Thread: Elder Dempster & Paddy Hendersons

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Elder Dempster & Paddy Hendersons

Hello. I spent a few years [late 50's early 60's] with Elder Dempster & Paddy Hendersons as a Writer in Pursers Dept and latterly with P.Henderson as 2nd.Stwd
    Came ashore in 1962 and like many ex seamen flitted from one job to another. Had some great times and sailed with some great people. unfortunately at 81 years of age I've probably outlived most of them! However if there is anyone out there who remembers the "Oti" Shonga Kaladan Kalewa Kohima or Salween please get in touch it would be great to hear from you

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Elder Dempster & Paddy Hendersons

I sailed on the TARKWA in 1954, not a happy ship, glad to get off,never sailed with EDs again.
    Cheers
    Brian

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well David
    If this is your Pouch which i am sure it is then you are by far the nearest i have come to my Number which is R697530 , so you must have been very close to me in joining.

Your DOB too is very close, with mine in June of 1940.
    Cheers

Reference: BT 372/2152/74
    Description: R696659 LUCAS L D 30/11/1940 THURSO
    Date: 1913 - 1972
    Held by: The National Archives, Kew
    Former reference in its original department: R696659
    Legal status: Public Record(s)
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/C8487312
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#2 Brian one quite often hears of horror stories and sometimes one has recourse to be a part of such , but not too often one hopes. The manning of vessels one gets to know more when sailing as mate as have more contact workwise with people. I went mate in 1963 and was fortuanetley on mainly Running Agreements which with running in and out of the uk left plenty of room for replacements. Up until that time however the BSF were very selective and held the whip hand on who they sent to what ship, it was a well known fact if you had been a bad boy , you would get the ships that they considered had a bad reputation. By 1964 they were sending such people down to ships with their pool papers to see the mate or second engineer to choose , and as said in another post , I used to ignore the DRs and accept in any case. I knew from experience some of those DRs were not necessary in some cases , and even if they were, the seaman himself would not want another one , so for at least one trip he was going to be a good boy. There is nothing worse on a ship than a lot of dissent , and today the ships staff have a bit more control on this as long as the shore keeps their nose out of it. The first advances were made when the DR system was expunged , this stopped any misuse of. I am not against all changes at sea , just the ones I see that are detrimental to the industry as a whole. An unhappy ship due to personality’s should be nipped in the bud as soon as possible , if not possible, I too would leave it .Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On the TARKWA I was aloft on the mast table breaking out the Jumbo,.in PORT HARCOURT, NIGERIA,
    My hands were greasy from the wires and when climbing over the table to the mast ladder my hands slipped and I fell nearly 50 feet and landed between the two winches,
    I was covered in blood with two broken legs and a broken right arm.
    The Bosun shouting , "Don`t lie there, leap aloft again or you will lose your nerve"The Kroo Boys carried down the gangway and put on the back of a lorry and it took me to hospital,. I spent two days there and sent back when the ship was sailing up tp Lagos.
    We had an Alcoholic Doctor on board, the Mate asked him if I was fit to work on deck, he said "Yes nothing wrong with his left arm,"
    My legs and right arm were in Plaster, so I could not walk.

The Sailors carried me out on deck and sat down, and with a chipping hammer in my left hand I had to chip the deck,.Then the Monsoon rain came down and all hands would run to the mess room and I was left sat in torrential rain.
    So I was glad to get back to Liverpool and pay off.

t
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 14th October 2021 at 02:18 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    On the TARKWA I was aloft on the mast table breaking out the Jumbo,.in PORT HARCOURT, NIGERIA,

The Sailors carried me out on deck and sat down, and with a chipping hammer in my left hand I had to chip the deck,.Then the Monsoon rain came down and all hands would run to the mess room and I was left sat in torrential rain.
    So I was glad to get back to Liverpool and pay off.

t
    That was rather mean! they didn't even give you an aspirin.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 14th October 2021 at 09:08 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Had similar leaving Bombay Brian got a rusty nail in my foot which turned septic. couldn’t walk so they used to carry me on to the focsle to do all the lookouts during the hours of darkness and spent all the time sitting on the bollards and ringing the bells and shouting lights are bright and all’s well. Arriving back at Geraldton by this time it was starting to heal itself but was sent up to the hospital where the doctor put on his report fit to work, with the added comment he thought I was shirking. The doctor is not always right. JS. Had to change the spelling of septic as put it down as sceptic the first time , so must have already been thinking of that Mongrol of a doctor. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 15th October 2021 at 12:15 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#8 In 1989 the shipowners in the North Sea Lewis their maximum liability was 30,000 pounds for death. How do I know , because a friend of mine was drowned and left a wife and two kids to support , and unless it was on a piece of elastic would not have lasted long. Reading in newspapers about other deaths in the oil industry one reads of colossal sums of money paid out , all I can say is good if it is true . But being the doubting Thomas I am I take all media statements with a pinch of salt. You should have gone along with a private action to receive more if that’s what you wanted . Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here in the Western suburbs of Melbourne there was a doctor known as Doctor how long.
    Workers would come from all over to see him.
    When someone he had never seen before walked in he would ask them, 'How long for' and would write them a sick note.

If any of my staff ever came back with one from him they were shown the door.

Did hear he was struck off for unethical behavior.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Thanks Doc Vernon, j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Doc.Book was issued 22 Sep 1958.Thanks for the reply. Good to know there are still a few old timers around. take care and stay safe.

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Doc Vernon liked this post