Thread: Chris Dow saying Hello

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Chris Dow saying Hello

Hi My name is Chris. Hello to everyone. I am the son of Ron Dow, who was a radio operator on "The Lucellum" when she was bombed off the the North Wales coast, close to Bardsy Island, on 19th December 1941. Gladly dad survived that night, but the injuries he sustained resulted in him never going back to sea. I believe his leg injuries were caused when he had to jump overboard to escape the advancing fire ball coming at him from the ignited aviation fuel. I think he always considered himself fortunate, that having just finished a watch, he was walking next to the deck rail, on his way back to his bunk, when they were hit. Although he was no longer fit for service, he made a pretty good recovery and less than a year later, he was back behind a Morse Key working for Coastal Radio co-ordinating shipping. He mostly served at Seaforth Radio, Liverpool, but also did some time at Wick. He remained in the employ of the Post Office at Coastal Stations for around 10 years before becoming ordained as a priest which he continued doing for the rest of his working life. Right up until the day he died he had a Morse key and Transceiver which he used daily to keep in touch with people around the world. His first ship was HMT "Somersetshire", a training ship, I believe, which he joined in Sept 1938, out of Southampton. I think dad was affectionately always called Dicky Dow by his shipmates. I have been trying to find out how many crew would have been on the Lucellum on that fateful night in 1941.
    My Dads brother was also a 2nd Radio Officer on board the Australind when she was captured and sunk by the German Commercial Raider, Komet, in August 1941. He spent the next four years as a German POW, but that's another story. Any info on the Lucellum's ships complement would be really appreciated.
    Regards to all.
    Chris

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Chris Dow saying Hello

This is just one of the Movement Cards around that time . Actually doesnt show the Bombing date but shows something on Repairs etc.
    Cheers

There are about 9 Cards up till 1944.

Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to the site Chris.
    Enjoy as we do.
    Ron the batcave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tanker Lucellum, 9,425grt, (Astrakhan SS Co.) loaded with a cargo of petrol at Aruba for Swansea joined up with the 43 ship Convoy HX-163, which departed Halifax, Nova Scotia on the 3rd December 1941 and arrived at the Belfast Lough safely on the 19th December, where the ship acting as the Vice-Commodore ship joined the 9 ship Convoy BB-113 bound for Milford Haven. The same day in the Irish Sea off Bardsey Island the tanker was attacked by German bombers and struck by two bombs setting the ship on fire, killing five crewmembers and two DEMS gunners. Burning out of control the Master and six crewmembers managed to launch one boat, cutting the falls half way down letting the boat drop into the sea where they maneuvered through the burning sea picking up a further seventeen men. Thirty minutes later these men were rescued by a motor launch. An unknown French fishing boat was then witnessed steaming through the burning oil to rescue thirteen men trapped on the stern section, but before landing them at Holyhead one man died. The ship was eventually taken in tow to Holyhead where the body of one crewmember was also recovered and both returned home for burial. One other crewmember is recorded as dying in January 1945 and buried at Preston (New Hall Lane) Cemetery.

Tower Hill Memorial. Panel 66

FARLEY, Ordinary Seaman, JAMES JOSEPH, M.V. Lucellum (Liverpool). Merchant Navy. 19th December 1941. Age 21. Son of Joseph and Sarah Farley.

O'LOUGHLIN, Sailor, JOHN JOSEPH, M.V. Lucellum (Liverpool). Merchant Navy. 19th December 1941. Age 18.

MURRAY, Chief Officer, WILLIAM POTTER, M.V. Lucellum (Liverpool). Merchant Navy. 19th December 1941. Age 30. Son of James and Helen Murray; husband of Margaret Catherine Murray, of South Shields, Co. Durham.

ROWNTREE, Chief Engineer Officer, JOHN, M.V. Lucellum (Liverpool). Merchant Navy. 19th December 1941. Age 42. Son of John and Mary Rowntree; husband of Elsie Rowntree, of Sunderland, Co. Durham.

Buried Ashore

FISHER, Able Seaman, WILLIAM, M.V. Lucellum (Liverpool). Merchant Navy. 19th December 1941.

MORRELL, Fireman and Greaser, HAROLD WILLIAM, M.V. Lucellum (Liverpool). Merchant Navy. 21st January 1945. Age 21. Son of James H. Morrell and Violet L. Morrell, of Preston.

VELEN, Boatswain (Bosun), EDWIN, B E M, M.V. Lucellum (Liverpool). Merchant Navy. 19th December 1941. Age 46.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dow View Post
    My Dads brother was also a 2nd Radio Officer on board the Australind when she was captured and sunk by the German Commercial Raider, Komet, in August 1941. He spent the next four years as a German POW. Chris
    Passenger cargo ship Australind, 5,020grt, (Trinder Anderson & Co.) loaded with a general cargo including zinc concentrates and dried fruit at Adelaide had been sailing independently to the UK via Panama. On the 14th August 1941, 200 miles South of the Galapagos Islands the ship was sighted by the German raider Komet disguised as the Japanese Merchant ship Ryoko Maru and began shelling the Australind destroying the bridge with the first salvo and killing the ship’s Master and two Engineers and wounding several other crewmembers. With the ship now out of control, a verbal order was sent to the engine room to stop the engines and as the crew were preparing to abandon ship, a boarding party from the raider arrived and advised the ship’s crew they had twenty minutes to collect any personal belongings and in the meantime transferred the wounded back to the raider. The remaining crew were taken on board the raider and secured below. The Australind was then sunk by explosive charges in position 04’ 13S 91’ 03W. The following day one of the injured crewmembers died from his wounds and was committed to the deep. The remaining survivors were eventually landed in occupied Europe over three months after the sinking, along with other survivors from other sunken Merchant ships and were eventually interned at Milag Nord.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the details of the attack and rescue, I didn't know much about that, so it could have been the lifeboat and launch or the French fishing vessel that picked up my dad, whichever it must have been terrifying. I did know about the seven killed in the original attack though. He didn't speak about it again after he told me about the fireball coming at him. I didn't even know the name of the ship or where it all happened until I started to research it my self. amazingly I lived on the Llyn Peninsular North Wales for 28 years (after dad died) and spent many an hour looking out at Bardsey Island without ever knowing it was in those waters he had come so close to death.
    Thanks for the info
    Chris Dow

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dear Chris Dow
    Are you still living in Stockton? Bill Murray who you mention in your Lucellum entry was my father’s sister’ husband. Therefore my uncle. I’ve visited the Tower Hill Memorial. My father, Hugh Mason, was a captain with Moss from 1940 to his retirement in about 1972.
    Thanks for your entry
    David Mason

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by David Mason View Post
    Dear Chris Dow
    Are you still living in Stockton? Bill Murray who you mention in your Lucellum entry was my father’s sister’ husband. Therefore my uncle. I’ve visited the Tower Hill Memorial. My father, Hugh Mason, was a captain with Moss from 1940 to his retirement in about 1972.
    Thanks for your entry
    David Mason
    Chris is from Ledbury. It is me who lives in Stockton.

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post