Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: New Member just saying Hello

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New Member just saying Hello

#10 Some still go the wrong way round out here today also JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 3rd July 2021 at 07:14 AM.
    R575129

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz, John Gill liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Swimming in the north sea joh off shields beach ...your goolies can certainly do a turtle and disapear ......happily ......on warming up on a bag of chips they do eventually return ......in sydney harbour once gone ...gone forever ...have stated before the boat capsized due to drunkenness by all aboard 9 or 10 guys ...i discovered i was not a hero thinking of saving others but swam to the gangway at water level with goolies clasped in right hand ...while swimming with left hand ...till complete fear took over and i let loose hold on said jewels and swam surely breaking world records.....the rest of the drunken swimmers got aboard......only too start fighting in lumps as to who capsized the boat.....wreckiing the sailors mess were a second engineer pulled 6 or seven plates out the plate rack and smashed them on an ABs head ...whereupon the fighting stopped as he looked like he was dead but resumed when he stirred.....oh happy days while the clowns face at luna park could be seen smiling his welcome .....ps as a f irst foriegn going tripper i waited the opportune moment then smackes an SOS while he wasnt loooking.....he was bigger than me with a bigger gob....delighted with my nights survival i trotted off to my wanker feeling quite proud of my survival in oz oh happy days ......old roberts sent the chief steward to find out who smashed the plates ......but to no avail ...ps again i was learning about foriegn going seamens lives and loved every minute of it.....R683532

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is a swimming group in tiddly Bay who go in every New Year’s Day rain or shine. They call themselves the Winkles a very appropriate name no doubt. JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john sabourn #14
    you should get in touch with the exporter of the wee willie brushes, they would be sold out over the xmass as presents for those hardy folk
    tom

6. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome Brian from another ex UK cop, in my case Bristol. Your message implies you served to retirement though I lasted only 7 years. Could no long stand nights in the cold or giving out motoring tickets for things which I may well have done myself. Resigned in 1964 and shifted to NZ with South African wife (Ex East London SA) and 7-year son. Started our own business in NZ then sold for more money than I had previously seen figures for when a local Agent walked in the door to make a client offer. Then did a basic NZ law course and joined an Auckland law firm, then another, before retiring in 1998. Now living in a retirement village at 90 years. Our son died at 25 years and wife 18-months ago. Like yourself, I have an interest in world wars as I was at school during WW2 - safely in a real country village in Herefordshire. My sea time from 1948 to 1957, finally as AB & QM. I hope you find interesting subjects in this forum. Good luck.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#16 Ken you would of been in the police force probably the same as Brian when the physical attributes of height etc. had to be considered .One of the things on reflection that struck me in Australia was all the short police officers some as short and some even shorter than me at 5 ft. 8 inches . I have never asked but there must be a very short height required out here, and they don’t even wear helmets to make them look bigger . Perhaps the equaliser is the firearm they carry, but believe a lot of police in UK are armed today , is this correct anyone in UK has noticed .? Cheers JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #16 Ken you would of been in the police force probably the same as Brian when the physical attributes of height etc. had to be considered .One of the things on reflection that struck me in Australia was all the short police officers some as short and some even shorter than me at 5 ft. 8 inches . I have never asked but there must be a very short height required out here, and they don’t even wear helmets to make them look bigger . Perhaps the equaliser is the firearm they carry, but believe a lot of police in UK are armed today , is this correct anyone in UK has noticed .? Cheers JS.
    John it is rare to see a police man where I live in London whether armed or otherwise.

10. Likes j.sabourn, Tony Taylor, N/A, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: New Member just saying Hello

#18. "it is rare to see a police man where I live in London whether armed or not"

John I have several family in the Met.Police and a friend in the City of London Police and I often travel into or through the capital.
    I assure you there are always a lot of uniformed police around Westminster ,for obvious reasons. There are also scores of plain clothes officers ,both targetting general crime and anti-terrorist related ,around major tourist spots like Oxford Street and Piccadilly and previously terrorist targeted spots like the London Bridge/Borough area. I feel comparatively safe in London compared with some world capitals
    Last edited by Graham Shaw; 4th July 2021 at 11:43 AM.

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your are right about height John #16, I tried for another force but was one inch too short so was was shuffled off to Bristol where 5'9' was accepted which, with its helmet, would make one look at least 6 feet. Helmets had their uses, particularly for smokers, which is not me, as they would keep their fag packet therein to avoid ugly looking uniform bulging pockets. NZ police are not armed, except in emergencies, though carry a pistol in cars. Like other countries I guess, there is also a fully armed squad on call. I have no idea about NZ force heights.
    Ken T
    R412277

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did a stint in the South African Traffic Police Force Ken which was at times pretty daunting as well, especially with the likes of some we had around! LOL
    Was with the Road Motor Cycle Department on the old Harley,s great Bikes to Ride!
    See your dear Wife came from East London, a lovely City as i recall it some Years ago though now. Capt has a story about a good mate who saved his life there and always posts it on a Yearly basis in remembrance! Good on him.

Spent many a day there in East London as well, it was always a very neat and clean City! Alwya remember the beautiful Orient Beach! Some good times there!
    Cheers
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 5th July 2021 at 05:04 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast