Thread: Trying to discover more about merchant seaman Frank Brady - my granddad

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Trying to discover more about merchant seaman Frank Brady - my granddad

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to research my grandfather, Frank Brady, who was a merchant seaman, predominantly a ship's cook.

Frank Brady was born 20 March 1886 in Hull, Yorkshire (according to an American document) however, I have not located Frank's UK birth certificate or a parish record of his birth/baptism.

The first official record I can find for Frank Brady is a United States World War 1 Draft Registration Card dated 6 June 1917 when he was 31 years old and working on the Great Lakes, serving as an Assistant Steward for the Detroit & Cleveland Steam Navigation Company aboard the Steamer 'City of Mackinac II'. On his draft form he reported having already served 1 year 9 months in the British Army during WW1. I believe Frank worked as a British merchant seaman before this, but as yet I have found no record of this.

From 29 October 1918 to 6 February 1919 Frank Brady was once again listed in the British Army (Number 2052860) serving as a Gunner with 355 Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery, at Bousies, Landrecies and Elincourt in Northern France and Solre-sur-Sambre in Belgium.

I have been unable to locate Frank Brady's CR1.
    I have a copy of Frank's British Merchant Seaman C.R.10 Identity Certificate, Number is 848129 showing his rating as Cooks Mate.

On 2 January 1920 he married my grandmother, Matilda Purchase (daughter of a travelling showman), at Whitechapel Register Office. At the time he is described as a Ship's Cook of 24 Thrawl Street in E London and his father, also Frank Brady, is listed as a deceased Stevedore.

On 21 May 1920 my father Francis Thomas Brady was born to Frank and Matilda, at that time Frank is described as a Ship's Cook of 66 Brunswick Buildings, Aldgate.

On 10 March 1922, daughter Josephine Isabel Brady was born to Frank and Matilda, at that time Frank is described as a Ship's Cook of 210 Brunswick Buildings, Aldgate.

Sadly, on 4 January 1923, Josephine Isabel Brady died, aged 10 months from Gastro Enteritis, a complication of malnutrition. Frank is once again listed as a Ship's Cook of 66 Brunswick Buildings, Aldgate on her death certificate.

I have a copy of his CR2, date of engagement 17 January 1924, Dis A Number: 1018178. Rank or Rating MR Std, Ship 140568 'Rhode Island'. On the reverse there is a list of Frank Brady's ships as follows:

146553 (SS London Mariner) 17 Feb 1923
    145984 (SS Daytonian) 4 Sep 1924
    145970 (RMS Ausonia II) 7 May 1925
    147307 (RMS Ascania) 25 Jun 1925
    147315 (SS Alaunia) 27 Jul 1928
    145970 (RMS Ausonia II) 28 Sep 1928
    150187 (SS Jervis Bay) 21 Dec 1928
    147307 (RMS Ascania) 12 Sep 1929
    145943 (RMS Lancastria) 4 Dec 1929 - [Incidentally, my father, RAF airman Francis Thomas Brady was due to be evacuated from St Nazaire aboard this ship on 17 Jun 1940 - but was turned away because she was full. A stroke of luck, as she was sunk during an air raid shortly thereafter.]
    145970 (RMS Ausonia II) 1 May 1930
    141866 (SS Ormonde) 24 Mar 1931.

On 3 Jun 1932, a new CR 2 with Frank Brady's Dis A number 1018178 was issued, when he was again engaged as Asst Cook onboard 145970 (RMS Ausonia II).

On 13 August 1934, Frank collapsed and died of a heart attack, aged 48. At the time he was living in a caravan at Harris' Yard, Park Avenue, East Ham. The British Army provided a gun carriage to carry his coffin at his funeral.

Unfortunately, Frank's widow, Matilda Brady and all our family photos and records were destroyed when her home in East London was destroyed by a V2 missile on 2 Feb 1945.

I assume the dates on Franks CR 2 are Discharge dates, is this correct?

My main effort is directed towards trying to identify who my grandfather Frank Brady's parents were. Currently, all I know is his father, my Great Grandfather, was British, also named Frank Brady, that he died before 2 Jan 1920 and he was previously employed as a Stevedore. If anyone on here can discover anything more about my grandfather Frank and his 48 year existence I would be most grateful.

Kind regards to all,

Nick Brady.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Trying to discover more about merchant seaman Frank Brady - my granddad

Hello Nick
    To answer one of the questions
    Re Your Quote
    I assume the dates on Franks CR 2 are Discharge dates, is this correct?

No that date is the date of Engagement on each Ship.
    Cheers

As for all the other info, i see that you have a complete Record, so there is no more to delve into as i see it?
    Only thing is now to possibly find as you ask the Parents of his!
    Will look into it if i can
    Thanks for the Posting!

The CR1 and CR2 Cards were put together in a new Series at some stage to form the combined CRS10 .
    Earlier Seaman had CR10 Cards and would be held at Southampton Maritime Archives . UK.

I see as you posted that there is still a CR2 , but the CR1 would be combined with CRS10.

I have not opened the File as you already have all the info therin!
    Cheers

Last edited by Doc Vernon; 30th December 2023 at 05:50 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

3. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Trying to discover more about merchant seaman Frank Brady - my granddad

Hello Doc,

Thank you very much for your speedy and helpful reply. My granddad seems to have come from a poor background, so I assume he must have been working in the docks or onboard ships from about the age of 14, or perhaps younger.

I have really struggled to identify his parents. There were several Frank or Francis Bradys born around Hull in 1886 +/- a few years, but the ones I've found died in childhood. As Brady is my name, I would dearly like to find out more about my family's origins. If you could shed any light on Frank's parentage, I would be sincerely grateful.

Cheers,
    Nick.

5. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Nick
    Yes its always a hard thing at times trying to trace Family, but i will endeavour to assist where and when i can. So far i too have found a few of that name but not the ones you want, think some are possibly the ones you may have come across as well.
    The Search continues!
    Cheers

Have you tried the following site at all, if not it may be of some help ??
    Cheers

Discover your family history (accessible version) - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 30th December 2023 at 09:59 PM.

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks very much Doc,

Any help very much appreciated. By the way, my older brother Michael Stephen Brady unknowingly followed our grandfather's footsteps and became a ship's cook in the Merchant Navy. I believe he worked for Cunard aboard one or both of the Queens during the mid - late 1960's...

Happy New Year,
    Nick.

8. Likes Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is this perhaps his Seamans Pouch then ?
    Cheers

R835623 BRADY M S 30/04/1947 SWINDON | The National Archives

R697530

10. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Is this perhaps his Seamans Pouch then ?
    Cheers

R835623 BRADY M S 30/04/1947 SWINDON | The National Archives
    Yes indeed Doc, this is my older brother Michael