Thread: Merchant Navy Newbie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Merchant Navy Newbie

Hello All,

My name is Matt, 27 years old, and I am new to the Merchant Navy. I am due to start Deck Cadet Training/Study in February 2024 at Fleetwood. I just wanted to introduce myself and ask if anyone has any general advice for training, life at sea etc? I am looking forward to starting!

Best Wishes

2. Thanks j.sabourn, cappy, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Merchant Navy Newbie

Most on here Matt would have been at least 10 years younger than 27 on starting by the age of 27 I was sailing as mate with a masters certificate. So all my earlier years would probably be different than what you will experience today. However saying that, like all good tradesman I would suggest you learn all the dark secrets of the ships you serve on , you can’t tell people what to do unless you have done them yourself, this will entail doing every -hitty job going with a smile on your face you will either love it or hate it. A ship is a big equalizer of men, and today women also. Best of luck. Cheers JS
    R575129

4. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#2. Addittion to this post there will be 72 years difference between your starting time and mine 1952 and 2024. There has been a lot of water under the bridge in the meantime.Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 8th December 2023 at 06:27 AM.
    R575129

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, N/A, Graham Payne, thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hopefully some of the youngsters in their 40's/50's on here will respond to you and give an inkling of present day conditions and what to expect, to most of us old codgers who sailed with just the aid of a sextant and magnetic compass and an echo sounder (if it worked) going onto today's bridge would be like going on Starship Enterprise.

As John said, don't be afraid to get your hands dirty, embrace it and you will love it, there are somethings that can only be experienced at sea, nothing beats a 360 degree vista of a starlit night and the green phosphorous of the sea as your vessel disturbs the water during her passage, or the green flash as the sun sets over the horizon on a clear calm light (if your lucky), these make up for all the bad weather and the stupid questions you will invariably be asked by some passengers, if going on a passenger vessel.

I first went to sea at aged 13, cannot imagine what it would be like starting at 27 when you've already lived a life, good luck in your endeavours

8. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Marian Gray Guest

A warm welcome to the site Matt, you would benefit greatly listening and learning from John and Ivan, two of many fine stalwarts of this site with years of experience each and Gentlemen to boot. Lots to read on here and enjoy whilst waiting for others to respond. As said, hard work, commitment and loyalty in any position will stand you in good stead in starting this new career and all that it will entail. Please keep us posted as members will enjoy hearing of your adventures. My very best wishes to you.

10. Thanks j.sabourn, Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Matt
    Firstly, always remember one hand for you the other for the ship
    It may be that you are the only native english speaking person onboard, try and learn some basic phrases of those onboard, ( by the time I had completed my first trip to sea with Spanish ratings I could hold my own in conversation with them)
    It could be that some of your fellow shipmates are of a different culture or religion to you, respect their culture or religion and broaden your mind learning the basics of their beliefs.
    Never be afraid to ask questions about anything and everything
    Follow the training manual you will be given
    Don't expect to spend days in the ports you visit, those days are long gone.
    Above all despite what some say it can still give you a very rewarding career that teaches you self reliance, the ability to make decisions based on facts not on supposition.
    Rgds
    J.A

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post