Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Harmattan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The Harmattan

Doc I still have the Pdf which I received from RLT if you want it but you would to guide me in how to send it. Rgds Den R708736

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Denis but i too have that File , just sent it Yesterday to Graham as well
    Kind Offer
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

4. Thanks Red Lead Ted thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just read the original post from Barbara, Yes indeed i was aboard the M.V.Eucadia we were at the so called safe anchorage point 8 miles of the coast of Karachi and yes 9th December 1971 the Harmattan was struck by what the Indian Admiralty said was a stray missile. I hope she gets the PDF File from you Vernon it makes for a very good read indeed
    Attached Images Attached Images
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for posting! I found some pdf's of the Captains report and saw my dad's name mentioned.
    My sister, who I am sadly estranged from, has all the photographs of the damaged Harmattan and there was also a report among them written by dad.
    I did of course read it, found it very distressing, even though written in a factual context. Then of course how could it be anything else.
    There were things may mam told me about, which were of a sensitive nature and will remain unsaid.

Most of what I gleaned about events came via my mam as dad never spoke about it to us. I do know it affected him deeply. The cook who was killed only lived a couple of streets away.
    I can remember meeting dad at Newcastle airport, surprised to see him wearing white trousers and sandals .... he NEVER wore sandals, but needed them as his feet were cut.

In a strange way it's good to know some people remember, December will always be a month when this comes to mind. Thouh it's been on my mind recently as I think I said in first post.
    Thank you everyone ... If I find anything in my stash of pics in the loft, I'll update.
    Best wishes!
    Last edited by Barbara Paterson; 3rd August 2022 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Clarity.

7. Thanks Red Lead Ted, Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Barbara, It was a harrowing time for both ships as there were only two British Merchant ships in the bay of Bengal at the time, I have found 3 crew men from the Harmattan to date Robin Marsh radio officer {Deceased } The fourth Engineers brother {Deceased } And now your father, The missile went straight into the Engineers accommodation situated on her boat deck, Killing a few of the crew without them knowing it. It wasn't only the Harmattan that was hit there were 4 ships 3 of them sunk one from the USA, one Russian, And one Greek if my memory serves me right. Captain Houston of the Harmattan received an MBE For the tenacity he showed trying to take back command of the ship. I can remember it like yesterday as she was towed ashore straight past us in Karachi to be broken up in Pakistan. The Indian navy herald it like no other raid during any conflict, And its no coincidence that Navy day in India is celebrated every year on the 9th of December. Regards and good health to you Terry. R.I.P. Them all.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If I'm not mistaken, the Harmattan was the sister ship to my old ship Harpalican. I remembered both were owned by Harrisons of London( funnel 1 thick & 2 lean stripes) i was on the maiden voyage, out of Blyth, of 10 months round the world trip as far as Tokyo in 1958-59

10. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Overton View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the Harmattan was the sister ship to my old ship Harpalican. I remembered both were owned by Harrisons of London( funnel 1 thick & 2 lean stripes) i was on the maiden voyage, out of Blyth, of 10 months round the world trip as far as Tokyo in 1958-59
    Was that not the Harpathian ?? Just asking!
    Cheers

R697530

12. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Paterson View Post
    Just joined and posted ... found this forum when looking for information about The Harmattan which was hit in Karachi Harbour in 1972. MY father was Chief Engineer at the time. My dad passed in 1992 and recently for some reason this tragic event has been on my mind. I'm not sure there will be anyone around now who remembers this, but who knows. Best wishes.
    For interest Barbara

The Indian Navy launched a second large-scale operation on the midnight of 8 and 9 December 1971. The operation, codenamed Operation Python, was commenced under the command of Chief of Naval Staff of the Indian Navy Admiral S.M. Nanda.[59] The INS Vinash, a missile boat, and two multipurpose frigates, INS Talwar and INS Trishul participated in the operation. The attack squadron approached Karachi and fired four missiles. During the raid, the Panamanian vessel Gulf Star and the British ship SS Harmattan were sunk and Pakistan Navy's Fleet Tanker PNS Dacca received heavy damage.[ More than 50% of Karachi's total fuel reserves were destroyed in the attack

Last edited by Doc Vernon; 18th August 2022 at 02:15 AM.

R697530

14. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

# 18 Re the photo. That is an 'older' HARMATTAN ,1930-1952

This is the m.v.HARMATTAN 1959-1972 ,subject of the thread-she was the vessel referred to in the Indo-Pakistan theatre of war 70-71.

Photo showing her on trials as new,courtesy Clydeships Database.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2