Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Parents

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Parents

Females never had to do conscription if that is what you are saying , or I’m slow today by alternative females you mean ac/dc , definetley getting slow on the up take. By 1960 there had been quite a few wars all over the world , Malaya, Borneo, Palestine, Korea, Africa, Various other skirmishes too numerous to mention. Didn’t take long to finish the one to end all wars , to find others quick smart. Don’t know why they ever did away with National Service. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, had they not done away with it you could have ended up square bashing rather than knot tying.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

3. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#12 Would not have particularly bothered me. My first choice from about the age of 12 was the R.N. On. Leaving school at 15 my father refused to sign the papers to enter as a boy seaman . He thought he was doing me a good turn , maybe he was ,but was not appreciated at that time. Most fathers in 1952 still had experiences of serving in the armed forces during the war and didn’t want the same for their offspring. In retrospect however if had done the 22 years from 18 could have come out at 40 with a pension and still carried on and do exactly as I did in any case.So parents aren’t always correct in their good intentions . I have never tried to interfere with my own children in what they want to do , apart from them going for further education , which I never enforced . Cheers JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Funny thing John S, is my parents idea was an apprenticeship was the way to go, and talked me into the trade of shoe repairing, i hated it, and only ever wanted to go to sea, my father who was in the Royal Marines only ever said that i would not like going to sea, well, i soon packed in the shoe repair lark, and at 16 went to sea school, and as we all say here, wonderful life. When i met my wife to be, and decided as much as i love the sea, it was time to come ashore, when i sat my AB exam, it involved one day at West Ham fire station, the guy running the course told us how short of firemen they were (1961) and so the seed was sown. Again my parents tried to talk me out of it, but i went ahead and spent 30 years there, so it seems every time i went against my parents advice, it panned out good, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That was the only way I could get to sea Keith was if the old man saw the word apprentice then all was normal. JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think that was knock on from the depression days, when a skilled time served man could get a job when others could not, and so parents had been brought up with that thought, but never regret going against my parents wishes, sounds like i,m a bloody know-all , but hell, have i made some mistakes in my life, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At the age of 15 I wanted to go whaling, brought up with stories of big pay days for six months work. My mother thought differently and I received an engineering apprenticeship, so when completed I went to sea as a junior engineer. At that time even if you had a trade it was still hire and fire and you could be out of work for sometime if there was a down turn in trade. A few of the apprentices did not carry on in their trade and became bus drivers, firemen and prison warders at that time safe jobs with a pension. One or two returning from National Service, they had to be give six months employment to find new jobs. They had acquired other skills in the forces and one I remember had been a "Red Cap" so applied to join the Lancaster Police Force and was excepted. If anything having a trade was something to fall back on if thing didn't work out.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Vernon.
    The cut of date for going to sea and not having to join up was 26 and a half, I did just under 10 years before I emigrated to NZ, I was three months short of my 27th birthday when I sailed from Southampton and when we reached Cap Town I got my call up papers, I didn't know whether to fly home like a good chap or tell them to get stuffed , I did the latter.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

10. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We’re you a publican ? That’s the trade mum and dad went into afterwards

12. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)