Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: SS Baron Dechmont of Ardrossan

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: SS Baron Dechmont of Ardrossan

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Dickie View Post
    Hello,

I am trying to find out about my Granfather John Dickie. Unfortunately, his service logs and certificates are lost, but I believe he was an Engineer first on the Baron Ailsa, then the Baron Dechmont and finally on the Baron Elgin.

Does anyone know what happened to the survivors after the Baron Dechmont was sunk?

The story we have is that they landed in Brazil, and I was hoping someone might have some more informatiion?
    Out of interest could you give John's date and place of birth ? Keith.

2. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Survivors Report for the Baron Ailsa if he was on her when she was sunk by a mine in 1940.

Baron-Ailsa.jpg Baron-Ailsa-II.jpg
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Dickie View Post
    Hello,

I am trying to find out about my Granfather John Dickie. Unfortunately, his service logs and certificates are lost, but I believe he was an Engineer first on the Baron Ailsa, then the Baron Dechmont and finally on the Baron Elgin.

Does anyone know what happened to the survivors after the Baron Dechmont was sunk?

The story we have is that they landed in Brazil, and I was hoping someone might have some more informatiion?
    Was he ? Born in DALRY Scotland 1886

RE: his service logs and certificates are lost: COULD THESE HAVE BEEN SOLD ?

Would make his list of ships:

VERNON . AILSA. (voyage description is OHMS) S.S.L'INVICTA . MUNERIC . S.S. BARON KELVIN . S.S. BARON LOVAT . BARON SEMPILL. S.S. BARON NEWLANDS . (voyage description foreign) S.S. BARON LOUDEN. (voyage meddit). AGAIN ON THE VERNON. THESE NEXT 3 SHIPS HAVE BEEN WRITEN IN HAND. BARON WICHMONT ??? DECHMONT, LABEN HOWES ??? EMPIRE DUKE (Special Operations) EMPIRE PLOUGHMAN . BARON HAIGH . BARON YARBOROUGH . IN VIEW OF THE OUTCOME OF SOME OF THE ABOVE SHIPS THIS MANS LUCK OR TIMING WAS PRETTY GOOD.RETIRED IN 1949.

5. Likes N/A liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Certain this is your relative John Dickie;

16 ITEMS which all relate to John Dickie (1) Photos x 3 (2) a poem typed on H. Hogarth & sons ltd company paper. (3) Merit Certificate dated april 1900. (4) Certificate of competency dated 20/jan/1913 (5) log book: continuous cert of discharge from 11/4/1911---ending 7/1/1931 (6) log book: continuous cert of discharge from30/4/1931----ending9/6/1449. (7) Liberation of europe pay sheet :dated 15/5/1944. (8) a letter from The Merchant Navy & Air Line Officers Assoc regarding the Honours list May1956. (9) 2nd letter from The Merchant Navy & Air Line Officers Assoc regarding the Honours list June 1956. (10) death cert 27 June 1956. (11) letter from MPNI. (12) 2nd although diff letter from MPNI. (13) letter from city liverpool regards book of rememberance. (14) Ministry Of Transport & Civil Aviation. which reads The certificate of Competancy of your husband the late Mr John Dickie, M.B.E. has been cancelled. (15) Personal letter from the ship S.S.Baron Elgin. (16) 1914 1918 imp war medal with his name engraved on the side And the 1939 --1945 star GRJ V1. Born in DALRY Scotland 1886 left school in 1900 and joined the M/N although cant be sure when but his first log starts on the 11/jan/1911 as a fourth engineer on the VERMONT and continued with the Baron Fleet through two world wars.

Keith.

CERTIFICATE OF DISCHARGE & COMPETANCY CHEIF ENGINEER (03/26/2011)

7. Thanks N/A, Neil Dickie thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Donald (Dan) Tarrel View Post
    My great uncle Donald (Dan) Tarrel was boatswain of the SS Baron Dechmont and lost at sea when she was torpedoed in 1943. I have pictures of both he and Master Donald MacCalllum,captain of the Dechmont and will post them when I figure out how and where to. Captain MacCallum was taken POW on Harro Schacht's U-boat 507 and perished when she was sunk days later with all hands. I gratefully received his picture from his only grandchild,Frederick Donald tosh of Glasgow Scotland. regards,Tom

Photograph of Donald Tarrel, Easter Ross, who served with Captain Donald MacCallum, Balevullin.

n164-185x300.jpg

Black & white photograph of Donald (Dan) Tarrel of Hilton, Easter Ross, who served aboard the SS Baron Dechmont of Ardrossan with Captain Donald MacCallum, Balevullin, during WWII. The U-boat in which both had been taken PoW in 1943, was sunk by American bombers days later with the loss of all lives.

AND

Photograph of Captain Donald A MacCallum, Balevullin, ca 1930.

n163-229x300.jpg

Black & white photograph of Captain Donald A MacCallum, Balevullin (1910-1943), when he was a young deck officer around 1930.

boats and water travel | An Iodhlann | Page 5

9. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Keith, yes he was born in Dalry in 1886.

11. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, that's him!, its uncanny to see the photo, as we have some photos of him on the Baron Elgin (?) docked somewhere in Africa.

I did'nt know about theses papers, but he had two children, Margaret and John, so I guess they went down the other line.

Do you think there could be any information on what happened in South America, only it was never spoken about?

Thanks for your help

Neil

13. Likes N/A liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Will do all possible to help ASAP, as am certain others on site have and will do also. K

15. Likes N/A liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

17. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi, my grandfather, Donald Tarrel was lost at sea on the Baron Dechmont. Some of my family are curious for more details i.e. did he survive the initial torpedo impact or did he manage to initially et away on a lifeboat etc. would anyone have information on this ?

19. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast