Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Steve Blackmore - Shell Tankers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Steve Blackmore - Shell Tankers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Possibly not the one i am thinking of then, as this one was in the City, but not too far from the Docks! Small joint though and very dark. Had to watch your Pockets there LOL.
    Cheers

must say doc them senoritas down there were the cream of the crop ....and a senora was a learning curve ...but i still reckon osaka ...happy palace bar was the best ...oh happy days .....all gone down there now according to kong who was there a few years ago ....wonder how he is now ....R683532

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes as you say cappy many happy days we have had, never to be forgotten. Them Gals were terrific! But then so were so many other places ! LOL

Have not again heard from Capt. and yes i wonder how the poor Guy is going! Must be killing him not to be able to get around, he was always so agile in life!

I did send an Email cappy about a Week back, but did not get a reply, so will have to hope that he may Pop in here at some stage.
    Oh dear we are all geting old now, and time getting nearer fir the Long Sleep!
    Thats Life!!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

4. Likes cappy, Graham Shaw liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Yes as you say cappy many happy days we have had, never to be forgotten. Them Gals were terrific! But then so were so many other places ! LOL

Have not again heard from Capt. and yes i wonder how the poor Guy is going! Must be killing him not to be able to get around, he was always so agile in life!

I did send an Email cappy about a Week back, but did not get a reply, so will have to hope that he may Pop in here at some stage.
    Oh dear we are all geting old now, and time getting nearer fir the Long Sleep!
    Thats Life!!
    Thats true doc but we who sailed in those times never missed out on much of lifes pleasures and what memories we have are worth more than gold in our old age R683532

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Believe there was a Tanker Joes in BA , but was never in , preferred the posher end of town 25 De Mayo ? JS
    R575129

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Believe there was a Tanker Joes in BA , but was never in , preferred the posher end of town 25 De Mayo ? JS
    Aye john you could get a better dose of clap on the 25 de mayo .....lol cappy R683532

10. Likes j.sabourn, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It was also a choice of which prison cells you preferred before sweeping the streets next morning. Tanker Joes in the Maritime area and it was the Marinairos , who looked like jolly jacks but weren’t. Or the Vigilantes who looked like the Gestapo and were. Buenos Aires was at one time the cleanest city in South America courtesy of merchant seamen. JS
    R575129

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, cappy, Graham Shaw liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Super pics, proper looking ships. Didn’t know Shell ran down to BA. Took over from BP, Gulf to La Plata (Eva Peron) in Border tankers. BP used their T2,s on that run. Not much at La Plata, single hose discharge took ages. Caused a bit of a fuss when we burst the hose when it was called Eva Peron and sprayed all her picture posters on the quayside buildings with crude. Went to BA once for a look round, remember very wide roads, not much drinking as only apprentice, no money. Happy days.

14. Thanks Graham Shaw thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, N/A, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#18 Once again a query John which may of previously asked , did you know a Cyril Scott , believe ex Shell tankers , when at Nellists , would of been in 1957. ? When up for 2 mate ? JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It’s a long and complicated story,but I started on 2nd Mates in Hull, cos parents lived there then. Spent most of the time boozing and generally enjoying life. Girl friend, future wife, lived in Gosforth, so had a well travelled love life. Went to Boulevard in Hull, passed orals, failed writtens. Ran out of time and money and went back to sea. Came back to Newcastle and lived at girl friends house and went to Nellists. Orals ran out but sat again with writtens in Newcastle and passed. Amazing atmosphere at Nellists, a dump of a house but got results, passed on 6th July 1959 and got married 15 th August. Memories of Nellists seem to be confined to Saturday afternoons after signals spent in the Cumberland Arms on Newgate St. opposite the Empire where we all seemed to finish up, wonder why? What a waste of time but how we enjoyed ourselves.

17. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Doc Vernon, j.sabourn, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#20. We are a couple of years out of kilter then. I was up for 2 mate in 1957 the same as Ci Scott and another one when his name comes back to me who also lived in South Gosforth at his mothers , we were always in trouble as regards money due probably to the lack of it. Every Friday dole day it was Fenwicks and then the pub just down the way from the Empire rolling up to school in the early forenoon and being grabbed by Billy Nellist to make sure we still had his 1 pound school fee. As the dole was only 30/- it was hard going . Just before the dole stopped after 12 weeks we decided to put our papers in. Billy went berserk get them back out was the cry , you 3 are the worst I have ever seen and not ready yet. However as the 3 musketeers our minds. Were made up . As chance would have it we were the only 3 who got the written and orals in the one week , I even got the signals first bash. Billy went his ends saying there is no justice in this world. However when your broke its get there or bust. In 59/60 I was up at Nellists for Mate and in 1963 had to go to South Shields for Master as both Nellist brothers were dead. No atmosphere at SS they tried to educate you and keep you there up to a year , my financial limits were 12 weeks the length of the dole queue so just sat in the library going through old exam papers . When I left they didn’t even know I had been there . Cheers JS. Think the other musketeer was Leo McGowan from South Gosforth was out of that Tyne Tanker Company , forget their name now. Went after 2 mate to work for Swires of HK, I was supposed to have gone with him, I had just met the wife who worked in Myers again just opposite the Empire which was a Wholesale Dept. Don’t think she would of hung around for two years while I philandered in the Far East . Cheers JS
    PS after all that didn’t marry the same girl until 1962 , over 60 years ago now , incidentally her birthday is the same as your pass date the 15 August. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 7th July 2022 at 01:43 AM.
    R575129

19. Likes cappy, Denis O'Shea, N/A liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast