Thread: Hello and SS Alexander Kennedy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hello and SS Alexander Kennedy

Hello Gentlemen,
    I have never served in the MN but my father William Hastings-Prosser did with the Cunard line including the Falklands war on the QE2, he did this while I was serving with the RAF bravely defending Scotland! However, I am after some information on his brother Piers (also know as Peter) Prosser a officer serving on the SS Alexander Kennedy torpedoed and sunk 22 Feb 1945 by the U1004 pff Cornwall.
    Family history has it it was his second or even third sinking. Could anyone please inform me of how l could find information on the other ships and where l could find a photo of the Alexander Kennedy?
    Thanks for any help in advance.
    Richard

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hello and SS Alexander Kennedy

Google steamship Alexander Kennedy, then open wrecksite. EU gives details of where sank etc.
    Vic
    R879855

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vic mcclymont View Post
    Google steamship Alexander Kennedy, then open wrecksite. EU gives details of where sank etc.
    Vic
    Thanks Vic for the information above, found the wreck site on Google maps. Any ideas on where to find a photo of his ship?

Cheers
    Richard

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Prosser View Post
    Hello Gentlemen,
    I have never served in the MN but my father William Hastings-Prosser did with the Cunard line including the Falklands war on the QE2, he did this while I was serving with the RAF bravely defending Scotland! However, I am after some information on his brother Piers (also know as Peter) Prosser a officer serving on the SS Alexander Kennedy torpedoed and sunk 22 Feb 1945 by the U1004 pff Cornwall.
    Family history has it it was his second or even third sinking. Could anyone please inform me of how l could find information on the other ships and where l could find a photo of the Alexander Kennedy?
    Thanks for any help in advance.
    Richard

Merchant Navy Awards: London Gazette 14 August 1945 (Correspondence on recipients can be... | The National Archives
    This Link at the National Archives gives the names of those killed on that Ship, so with that presume that Prosser survived!
    In that case you will need to try and get his Records .
    Another challenge for us here who do researching!
    Will see what i can come up with later.

Hard finding the Ship Photo of A Kennedy only a very small one at that Wrecksite!
    Cheers

alexanderk.jpg
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If there are records for P Prosser , they should be found within this Series at the NA Kew!
    Need to get there in Person which will be better or if not then apply online from this Link! CRS10 Records . Dont forget if applying online to ask for his Docs only, otherwise you will receive a huge lot of names you dont want!
    Cheers

Prodger A to Prowell J G | The National Archives

Reference: BT 382/1458
    Description: Prodger A to Prowell J G
    Date: 1941 Jan 01 - 1946 Dec 31
    Held by: The National Archives, Kew
    Former reference in its original department: 1432
    Legal status: Public Record(s)
    Closure status: Open Document, Open Description

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: Hello and SS Alexander Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Hard finding the Ship Photo of A Kennedy only a very small one at that Wrecksite!
    Cheers

alexanderk.jpg

I also could not find one Vernon.However,she had an identical sister,both have same scantlings (dimensions),and completed 2 months apart ,September and November 1932, at Burntisland SB Co. for the same company(Gas,Light & Coke Co.) She was the FERRANTI , and fared slightly better than her war hit sister ship Alexander Kennedy,despite being damaged in collision with the AMERICAN JURIST ( a United States Line Type 2 Victory ship),in the Thames in 6/55 and beached,before being broken up at Grays in 3/56.FERRANTI.jpg
    Last edited by Graham Shaw; 31st October 2022 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Detailing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Graham
    Not sure here as looking at both Pics they do not look alike to me ? The one you post looks like a Flat Iron Ship??
    If that is the Sister Ship to the one we are looking for, i did come across one like that called Sir Alexander Kennedy, but thought it was not correct!?? As it went on to serve for a few Years after 1945.
    Cheers

Screw Steamer SIR ALEXANDER KENNEDY built by Samuel Peter Austin & Son in 1946 for London Power Company Ltd. - Stephenson Clarke Ltd., London, Cargo

Good old Pic here of Ferranti looks like she is on Fire but is really not
    Cheers
    https://www.alamy.com/fire-ship!-clo...0&searchtype=0
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 31st October 2022 at 07:37 PM.

R697530

11. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Vernon,Re your query in #7. Both ships are identical flat irons,sister-ships as I mentioned in my post-your pic from Wrecksite (Alexander Kennedy) and mine from Scottish built Ships site (Ferranti).

For the record the replacement for the 1932 built and war lost Alexander Kennedy was the 1946 built Sir Alexander Kennedy,depicted below.Yes,A.K. had been knighted !
    SIR ALEXANDER KENNEDY built 1946.jpgThis is the 1946 replacement for the war lost Alexander Kennedy.She served until 1968 before scrapping.
    Last edited by Graham Shaw; 1st November 2022 at 05:05 PM.

13. Likes cappy, Peter Copley liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Gents for your input, I’ll get onto NA Kew for his MN record. The photos of his sister ships were very enlightening.
    Best regards
    Richard

15. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cargo ship Alexander Kennedy, 1,313grt, (London Power Co.) loaded a cargo of coal at Barry for Southend joined up with the 14 ship Convoy BTC-76, which sailed from Milford Haven on the 21st February 1945. The following day South-East of Falmouth the ship was torpedoed and sunk by U-1004 with the loss of one crewmember. The nineteen survivors were picked up by two other Merchant ships Eskwood and Gateshead and landed at Plymouth. Her Master was later awarded a Kings Commendation and Lloyds War Medal.

10 August 1945 Gazette Issue 37219, Supplement 4120 published 14 August 1945

Captain John William Johnson

Commendation - for brave conduct when their ships encountered enemy submarines, aircraft, ships or mines – when Master

Ungazetted

Captain John William Johnson

Lloyd’s War Medal for Bravery at Sea – when Master

Casualty commemorated Tower Hill Memorial Panel 5.

TAIT, Able Seaman, ALEXANDER, S.S. Alexander Kennedy (London). Merchant Navy. 22nd February 1945. Age 51.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

17. Thanks cappy, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Bill Morrison liked this post