Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Seeking Information on Returning to UK

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Seeking Information on Returning to UK

Hey there, Girls and Boys!

I hope you're all doing well. Just wanted to share a bit about my life journey so far, especially now that I've hit the ripe old age of 79. I've been blessed with good health, and I credit it to my regular exercise routine and steering clear of any addictions. No tattoos for me either – I've always kept things pretty straightforward.

My journey began in the Merchant Navy, and later, after a rather unfortunate accident in the British Navy, I found myself heading through the Board of Trade doors. It was a fateful turn that led me to kick-start my oceanic adventures, signing on at the P & O offices. From there, I sailed on numerous ships, crisscrossing the globe until, one day, I met my American wife in 1979. It was a serendipitous encounter that changed the course of my life.

For a while, I called Cairns in Northern Australia home, and during my time there, I ventured into the Atherton Tablelands, searching for gold. There's just something about the thrill of prospecting that keeps the adventurer in me alive. I even got an invitation from a young lady who was excavating Mayan ruins in Belize, Central America – talk about a unique experience!

In 1986, I made the move to become an American citizen and ended up working on the Tiger Project for the US Government. Later, I settled in Santa Cruz, California, and embarked on a journey through the world of academia. I studied American History at Cabrillo College and even dabbled in a bit of law, completing a compressed Law degree at Watterson College in the San Fernando Valley.

My first wife, whom I met on the "Island Princess" (yes, that very one from the TV series "The Love Boat"), was from an affluent real estate family. Life was good until her daughter faced challenges with drug addiction. It was a tough period, but we've moved on and still maintain a friendly relationship.

Now, I find myself at the brink of what I like to call my "last adventure." I'm seeking information about returning to the United Kingdom after five decades. My passports have long since expired, and I'm curious about what immigration might have in store for me and my new American wife.

And there's one more thing I'm excited about – my book has been accepted by Amazon! I'm holding off on revealing the title for now, but I can tell you it's got the potential to be quite a success in Commonwealth countries and the United States. What makes it unique? Well, it's designed to help folks make a substantial income, and the beauty is that the content remains relevant indefinitely.

My heart's set on finding a home or apartment on the stunning Cornish coast, where I can settle down for my golden years. I envision myself sitting on the wild, untamed beaches, running around with my trusty metal detector, and keeping the spirit of adventure alive. Back in my Queensland days, I even found gold on the Atherton Tablelands and bought a Land Rover with the proceeds.

I also had a small company in the US called "Maps of the Past." We specialized in selling historical digital maps, but alas, the challenges of recent times, including the pandemic, took a toll on the business.

So, here I am, contemplating a return to my birthplace, seeking advice from fellow senior seafarers on what to expect. I've grown weary of American politics and the rising crime rates in big cities. I still have family, including my recently-married sister (after 28 years), though sadly, my Mum and Dad won't be there to greet us.

I've kept my National Health card, and I've paid taxes in England for decades, so I hope that eases my transition back home. And don't get me started on the paperwork and logistics involved in renting a property and sorting through all our possessions!

Any fellow expatriates out there with advice or stories to share? I'm all ears and eager to hear from those who've walked a similar path. Cheers to new adventures!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Seeking Information on Returning to UK

Hi Dave
    Welcome to the site. Living in Aus I can't advise you, but no doubt some of the lads? on site will be able to. With the influx of thousands new people arriving in the UK weekly, I can't see to much trouble for one more.
    Cheers Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

3. Likes happy daze john in oz, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1 Don’t have any Spanish blood in you apart from the vino do you Dave ? As they reckon the Cornish folk are cross pollinated with the survivors of the Spanish Armada who managed to make it ashore . Even today some Cornish families have that sense of unreality about them . Best people to approach for info. Would be the NHI to see how you stand pension wise even just email them. I always did when going back to visit and got my pension upgraded to what it should be the time I was there. You won’t be going back to what you remember of Punch and Judy on the beach . Maybe plenty of Punch due to the illegals , that old saying there’s no show without Punch is rapidly becoming a good description of the uk . Anyhow best of luck on your sitting on the beach trousers rolled up and handkerchief on your head as protection against climate change. There are plenty of worse places in the world. Cheers JS.
    R575129

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On second thoughts Dave, you could go to France get a rubber dinghy off the French Govt and just land on any beach and you'll be home.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well mate, we go back to visit the wife's family about every two years or so.

I find it hard to understand the language, very few now speak English, cost are over the moon, but by that I mean high, too bloody high.
    The south coast may be very good, but after over 40 years here in Oz I know where I am well off.

But good luck with your quest, hope the Pension people treat you fairly.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's a wonderful place to live these days Dave, especially if you've been a world traveller. Don't worry about all the old UK customs and traditions that usually created that urge to migrate away to foreign lands, they don't exist any more. There are so many different cultures here, you'll have a bit of a job deciding where you'll fit in, but the choice is yours to make.
    You'll find the old English language has been replaced with so many wonderful languages, but there's always an interpreter to be had, especially in places like hospitals and other establishments. You may find health care a bit strange if you manage to get any, due to the NHS being a bit busy at times.
    It's nice to hear of someone with a desire to get back to the UK, most traditional Brits here are usually harping on about getting out.
    Anyway, good luck with your endeavours and I wish you well.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Forget about any memories you may have about the UK and an idyllic childhood, those days are long gone, I'm a wee bit older than you and have also lived abroad and mixed with people who have spent 25/30 years out of the country and think they are retiring to the country they once knew, they were sorely disillusioned.

