Thread: Hello All

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hello All

Hi Everybody,

I'm trying to find out as much as I can about getting into the Merchant Navy, and this seems like a great resource, so I've signed up.

I look forward to learning about life at sea, and getting to know regular members!

Cheers for now,

- Jonathan

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Graham Payne, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hello All

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Cameron View Post
    Hi Everybody,

I'm trying to find out as much as I can about getting into the Merchant Navy, and this seems like a great resource, so I've signed up.

I look forward to learning about life at sea, and getting to know regular members!

Cheers for now,

- Jonathan

morning jonathan ...nice to see you have signed on we sail monday am ..hope you have all your gear ....its a two year trip ......on a old banger ...with mixed crowd of geordies kiwis scousers cockneys jocks ozzies and a irish bloke while mothers are marion brenda and victoria ...sailing from canny shields....dont forget your seaboots and bring yer own bog rolls the chief steward is as mean as lucifer ....lol cappy...stated jokewise of course...ps do you like scouse and greengage jam....regards cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now hear this ! The Chief Steward (as has not been mentioned by name (Actually Doc ) is not really one old meanie ) LOL
    But can be a stickler on the use of certain Commodities on this Trip! ?? I wonder what >>
    LOL
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Now hear this ! The Chief Steward (as has not been mentioned by name (Actually Doc ) is not really one old meanie ) LOL
    But can be a stickler on the use of certain Commodities on this Trip! ?? I wonder what >>
    LOL
    what nee baccy and what aboot an apple barrel .....JWS likes the apple barrel .......cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    what nee baccy and what aboot an apple barrel .....JWS likes the apple barrel .......cappy
    greengage jam ......making ist trippers show there blue sheets easily stained then telling them ......nobody would wash the im not touching them wash them youself and off you go and hang them on the boat deck for all to see..and wear some boxing gloves in yer pit......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#2 If your choice of toilet rolls are past editions of the News of the World which is quite feasible as they are large sheets. And the reading material is quite conducive to where you will be reading it, is best to crumple up before use, as this takes the stiffness out of the paper and more conducive to its present use. However it may leave newsprint on areas not sighted, so be careful if you are employed by UCL for offers of help to examine for such on your nether regions, especially if the offers come from someone with a squeaky voice. JS

#4 As regards Cappys mesmiration with seaboots and apple barrels he has never got over his first experience with same. He was told it was his job to don the seaboots and get in the barrel and dance on the apples to make them into cider , after doing so , he got out and told to pull the bung out and fill the contents into buckets for the boys. When he asked what he should do with the bung some wise ass told him where to put it ,saying it would help him if he ever met someone with a squeaky voice, think it maybe still there where he first put it. He tried to blame me but I squeaked up I would never do such a thing. Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 25th May 2021 at 01:40 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1... Johnathan If your trying to find out about life at sea today, you would have to ask for a sensible answer from someone who was at present serving. Most on here are going back to their own experiences and mixed with a lot of banter. Probably only the banter is the only thing that hasnt changed. If you are thinking it was all rosy you would have to recognise it wasnt. Although most of us look back with nostalgia it was at the time the recognised lifestyle and everyone was in the same boat so as to speak. Today the UK doesnt have a Merchant Navy as to numbers and training as it once had and doubt it will ever get back to what it was. The same as it wont go back to children climbing chimneys to clean. They call it progress. But it has been progress with a hard and high Bill to pay , with all the people it put out of work, who are mostly forgotten in todays world, the only place you will find the truth of the past is on sites like this which hold the few survivors of a past generation. Whatever government or dictatorship of the future does not want is past true history shoved under their noses, however they have a fight on their hands if they try to erase it and they know it only too well. However the sea will always be there and it has more attractions to some than others. It can and does talk back to you but watch it and be careful when it gets angry. Enjoy your soujourneys through life whatever you do. Cheers JS

Added from lessons to be learned in life...
    I’ve seen better days.
    I’ve also seen worse.
    I don’t have everything. I want.
    But I do have all that I need,
    I woke up with some aches and pains,
    But I woke up.
    My life may not be perfect,
    But I am blessed.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 25th May 2021 at 03:44 AM.
    R575129

9. Thanks cappy, Graham Shaw thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now Doc, lets get this straight chief and second stewards are by nature mean barstewards.

They will not give you anything extra.

So you only have half ship full, well all the tea you will get is in this tin, f you want more then I suggest you go ashore for it.

That was a comment by a second steward on the Windsor when we had only one sitting in the dining saloon.
    One smart winger took the wet tea leaves out of the pot after use, put then in the hot press and said we can use them again!!!!!!

Mate I am sure you experienced similar with UCL.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Likes Doc Vernon, vic mcclymont, cappy liked this post