Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: SS Kalev Arctic Convoys & Normandy Campaign

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: SS Kalev Arctic Convoys & Normandy Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    This may all seem weird to a shore person , but strange things happen at sea. JS
    My dad was "shore guy" and never ever spent a day at sea. Yet after he got married to my mom and while he worked for a Swiss bank, he was approached by both nations (UK & Swiss), as there had been some sort of espionage going on within the expat community working in the banking and financial sector. There was a case where a group of "nature loving" German and Austrian expats who made use of the various incentive packages that those banks used to offer to their employees, like skiing weekends or hiking trips around the Swiss alps. Quite often, the Swiss nationals among the employees where also higher officers within the Swiss Army, and while not directly disclosing secrets, it would be a common thing to share tales here and there about what they did or about bunker systems and other military installations, especially once the wine and Schnapps started flowing. Anyway, in once such case, the federal police raided several homes of expats working together with my dad, and he was also taken into questioning. The reason was, that some of those guys were found taking notes and drawing military related details onto maps, locating and describing bits and pieces of secret military installations. Basically misusing those weekend trips along with whatever comments some people made, to gather info or intelligence for some foreign nation. It was assumed that it was an intelligence gathering effort by the DDR or USSR, and as my dad was obviously cleared and some way considered as "pro West/anti Communist", he was asked if he would help to look out for anything and anyone suspicious among his colleagues. He told me that he declined and from then on was never approached again, but that the same request and approach was made from both the Brits as well as by the Swiss.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#47 The notes your granddad made of 1963 , I could quote word for word similar to myself in 1964 with the same offer of camera etc. which I knocked back and know exactly what they were seeking . On my refusal to accept the camera the MOD man said your not very patriotic are you ? My answer to him was you give me a signed paper saying you will support my wife and family whilst I am in a Russian Gaol , he came back 3 times and got the same answer. When in Murmansk which is Russia’s biggest ice free port for its massive submarine fleet at the time, security was very strict even though it was not noticeable. All radio transmissions approaching the port background noise and static blotted out and no transmissions were supposedly allowed . Your electric sounding machine was Immediately made inoperable the same as your radios on arrival. If you put a line over the side to fish the ship would be swooped on by armed soldiers on the assumption you were sounding the harbour , so the ship was certainly being observed all the time there. Curfews existed ashore and 2200 hours and that was it. The only place to go was the seaman’s club , with young girls supposedly practicing their English speaking skills , but more interested more in what you thought of the World situation. Murmansk as you know is a big naval port and at that time it was estimated that the Russian submarine fleet exceeded 1000 vessels .When you consider the damage Hitler did with 600 and never had more than 400 hundred operational at one time people were no doubt very nervous. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 21st August 2022 at 12:19 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only place to go was the seaman’s club , with young girls supposedly practicing their English speaking skills
    Haha, reminds me about when I had some job assignments in Yangon a few years ago, there was little to do in terms of nightlife and while I wasn't really that much of a nightlife warrior, coming and going on trips lasting from a few days to sometimes 2-3 month, you're sooner or later going to end up in one of those places where you'd find a bar serving along international standards. Anyone who knows places likes Vietnam or Myanmar can tell you that out in the rural areas, even in something like the best hotel in town, you're going to have a hard time ordering something as simple as a Gin Tonic, besides the common stuff like a Red or Black Label, Jack, Chivas etc, only available by the bottle or in many cases even fake. And Yangon back then when I was there, was one of those places where only a handful of places knew and where able to serve you a real Gin Tonic or so.

Well, after some time staying at the same hotel, just shuttling to work and back, with the occasional stroll around town, looking for a bite or just to see a bit of the local areas, but other than that not much "drinking or party time", I was approached by a group of nice Sri Lankan blokes who noticed me as they had been there for a few years, working in the telecom business and thought I might need some help to get around. Needless to say, I had done my homework prior to my first trip, talking to expats I knew from Saigon and who knew Yangon in and out, and so I probably knew more about Yangon than they knew.

However, there was one thing which never crossed my mind, as I had nothing to do with "secret stuff" and nothing to hide about my activities there. But they warned me to be very careful whenever meeting such "English speaking skill improving seeking folks", be it hookers or the innocent geeky looking waiter asking small talk question if you're a Man-U fan or whatever else might be streaming on the TV. They told me that most staff working in hotels or venues catering to foreigners are usually trained or used by the secret police as informants and that they reported everything you said the moment you left. They also claimed the rooms and all phones to be bugged and that your movements were constantly being tracked. However, this was something I already experienced in VN and didn't bother me, yet I was and am aware of it as an existing reality. It's wise to be quiet and keep a low profile, even if you're not a double O operative, and finally, as long as you're not OBL or the leader of a Drug Cartel, you've got no reason to be worried about some Stasi kind of network existing or operating around you.

Anyway, I like your comments, I'm sure you'd have enough tales to make up some nice Hollywood movies or write a few interesting books!

Thanks for sharing!

5. Likes Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

to get back on the topic of my grandads memoirs regarding his mysterious Murmansk Arctic Convoys, I hope that I am successfully able to upload these bits I just got scanned.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 21st August 2022 at 09:44 PM.

7. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just uploaded some pages from the memories I recently found, written at some time long ago by my grandad. I was only able to upload 7 pages so far, I'll try to upload more later on. PS: besides the rules of this forum, I am fine with anyone using them and their content and if someone wishes to receive the full files in PDF format, pls contact me.

Cheers.

here's the link to my album containing the scans : https://www.merchant-navy.net/galler...y.php?cat=1288

9. Thanks Doc Vernon, j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for that Dennis Interesting readings!
    I have just Enlarged the few on the Previous posting, the others in the Gallery will be readable if whoever just Double clicks on each in turn. If not will have to try and use an Enlargement Program.
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

11. Thanks Dennis Billaney thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Would be nice Dennis if you could Possibly get all the Files Together as one, and Post here !??

But i am not sure then if the File would possibly be too large as a PDF!

If you already have them in PDF Format as one have you tried to upload as such? Just asking.

Otherwise i would like a copy of the PDF i will send my Email in Private Message
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

13. Thanks Dennis Billaney thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Would be nice Dennis if you could Possibly get all the Files Together as one, and Post here !??

But i am not sure then if the File would possibly be too large as a PDF!

If you already have them in PDF Format as one have you tried to upload as such? Just asking.

Otherwise i would like a copy of the PDF i will send my Email in Private Message
    Cheers
    I tried to upload as PDF, not sure why it didn't work, but that's why I then edited screenshots and uploaded as images (png).

Anyway, just sent you all in PDF to your yahoo, pls check.

BR

15. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Denis if you have any of your grandfathers notes further to those shown in the 1963 era they may also mention two or 3 medium sized boxes usually stowed under the forecastle. Head if no other suitable space . Many may of not known what they contained, and if he didn’t mention , they were for ships use and contained various flag hoists and the equipment for measuring a persons level of radio activity. Also what he wouldnt have seen unless he was master at the time would be the various cyphers and instructions for on the out break of war . To my knowledge these cyphers were still carried on British ships into the 80s. There were certain courses where one was instructed in the use of. The only defence against radiation is to get as many bulkheads between yourself and the outside air. On a ship under attack of a more physical nature. You are going to need people out in the open. So depending on how many rotogens a person had attained depends his expected life expectancy , so those with the death curse hanging over him was the shortest straw for working outside. Again however you would not let this information available as may cause a bit of upset no doubt. Don’t think British ships carry this equipment any longer , anyhow there are no British ships to put it on . The equipment for measuring radioactivety was the main thing in those cartons . JS
    PS As regards the cyphers kept in the safe, these were handed back to the Admiralty if going to the likes of
    Russia. As were for your eyes only as they say in the spy novels. If wanting to be melodramatic and writing about such , this is what the author would call sealed orders . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 22nd August 2022 at 11:44 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Denis if you have any of your grandfathers notes further to those shown in the 1963 era ,,,,
    JS,

There might be more but I'll have to wait until I manage to get back over to Europe and poke around in those boxes. I believe I found most of the "war era" related things but I know I haven't been able to check everything and basically just grabbed a those which I was able to sift through and identify as "priority" in terms of what I was mainly searching for. However, as he kept nearly everything right down to phone and electric bills, there's a good chance I'll one day recover more related to the "spy era" topic, considering there's a few piles I've not yet been able to "even" touch!

Yet this entire topic is something totally new to me, I have no recollection of Grandad or my father mentioning anything about such post WW2/Cold War activities. It was a real surprise to me when I stumbled across it! Also, by the time I was old or mature enough, he had reached an age where he obviously wasn't able to recall or share much and he was literally stuck with his daily obsession to speak about firstly, the Normandy invasion and something taking place in Caen, and another constant topic was the Scharnhorst, however, not about it's sinking or anything taking place during the war, but more about his frustration that he apparently kept reporting the location of her wreck, while everyone was searching for her. He said he knew the exact spot for years, as I recall because his nets got ripped to shred and then with ground sonar, he said he was able to make out the details which he said could only be the Scharnhorst. I last met him in 2005 and he had some VHS cassette recording from 2000 with some documentary about the "finding" of the Scharnhorst and how they spent zillions to confirm what he had known all along...

Well anyway, sadly there's nobody around who I could ask about those "3 medium sized boxes" or anything else about that era, but who knows what the future might bring!

(you'll be the first to know...)

Cheers

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6