Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: MN Cap Badges

Quote Originally Posted by saintlinesailor View Post
    Attachment 36448

This is the badge....

Ah! Now that i see the Badge i do recall seeing this somewhere before! I will have to sit and think where. Thanks for Posting the Pic.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Think maybe they would elect for a buffalo in place of a dragon . The buffs are not so secretive as the Masons. People who don’t know better call them the poor man’s masons, this is not so , they are another charitable organisation with deep seated roots and some are members of both organisations . Cheers JS
    R575129

3. Thanks David John thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello again James,I eventually managed to get the cap badge picture to Doc Vernon ,who has kindly put it on this site.
    I can categoricaly say that it is not BUFFS. (RAOB..Royal Antideluvian Of Buffaloes).I have been a Roll of Honour Member for almost 30 years. I am very impressed with all the input so far. You will notice that I am using my name now instead of
    ''saintlinesailor''

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good on you David on two incidents , one on using your correct name and two on being a member of a very highly regarded Order. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good morning to you all
    I think I have managed to unearth a few facts about the cap badge I queried. Aparently these badges were
    commisioned by a Capt Donovan,beleived to be from Cork area of Ireland.He was the first Master of a research
    vessel PRINCE MADOG for Bangor University School of Ocean Sciences,built by Ramsey shipping and engineering ,and delivered in 1968. She was de commisioned in 2001. Another vessel of the same name is now in service with the University and has the Welsh dragon as shown on both sides of the bridge housing.According to Welsh legend ,MADOG was one of the sons of Owain Prince of Gwynedd (North Wales) who on the death of his father in 1170, Madog sailed with a shipload of companions on a Westerly course in is reputed to have reached America , which led to the belief that somewhere in North America, existed a tribe of White Indians who spoke Welsh fluently ?? Supposedly by the inter marriage of those Welsh seafarers with the indigineous inhabitants.....(As we have in Patagonia today ?? ) Sadly there appears to be no historical proof of Madogs existence ,but a Medieval poem refers to Madog Ap Gwynedd as a sailor and quite probably the Welsh Tudors used the story for propaganda purposes to challenge the Spanish claims to the New World..Fact or Fiction ? Who knows.

8. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Additional to my last.....another three badges ,all in pristene condition ,still in their cellophane wraps have
    "come to light " one has been given to the University ,one has been retained by Capt Gareth Ellis ,who has just
    retired as Master of Prince Madog and the other one is still afloat waiting for a worthy owner.

10. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Bill Morrison liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

12. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, David John thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks as if she in the Menai Straits. She was commisioned by Bangor University and is managed by O. S.Energy

The Dragon is perhaps the insignia for the School of Ocean sciences which forms part of the Bangor University Campus?

Just a bit of folklore about Prince Madog

According to Welsh legend, Madog was one of the sons of Owain, Prince of Gwynedd (North Wales). On the death of his father in 1170, Madog is supposed to have set sail with a shipload of companions on a westward course. He is reputed to have reached America, left some of his party, returned to Wales for additional compatriots, and repeated the crossing of the Atlantic. As a result of this story the belief grew up that somewhere in North America there existed a tribe of white Indians who spoke perfect Welsh, produced supposedly by the inter-marriage of the original Welsh seafarers and indigenous inhabitants as in Patagonia today.

14. Thanks Doc Vernon, David John thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post

Just a bit of folklore about Prince Madog

According to Welsh legend, Madog was one of the sons of Owain, Prince of Gwynedd (North Wales). On the death of his father in 1170, Madog is supposed to have set sail with a shipload of companions on a westward course. He is reputed to have reached America, left some of his party, returned to Wales for additional compatriots, and repeated the crossing of the Atlantic. As a result of this story the belief grew up that somewhere in North America there existed a tribe of white Indians who spoke perfect Welsh, produced supposedly by the inter-marriage of the original Welsh seafarers and indigenous inhabitants as in Patagonia today.
    Seems I have read that somewhere before Hmmmm, yep thats it..... post #25

16. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes well spotted Ivan, apologies to #25 David John I did not see your post.

18. Thanks Ivan Cloherty, Doc Vernon, David John thanked for this post
    Likes David John liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast