Thread: Ml577

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Ml577

I'm trying to find information on ML577, built by Fairmiles. The father of a relative of my wife is believed to have served on her although he was in the army/marines/commandos!. I can find info on many other ML's but not this one. I know that some were used by allied navy's but even those do not have this one.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ml577

HMS ML 577 (ML 577)

Motor Launch of the Fairmile B class

Navy The Royal Navy
    Type Motor Launch
    Class Fairmile B
    Pennant ML 577
    Built by Johnson & Jago (Leigh on Sea, England, U.K.)
    Ordered 18 May 1942
    Laid down
    Launched
    Commissioned 5 Mar 1943
    End service
    History Sold on 20 July 1956

the Fairmile was considered a “small” boat and were actually called the “Little Ships.” The eighty that were built in Canada varied slightly from the British Admiralty design and were 112-feet LOA on a relatively narrow 17-foot beam with a draft of 4-feet, 9-inches. They were built in Britain for the Royal Navy by Fairmile Marine, thus acquiring their name.

Records seem to vary, but the first batch of sixty were powered by twin 650 horsepower Hall Scott gasoline engines providing a top speed of about 23 MPH. Later models were outfitted with 850 horsepower Sterling Admiral engines thus increasing the top speed to about 25 MPH, a speed considered very fast in those days for a vessel of that size. Range was just under 2,000 miles at a cruising speed of about 10 MPH. It is possible that one Fairmile, ML 095 built in Midland, Ontario was fitted with twin V-12 supercharged Rolls Royce Merlin engines giving it a top speed of around 30 MPH

HM motor launches - YouTube

Not the one you want but just for interest sake.

Epic of the Motor Launches - Shipping Wonders of the World
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 24th August 2022 at 08:25 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for general information Doc, I'll send to wife's relative, however I would like to have more specific info on ML577 they know it exists as they have a "picky" of it. They have tried many different sites but are unable to find this particular one, got any idea.

5. Likes Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Stuart
    It does Exist for sure (Well Did) as i recall reading about it somewhere, cant find the Site any longer, but will look again in case, if i do find anything wll post here!
    Cheers

The first motor launches entered service in the First World War. These were five hundred and eighty 80-foot-long (24 m) vessels built by the US Elco company for the Admiralty, receiving the numbers ML-1 to ML-580. They served with the Royal Navy between 1916 and the end of the war, defending the British coast from German submarines.

HMS ML 577 (ML 577) of the Royal Navy - British Motor Launch of the Fairmile B class - Allied Warships of WWII - uboat.net You may already have this info, there are no Pics though!?
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 7th September 2022 at 08:18 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

7. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Over 60 years ago, we had a book at home called 'Battle of the Narrow Seas' by I think Peter Scott. Fabulous pictures an narrative from a Captains point of view.

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post