Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Joe Buntin WW2 Arctic Convoys

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: Joe Buntin WW2 Arctic Convoys

Possibly, began with RN - gunnery DEM's training then MN vessels?

Seems to be him, listed as a deck hand S/S Empire Airman 1945.

record-image_ (7).jpg

Joseph Buntin
    New York, New York Passenger and Crew Lists, 1909, 1925-1957

Name:
    Joseph Buntin
    Event Type:
    Immigration
    Event Date:
    Event Place:
    New York City, New York, United States
    Sex:
    Male
    Birth Year (Estimated):
    Birthplace:
    British
    Ship Name:
    S/S Empire Airman

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 7th April 2021 at 05:54 PM.

2. Thanks Sharon Sorensen thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have done an online search for a Joseph Buntin at Kew for Merchant Navy records and can confirm there is no known or surviving files in BT372 for his Seaman's Pouch. Nothing in BT395 Medal files for him and nothing in BT390 for Merchant Seamen's Service on Royal Navy Ships under the T124 Agreements. The only other option if you are sure he was MN is to check the Fifth Register for his CRS10 service file. If it still exists it will be in file BT 382/229 covering the surnames "Bunn A E to Burby L" These records are held in block of up to 60 individuals and would require a trip to Kew where you can check the files for free or employ a private researcher. Cost vary and can be very expensive.
    Last edited by DeepSea; 7th April 2021 at 06:32 PM.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

4. Thanks N/A, Sharon Sorensen thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As Keith has pointed out in post #11 if that is him listed on the SS Empire Airman as a "Deck Hand" then he was not Merchant Navy, but a DEMS Gunner either from the Royal Navy or Royal Artillery Maritime Regt.

Attachment to small Keith cant read it. Can you enlarge please Doc.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

6. Thanks N/A, Sharon Sorensen thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

The info gives his Nationality as Scottish
    and two years service, hope Doc can enlarge the image.

K.

8. Thanks Sharon Sorensen thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just a remark on the name Buntin. I went to school about 1948 to 1952 with a Brian Buntin . However I thought it was spelt Bunting so may have been wrong , although it wasn’t him could of by a long shot of the same family. This was in NE England , where was the person from who is being searched for ? JS
    R575129

10. Thanks Sharon Sorensen thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The T 124 I was always led to believe was a wartime short cut for manning . During the war and after and still today I believe , and for those who follow Google they also had Naval party’s which consisted of mixed manning. But as Deep sea says they weren’t commissioned warships. The only time I was led to believe different was when in 1964 I sailed with 2 old MN officers who were full of it I later found out, one was 66 years of age and reckoned he was the navigator of a British fleet sent to Australia , I later found out he was T124 and in the QM stores in Sydney NSW, the other was the 3 mate who had very little knowledge of bridge duties , but both were good romancers and believe their version of the truth was scanty. However I can vouch for naval party’s with mixed crews , go to google and see the dozens of such past and present. You may also see the one 1007 which I was a member of for 4 years . When I applied for the MN badge a few years ago the reply didn’t come from the MNA it came from the M.0.D and was not what I expected but was enscribed Veteran of H.M. Armed Forces. JS..

Further to Naval Parties most if not all merchant ships during the Falklands war had naval parties on board especially of the signals branch . And all of these ships would of had a designated Naval party number .This was confirmed to me last week at the ancient mariners meeting last week in believe it or not in an RAAFA establishment where a newly joined couple man and wife both ex RN confirmed that he had been a member on s merchant ship in the invasion fleet . Will ask him next time see what it’s number was if I remember. However he was a weapons officer. He knew all about my experiences with the Stingray Torpedo . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 8th April 2021 at 02:26 AM.
    R575129

12. Thanks Sharon Sorensen thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    where was the person from who is being searched for ? JS

#5: Mary Street, Glasgow, Scotland

K.

14. Thanks j.sabourn, Sharon Sorensen thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Hopefully, Sharon will reply /update.

K.

16. Thanks Sharon Sorensen thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DeepSea View Post
    As Keith has pointed out in post #11 if that is him listed on the SS Empire Airman as a "Deck Hand" then he was not Merchant Navy, but a DEMS Gunner either from the Royal Navy or Royal Artillery Maritime Regt.

Attachment to small Keith cant read it. Can you enlarge please Doc.
    Touch wood Doc is just a bit busy and may assist ASAP.

Keith.

18. Thanks Sharon Sorensen thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello everyone. Thank you for all your help so far. My Grandfather never went to the USA so I don’t think it can be him listed as a deck hand, but I will double check with my mother and my uncle.

He was definitely MN and not RN, my other Grandfather was RN. Joe was very quick to correct me if I muddled them up when I was wee. It came as a surprise to me to see HMS London on his booklet after he died, this is written in pencil, was that common?

It’s interesting not least because Buntin is not that common a name. Variants such as Bunton, Bunting and Buntine are far more common, so I now wonder if there has been a spelling error somewhere, surely not?

It’s looking more and more likely that I’m going to have to wait until I’m allowed to visit Kew. I’m in Edinburgh so I’ve no idea when restrictions will be lifted to allow us across the border.

Thank you all very much for your help so far. Seems he’s a bit of an enigma.

20. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast