your behalf and hopefully then pass all on.

davesimpson321@ntlworld.com

Copy to:

manager@barrymerchantseamen.org.uk

Barry Merchant Seamen - Welcome

Back ASAP. K.
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 26th July 2012 at 08:42 PM.

11. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Her Name Was Baron Dechmont:

Just located one file, but could not upload as apparently the file is to big for the site, will break it down further and post tommorow, tpossibly also failed previously, will attempt to look up more. K.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Dan:

Can you e.mail me at: kgmaritime.research@googlemail.com

PLEASE ADD MN BARON D OR SIMILAR IN THE TITLE TO AVOID SPAM.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is a survivors report for the Baron Dechmont held at The National Archives at Kew in file ADM199/2144 If you intend to order this file her report starts on page 14 in the file stated.
    Last edited by DeepSea; 27th July 2012 at 02:10 PM.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

15. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A good friend and contact of mine is in possession of the Survivors Reports from January to March 1943, which will include Baron Dechmont. Will endeavour to pass onto you when I receive it.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

17. Thanks Neil Dickie, David Tarrel thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast