Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hello

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hello

Hello,

I'm trying to find information about my father's service history during WW2, I think he served in the Merchant Navy but I am not 100% sure.

His name was also James McAlenan and he was born in Liverpool on 23 December 1922.

He rarely spoke about his time at sea but the few things he did mention were that 2 or 3 of the ships he served on were hit either by torpedo or bombs and that he was there when Vesuvius erupted in March 1944, so in or around the Bay of Naples.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

2. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hello

Hello
    At this early point there seems to be no Records for him, but this could be for reasons ? Lost Records etc! Possible misspelt Surname on Entering Service , this happened quite a lot , Human Error!
    So for now nothing but will keep looking!
    If anything is found will post!
    Is there any other info you may have ??
    Cheers

https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...BT+391&_hb=tna

Just also wondering if he was possibly Royal Navy! This Ship was in the place you mention at the time as well, and Torpedoed, so may have been it??? All guesswork though

HMS Laforey (G99) - Wikipedia

Was his Mothers Maiden name Shepherd ??? If so he is registered as Born in 1923 not 1922.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 3rd October 2021 at 09:53 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to the site James .
    If the info is about the member will surely find it .
    Ron the batcave

5. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Marian
    Thanks for that info , however i think that the Link you give for the CRS10 is not the correct one ! Did you get that from your Friend ! Think i know who! LOL
    Cheers

Think its the one prior to that

Maben J M to McAlindon W | The National Archives

If you look at the names you will see that it begins with Maben and goes through to McAlindon so will include the name McAlenan Where as the other Link will not include that Surname.

Another thing he could do is to Email the Southampton Archives (Maritime Section) and ask if that name is on File, they will tell him if it is! That way will know what to do!
    Cheers

Just trying to assist!
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 5th October 2021 at 12:04 AM.

R697530

7. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Doc,

Thank you for getting back to me. I had a look on the National Archives link you sent but no luck searching for "McAlenan" or the numerous alternative spellings I put in, I then searched using just his first name 3000+ hits but still no luck. I had look on https://uboat.net/allies/ searching the crew lists for HMS Laforey, unfortunately they only appear list the poor souls who died as Bob Burns. D.S.M. ( who was in the BBC program WW2 People's War (see Marians link below)) was also not listed.

My fathers mother's maiden was Shepherd, although his birth was not registered until the first quarter of 1923 he was born 23 December 1922. I can't find him on the 1939 register so he either at sea or his surname was misspelt again.

Thank you again for getting back to me. If I turn up anything new I'll let you know

jim

9. Likes Doc Vernon, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello James
    Yes seems to be elusive at this stage , but as said have you yet tried to send Email to Southampton Archives, and ask them if he has a File there, it could be in its Original State there?? Central index of Merchant Seamen (southampton.gov.uk)

city.archives@southampton.gov.uk

I am still looking but s far nothing but like you will advise if anything comes up.
    Cheers

R697530

11. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can you give a bit more info on your Father and his Mother please! Place of Births and DOB. First names this is just for research , so i may possibly be able to track down something
    Cheers

My fathers mother's maiden was Shepherd

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Marian,

thank you for your posts.

I looked on the uboat.net website, they only appear to list the men who lost their lives as neither my father or Bob Burns D.S.M. (the man from the BBC program) where listed.

I followed the link to National Archives but did not know how to progress, I'll email them for a bit of guidance.

I'm not sure if I have enough info to apply for RN records, at the moment I can only supply his name, date and place of birth but I'll give it a go.

He's not on the 1939 Register, the redacted records are for his siblings, two brothers and two sisters. He should have appeared between his mother (Margaret) and his brother (Thomas H), his date of birth being 23 December 1922.

The employment shown on his marriage certificate is a Bogie Driver but it wasn't at a colliery it was at a cable works (BICC).

Thank you for all your help, Marian. I feel a bit more confident now. Take care and stay safe

Jim

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Doc,

My father was born 22 December 1922. His mother, Margaret Shepherd, was born 23 November 1903 and his father, James, was born 18 January 1900. All were born in Liverpool.

The rest of the family are on the 1939 register at the same address, 282 Kings Drive. I can only assume that the surname has been misspelt or that he is not in the country.

Thanks

Jim

15. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast