Thread: Ex Houlders Radio Cadet and R/O Saying Hello!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ex Houlders Radio Cadet and R/O Saying Hello!

Afternoon all,

Just found this site and joined immediately.

Ex Houlders Radio Cadet 1974-77 at South Shields Marine and Tech College and at sea with Houlders 1977-1983

Wonder if anyone out there was on board with me at any time? I am trying to piece together a few of my trips as memory fading now...

Appreciate any messages and can enlighten further as to ships/dates etc.

Cheers,

David Casey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ex Houlders Radio Cadet and R/O Saying Hello!

Welcome David. Just hang in there someone on site might know you, some only come on intermittently. Enjoy the stories and memories.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Dave,
    I sailed with you on the Joule in 1982. I remember this as you were invited/ accepted and were supposed to come to my wedding after I left the ship. I was 2nd mate at the time. You were meant to be coming with Stevie Sayle from up your way, ( Newcastle area), and pick up Mick (doors) Egley , both engineers from South Yorks on the way. Think you three got side lined via the pub and never made it. Malcolm Hayden (3rd Engineer) from Plymouth he made the wedding.
    I then did my chief Mates ticket, went back to sea for a few trips with my wife and then decided to have a family so left in 86 to join the Police. Long retired now.
    Regards

Dusty Miller ex 2/0 Houlders..

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Derek.
    Welcome to the site, as I told Dave hang in there someone may remember him; and you did. good site this have had many old mate meet up
    Cheers Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi hello Dusty,

Haven't been on here for a while so surprised to see your reply - cheers.

Yes we were meant to go to your wedding and I picked up Steve Sayle from somewhere along the Tyne valley (Haydon Bridge?) on the Friday afternoon and drove to Micks home in Grimethorpe nr Barnsley. Mick had us "on the lash" in "The Stute" (Grimey Working Mens Club) before 7pm and got us to Cudworth Village Club for the "disco" - I met a young lady from Barnsley and went off with her to a night club in town and never made it back to Mick's house until Sunday afternoon..... We are still together after 40+ years and moved from Sunderland and live in West Yorkshire now.

Apologies to you and Mrs Dusty for not turning up. It was all my fault, sorry.

I left Houlders late 1983 and worked as Radio Tech at West Yorkshire Met Council then tried being a Sales Rep - rubbish at that. Did a years contract, 1993, working for the United Nations in former Yugoslavia as a Radio Engineer during the civil war there; interesting to say the least and very productive £££s wise. 11 years followed at the cable TV company(s) in Leeds/York/Harrogate before being made redundant as Senior Engineer in 2005. Three years at BT/Openreach leaving in2008 - then Leeds City Council as Comms Engineer working in Urban Traffic Management and Control before the early retirement route was waved in front of me (and many others) and it was a no brainer! Left 31 March 2021.

What date was your wedding on? 14th August?

As I said in my first post I'm trying to put together some of my trips, the Joule included. I joined 20 Feb 82 in Teesport and paid off in Teesport on 23rd June. Sorry if I'm going on a bit..
    I remember a few Teesport to/from Rafnes, Norway trips. They were usually in x3 trips charters. Might have been two lots of these. Also following ports;

Emden, Germany Remember Saturday afternoon up the road with 4th Eng surname Barnes from the North East (who fell down a spiral staircase in a pub) and who had his Mrs and young son with him.
    Flotta - night up the road in Kirkwall via a "jolly boat" laid on by the company...
    Felixstowe
    Milford Haven - few days here then at anchor then sent "Key West for orders" only to be turned round in the Atlantic to return to ??????
    Grangemouth
    Le Havre?

I can't remember any others. Would you happen to be able to shed any further light on the trip - don't remember where/when you joined/left? Only remenber you, Steve, Mick
    and Jim Boustead (Jnr / 5th Eng from Coxhoe, Co. Durham)

Cheers and all the best,

Dave Casey

7. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Dave,

If I have done it correctly I have sent a private message

Best wishes Dusty