Thread: Looking for any info on William Foster born 1889 from Argyll or any Scapa Flow stories

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Looking for any info on William Foster born 1889 from Argyll or any Scapa Flow stories

Hello all,
    I'm looking for any info on William Foster (my grandad) who served in the Merchant Navy during the war. He was awarded the IT,AT and WM but my aunt sold them a long time ago. There is also a story that he was awarded a DSO from the King but I'm not sure how to find out if this is the case!
    I'm based in Orkney and am studying some of the buildings near the port of Lyness as part of my archaeology degree so I'd also be really interested in hearing from anyone who had family members who spent time at Scapa Flow.
    Cheers
    Susan

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Looking for any info on William Foster born 1889 from Argyll or any Scapa Flow stories

Hello Susan
    Can we have his Place and date of Birth please to help locate any info on him!
    Thank You

PS Just seen your other Post which helps !

As you can see his list of Ships served on are listed with Official Ship Numbers and dates!
    Cheers

You can look up each Ship from the Crew list Project, just scroll to Ships by Official Number ENTER THEN SEARCH

Crew List Index Project

eg Like his first Ship Baron Haig

Crew List Index Project
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 12th February 2024 at 08:41 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

4. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Looking for any info on William Foster born 1889 from Argyll or any Scapa Flow stories

[13-02, 04:52] Susan Taylor: Is there any way I can get a copy of my great grandad's medals? He got the IT,AT but they were sold by another member of the family.

Hi Susan
    Please post things relate to your Initial Post with that posting, otherwise there is too much confusing. Also that Chat Box is not for such questions
    Thank you

Re Replacement Medals.
    You would have to Email the MOD and ask them there !
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 12th February 2024 at 09:27 PM.

R697530

6. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1. D.S.O. Following the Crimean Campaign and the Indian Mutiny , Queen Victoria instituted the Distinguished Service Order . This award was designed to reward officers in the armed services for gallantry or for distinguished service in the face of the enemy. Eligibility was extended to the Merchant Navy in 1943. Nomination may only be made for those mentioned in dispatches.

Best if nothing forthcoming is contact the MOD or the Chancellery direct if they will confirm or not from their records
    JS
    R575129

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have looked at a few lists of the Issue of the DSO but cannot see his name anywhere , so may not have received one ?? There were two of that Surname on the listings, but both with the wrong First names! Sorry

Distinguished Service Order Register 1886-1945 in WO 390/1 to WO 390/13. Select a date range; download (free of charge) the item containing the index for that date range to obtain a page number; download (£) the item covering the page range within which your number from the index falls. Other than the name of the recipient, the register contains the date of the announcement in the London Gazette and sometimes the date of death.

R697530

10. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think in the manner of any orders of chivalry especially the older ones going back centuries you are requested on receiving such to make arrangements for the Chancellory to be made aware of your demise , you are also requested to keep informed the same to your place of abode. This by what I can gather is that members of the higher orders their numbers for maximum alive beings is stipulated. They may seem huge number wise at the ceremony’s but in actuality they are just completing their allowed quota. So any past person who has kept up with what was asked of him ,his history regarding his movements should be available. If he hasn’t then tuff luck. JS
    R575129