Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: WW2 Tyne Colliers

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    . Cheers JS
    Think it was known as the NE coast Agreement. JS
    How this works today with the manning levels wouldn’t know.
    Probably not relevant today John, no more colliers, no coal fired powered stations, the Red Ensign has all but disappeared from our coastal waters, most coastal trade being carried under the Dutch, German, Panamanian and flags of numerous obscure countries who don't even have a coastline of their own. The minorities have got their way and we are reliant on others for many things

2. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon, cappy, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Colin McClelland, Bill Morrison liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That’s very sad Ivan. I’m pleased that I lived in the era I did. Wealth was nice but it wasn’t the end of the world. People took pride in their work , crime was minuscule to what it is today . People knew their place in the scheme of things and if wanted to advance themselves those chances were opening up. A man supported his wife and family and it was degrading to seek handouts at the dole office. Morals in general were much higher than today and discipline was accepted as due and proper. We are survivors from a past age . JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was only on the North East coast for around six months, on the Corefleet and the Leadsman, but I loved it, it was a great time sailing into those small ports , the crews were fabulous, no one tried to pull fast ones, all had their home ports and no one minded doing a bit extra for them to get off, whi hi man.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4