Yes this is still a nice place to live and I wouldn't choose anywhere else, but like the rest of the world it has and is still changing, with rising crime rates (thankfully mostly gunless), failing NHS Services (mis-management) failing public services again mismanagement of finances, Londoners complain about London transport but they don't know how lucky they are.

Cornwall and Devon are nice places to live but we have our infrastructure problems, don't expect to get from A to B quickly anywhere in the region.

Come with an open mind and not memories and you will be okay

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    On second thoughts Dave, you could go to France get a rubber dinghy off the French Govt and just land on any beach and you'll be home.
    Des
    he would get a lift halfway over, after the French safely esorted him out of their waters.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We watch Escape to the Country about three times a week, and I still envy not the houses but the gardens, such lovely green lawns and beautiful flowers, I look out of the window and see dried out grass some shrub struggling to survive, the I go out to my covered garden seat and sigh in the sunshine that I know is there for the day.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A big thanks to everybody for replying to my correspondence. I am hoping my Handbook, that's in the Amazon publishers, makes a killing. One friend of mine stashed 3 million dollars in the British Cayman Islands, and removed himself from America to North Wales. My first win using my technique, brought in $1500 (not Much) then my second try I send my Close friend Carlo to Las Vegas, Nevada and we shared $14.000. The next win, I sent Carlo to Madrid, Spain and each of us received $40.000. My last go, I messed up, otherwise we would have shared $186.000. It's good in any Commonwealth and may around the rest of the world.

So anyway, as daft as it seems I am seeking a lady to be my wife, as I hate this loneliness. I've never felt this angry and frustrated in my entire life. I've reached my breaking point. One way or another, I'm heading back to my birthplace, the United Kingdom. You know, that old saying holds true: "It's no good crying over spilled milk." I fell head over heels in love with an American woman who was open to living in England. At that time, I had a small house in 'Hurstpierpoint,' just about 5 miles away from Brighton, a charming seaside town. So, I took the plunge and immigrated to America. It took me a good six years before I finally obtained my citizenship.

My marriage was a joyful chapter in my life, lasting for 21 years, until her daughter came to live with us, bringing along her drugs and a boyfriend. Most folks who know me can attest that I've always steered clear of street drugs, instead putting my faith in holistic remedies from my research. I've kept my living space impeccably clean and tidy, embracing the life of a single man. I've never smoked or drank, while my ex would often sip wine. We still maintain a connection and offer each other suggestions when it comes to her medical needs.

But lately, I've grown exasperated with myself. I should've stayed in the P & O cruise ship fleet. So many years have gone to waste, and I should never have left the sea. But it's too late for regrets now. My last hope lies in the book I'm working on, a guide to making money that stands the test of time.

I spent three years in Cairns, Queensland, Australia, and ended up in a coma in Cairns Hospital. I couldn't wait to sign up on a German ship and bid farewell to the venomous insects on my way back to my mother's house near London. Regrettably, it was years later at West Hollywood Hospital in Los Angeles that I was diagnosed with PTSD. So, I decided to give marriage another shot, hoping it wouldn't be as controlling, but it turned out to be equally challenging.

I'm fed up with being told what to do. Over here Television bombards us with ads, especially those relentless political campaigns begging for donations from both parties. No, I don't care for electric stoves or electric cars, especially when they're funding the Chinese Communists with billions of dollars for electric battery components. I prefer my good old gas stove, although I must admit I'm not much of a cook.

I have no intentions of surrendering to an authoritarian administration that claims to represent the entire population. Corruption seems to be rampant at all levels, and the rise in crime is alarming. It's become unsafe in many cities and large towns, and it's disheartening to see how veterans are treated. It's hard to fathom that these brave men and women are being displaced by illegal immigrants, and all of this while our President has invited over 6 million people into America. Let's not forget the countless others who've managed to evade processing. And who foots the bill for all of this? You guessed it, the taxpayers, even though America is grappling with a staggering 62 trillion-dollar debt.

I've dedicated a significant portion of my time to researching and studying the historical weather patterns of Britain. I'm sorry, but I'm not a believer in "Climate Change." The Earth has undergone countless transformations over billions of years, and I hold a similar skepticism towards the "Coronavirus." I took two shots when it first emerged, but that's where I drew the line. Too many people have lost their lives, and while I may not have contracted it, I personally knew two young individuals who succumbed to the virus.

People should have the freedom to chase their dreams, and that's what the US Constitution proclaims. But the current state of crime and governance in this country makes me sick to my stomach, and I want out. My book is currently with the publisher, and my goal now is to find a peaceful life by the Celtic sea. I yearn for a simple life, although I must admit that St. Ives has transformed into a bustling entertainment and holiday destination. Nevertheless, a bit further down the coast could be a tranquil spot to spend the rest of our days. Finding a loving partner in marriage is my current aspiration, whether it happens today, tomorrow, or early next year.

I have my English pension and Merchant Navy, which also includes the Aussie. My sister still lives near London and her five children have done well and more kids in the family I have never seen.

To all, respectfully David.

13. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast